Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

Cabins for Passengers with Restricted Mobility

2 minutes ago, Solo said:

That's the Internet Neil, sometimes things come over sharper than you would say them face to face, the thing is on here we're all friends.

My tact bone is very small , certainly didn’t mean to offend anyone,sometimes things typed in a joking manner don’t come across that way.

• Like 1

On 12/01/2018 at 18:26, Cabin-boy said:

Colin, I wasn't suggesting that your age and difficulty in climbing into upper bunks is a disability. What I am suggesting is that you be offered a cabin which is more adapted to your needs (in the same way that a couple with a baby in a cot might need more space but both prefer to be on the same level) and thereby freeing up space in 4-berth cabins for larger groups of people. 

I fully accept that it is a free market and it's first come first served. But if that means people are deciding not to book a trip because there is no more accommodation available (despite there being plenty of car space) then BF are sailing under capacity. This is unlikely to be a problem out of season but in the summer months it seems illogical. The only way around it would be for the price of cabins to vary depending on the size of the party. The software would be required to increase the price of a 4-berth if the booking is only for 2 people. That way you could dissuade people from being greedy (for want of a better word), satisfy a greater number of passengers overall and still allow people to upgrade once on board if they expressed a desire for a bigger cabin at the time of booking (and some are still available) but at the same higher price they would have originally paid. Ed. 

Although this seems logical Ed and I see where you are coming from to a certain extent. Why should a party of two be ‘penalised’ as they want a bigger cabin. If BF offered a two birth commodore or club plus then this wouldn’t be a problem but they don’t. Why shouldn’t we be able to get the top of the range cabins if we are happy to pay 

Well, I have got an inside four berth for two for our May trip to the Loire so I am a happy bunny. In my view, shipping companies should only be offering lower berths these days, It's 2018 for heaven's sake, not steerage in 1920!

Both Mrs Bear and myself will be 75 this year. We are both reasonably fit, but really don't want to clamber up into a top berth.

Edited by veryoldbear

11 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Well, I have got an inside four berth for two for our May trip to the Loire so I am a happy bunny. In my view, shipping companies should only be offering lower berths these days, It's 2018 for heaven's sake, not steerage in 1920!

It would be nice but how big would the boat be if all the 4 berths had 4 individual beds?  All cabins would be the same size as the De Luxe cabins.

Cruise ship cabins are normally just doubles/twins. A small proportion may have an extra bed shoe horned in or even a fold down bunk. This gives optimum flexibility. If all cabins had four berths then then many would only be at half capacity as couples travelling together will normally outnumber parties of four or at least make up a significant proportion of the passenger load. If you have four people then book two cabins.

Today's upper bunk beds are really the modern equivalent of the original reclining seats, people expect a bit more these days than back in the 80s and 90s. We did try reclining seats once long ago and swore never to again, it wasn't a good start to the holiday.

Probably most adults don’t like top bunks but children love too bunks especially if they don’t have them at home seems a waste of space to get rid of them in my opinion.

• Like 2

Probably most adults don’t like top bunks but children love too bunks especially if they don’t have them at home seems a waste of space to get rid of them in my opinion.

Yes, I think you are right there, just being on a ferry is bad enough for a lot of people. I am not suggesting that they be removed although I wonder to what extent they should be included in new builds. In the meantime I think that BF's policy of advertising the 'Large Cabin for 1 to 4 persons' is simply recognising that expected standards have moved on since the ships were built.

I never minded the top bunks myself until I got to my 60s but increasing stiffness makes them more difficuly when you are approaching 70.

I suppose the other alternative is to offer cabins with connecting doors so that BF can then sell two or four berths as required. The problem with that is passengers would need to book very early to guarantee contiguous cabins in the location they want. Of course, if they weren't so freight - dependant then cars could be carried lower in the vessel and an extra deck for cabins made available. Ed

We only use Commodore cabins, because we consider a crossing with BF to be an integral part of our holiday and we want to enjoy it in comfort. (People will have different views about that, but we are entitled to ours and consider the cost of the premium cabin to be money well spent).

Since our family went from 3 to 4 and the last one became too big for the cots, we have been unable to consider the overnight Portsmouth-St Malo crossing for our itinerary, because Bretagne’s Commodores (like Normandie’s) are only 3-berth.  MSM and Pont Aven can sleep 4 by virtue of the bunk you can pull down from the ceiling.  Getting rid of this facility would be a backward step in my view.

When Bretagne is replaced on the St Malo route, we will be able to use it overnight again.  Meanwhile, we will continue to use the Thursday nighter to Roscoff as our first choice outbound sailing, and to enjoy Bretagne by day heading north on the best France-UK day crossing available by a country mile.

• Like 1