Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Daytime sailings in the Med?

Dear all

This week's quick trip to Portsmouth made me realise how much I miss the mini-cruises which we used to enjoy from the UK to St Malo or Santander (not necessarily BF packages) and the day trips using the company's promo offers on here.

So this year we're tempted to head for Roscoff for a quick run to Plymouth

But I've also been wondering if there are any daytime sailings in the Med - preferably Marseiile to Corse, but others considered.

Daytime both ways or one way daytime or overnight back – with or without a night ashore. (A day at sea gives Mrs W happy memories of her previous career on board Oriana, Canberra and the Princesses)  I've been rummaging around the various operators' websites, but so far haven't seen any. 

[I say ex Marseille simply because it's high on my list of French places to visit – lifted by the TV series on Netflix, if anyone saw that.Think House of Cards transposed to the Mairie - great stuff. But other departures could work, provided they are easily accessible by train]

TIA

Ken

There are very few day sailings between Marseille and Corsica. The obvious option is to take Moby or Corsica Ferries from Toulon or Nice where there are a multitude of departures. However they can be tremendously hectic experiences in peak season as hundreds are hustled on and hustled off with very short turnarounds. 

There are however a couple of Marseille-Corsica options. 

Firstly the Monte d'Oro makes a regular weekly Ile Rousse-Marseille day sailing to keep her on schedule. She's distinctly unglamorous so that's one strictly for the dedicated enthusiast. 

A better alternative is the Danielle Casanova which, on a few weekends in July and August, diverts from her usual north African service and makes a Friday night out/Saturday day back round trip to Bastia (followed by a pair of overnighters to/from Ajaccio). She's the only real cruiseferry still operating with Corsican Linea and possibly makes for the most interesting option. On the downside the Bastia route is the shortest of the Corsican ones unfortunately so you're off quite early and you'd probably be bussed round to the terminal in Bastia to check in again for the return leg. 

The last option is probably the one I'd go for - again in peak season only the Jean Nicoli (ex-Pasiphae) is taken off her usual 36 hour Sunday/Monday layover to make a day sailing direct from Marseille to Porto Torres on Sardinia, returning overnight. That would give a good, long day at sea on a rather nice (albeit very slightly dogeared through use) late '90s high-quality ro-pax with well designed public spaces and a decent waiter-service restaurant.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hhvferry said:

There are very few day sailings between Marseille and Corsica. The obvious option is to take Moby or Corsica Ferries from Toulon or Nice where there are a multitude of departures. However they can be tremendously hectic experiences in peak season as hundreds are hustled on and hustled off with very short turnarounds. 

There are however a couple of Marseille-Corsica options. 

Firstly the Monte d'Oro makes a regular weekly Ile Rousse-Marseille day sailing to keep her on schedule. She's distinctly unglamorous so that's one strictly for the dedicated enthusiast. 

A better alternative is the Danielle Casanova which, on a few weekends in July and August, diverts from her usual north African service and makes a Friday night out/Saturday day back round trip to Bastia (followed by a pair of overnighters to/from Ajaccio). She's the only real cruiseferry still operating with Corsican Linea and possibly makes for the most interesting option. On the downside the Bastia route is the shortest of the Corsican ones unfortunately so you're off quite early and you'd probably be bussed round to the terminal in Bastia to check in again for the return leg. 

The last option is probably the one I'd go for - again in peak season only the Jean Nicoli (ex-Pasiphae) is taken off her usual 36 hour Sunday/Monday layover to make a day sailing direct from Marseille to Porto Torres on Sardinia, returning overnight. That would give a good, long day at sea on a rather nice (albeit very slightly dogeared through use) late '90s high-quality ro-pax with well designed public spaces and a decent waiter-service restaurant.

Thanks much for that, hhvferry. We're looking for early season – probably late March or April - before or after Easter, so not too crowded, I hope. By May the Med is too hot for me. But I will certainly take another look at Toulon, although even there overnights seem to predominate.

Otherwise we will look at the BF minicruise to Santander.

1 hour ago, kenw said:

Otherwise we will look at the BF minicruise to Santander.

How’s about the Monday crew change stopoff in Roscoff by CF (it’s offered as available on the French BF website) on down to Santander, back up to Plymouth and back over to Roscoff?

Actually, that’s maybe what you meant + maybe the CF doesn’t return to Plymouth?  Don’t know - would need to check the schedules, but others will know straightaway!

Interesting topic. I'm also considering a trip away from my normal Baltic stomping ground in favour of warmer climes and I'm thinking about Grimaldi's Barcelona/Rome service as something a little different. Anyone tried it lately ?