Gareth

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018

Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

Message added by Admin

51 minutes ago, breizhFan said:

Could you give  a ballpark figure on the cost? thanks.

I was wondering that too.

With RyanAir quoting about £80 p.p return from Dublin to Santander,  or vice versa, in April,  was mentally adding in car hire and wondering how it compared 

I doubt he got much change from £600 if it's two adults and a car with a cabin both ways. But I may be pleasantly surprised. Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

50 minutes ago, wortley said:

With RyanAir quoting about £80 p.p return from Dublin to Santander,  or vice versa, in April,  was mentally adding in car hire and wondering how it compared 

What about all the junk which you can't take on the plane with you!?

My daughter even flies with Flybe from Southampton to Nantes or Brest - that's £80 p.p return in August, so miles cheaper than taking a car and a cabin on Bretagne - and rents a car when she arrives. I hope this new route to Spain is not going to be overpriced if it is relying heavily on tourist traffic. 

Edited by wortley

For me it is still hard to compare the two though. On a plane you can take what you can carry in essence, and what baggage you've paid for. I like to take a lot with me, and buy a lot when I am there, so it's a premium... just like I would pay £48 - £76 in extra luggage on a return Easyjet flight, but of course I can take far less then.

It's the full package really isn't it folks?

Most travellers are increasingly smart and pick travel options that work best overall for them and deliver best value (and value is relative too as say somebody is self-employed, wasting a day travelling when they could be working means even a much cheaper option can become very costly).

I am sure BF's pricing structure will reflect all this.  The target audience isn't those currently flying Dublin - Santander but those Irish (and those from mainland Europe) wanting to travel with their own car and a stack of stuff.  Most of these people will already be doing so by a variety of other methods.

The people who will cry that the route is too expensive will mostly be those who aren't currently doing such trips to Spain by car and never would unless unrealistically cheap.

Edited by RickOShea
  • Like 1

I’ve never been able to take all my camping gear by plane, thus ruling that out. My parents haven’t worked out how to take their caravan by plane either. For many it’s not an option looking at all the fully loaded cars and caravans in season.

7 hours ago, breizhFan said:

Could you give  a ballpark figure on the cost? thanks.

We had a round trip booked for Bilbao-Portsmouth on July 3rd on Pont returning on 4th Sept Portsmouth-Santander on Cap. A christening on the 7th July and birthday on the 8th July required us in Cork so after a 859 mile drive south to north of Spain we would have driven Portsmouth-Coventry, Coventry-Holyhead say 500 miles. Irish ferry to Dublin, Dublin-Cork say 250 miles. An exhausting 4 days for a couple of 74yr olds.

The BF round trip would have been £564 for Alhambra + 2 pax less say £50 food discount for Club membership. The single passage Santander-Cork is €604 with no discount since no Club Voyage. You can see that at current FX rates one Club round trip from U.K. is about equal to the new route fare. However it is July and the Irish schools will be in their 2nd or 3rd holiday week. On the old route we would have required an extra couple of tanks of diesel say £150 and an Irish ferry fare of say £330 so for us it is a saving in cost but more important time and stress.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, wortley said:

We do that at Christmas Faro-Birmingham, Birmingham-Cork. Then return same route with hire car in Cork. Grandson in Coventry 2 granddaughters in Cork much cheaper and less stress than driving.

6 hours ago, hf_uk said:

What about all the junk which you can't take on the plane with you!?

On our return trip each September you would not believe how much you can pack into an Alhambra it is always packed to the roof and often heavy stuff as well. Eg washing machine, American style fridge freezer etc on separate trips of course.

3 hours ago, hf_uk said:

For me it is still hard to compare the two though. On a plane you can take what you can carry in essence, and what baggage you've paid for. I like to take a lot with me, and buy a lot when I am there, so it's a premium... just like I would pay £48 - £76 in extra luggage on a return Easyjet flight, but of course I can take far less then.

We just flew back after Christmas and had to book a large case over 20kg cost £60 extra for all the presents we had been bought.

3 hours ago, RickOShea said:

It's the full package really isn't it folks?

Most travellers are increasingly smart and pick travel options that work best overall for them and deliver best value (and value is relative too as say somebody is self-employed, wasting a day travelling when they could be working means even a much cheaper option can become very costly).

I am sure BF's pricing structure will reflect all this.  The target audience isn't those currently flying Dublin - Santander but those Irish (and those from mainland Europe) wanting to travel with their own car and a stack of stuff.  Most of these people will already be doing so by a variety of other methods.

The people who will cry that the route is too expensive will mostly be those who aren't currently doing such trips to Spain by car and never would unless unrealistically cheap.

There’s a lot of Irish people who live near us in Ayamonte Spain and along the Algarve in Portugal who make one trip a year by car either land bridge to U.K. Portsmouth-Santander/Bilbao or Cork-Rosscof and drive 2000 miles but fly for the in between trips.

6 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

We had a round trip booked for Bilbao-Portsmouth on July 3rd on Pont returning on 4th Sept Portsmouth-Santander on Cap. A christening on the 7th July and birthday on the 8th July required us in Cork so after a 859 mile drive south to north of Spain we would have driven Portsmouth-Coventry, Coventry-Holyhead say 500 miles. Irish ferry to Dublin, Dublin-Cork say 250 miles. An exhausting 4 days for a couple of 74yr olds.

The BF round trip would have been £564 for Alhambra + 2 pax less say £50 food discount for Club membership. The single passage Santander-Cork is €604 with no discount since no Club Voyage. You can see that at current FX rates one Club round trip from U.K. is about equal to the new route fare. However it is July and the Irish schools will be in their 2nd or 3rd holiday week. On the old route we would have required an extra couple of tanks of diesel say £150 and an Irish ferry fare of say £330 so for us it is a saving in cost but more important time and stress.

Thanks for the explanation John. Can I just check I understand? A return from Spain to the UK on non-economie ferries would have cost around €640 return for a car and two adults plus €550 for the second leg of the trip once you got to the UK. Therefore a total of €1,200 give or take. I can't quite see why you would cross to Ireland via Coventry and Dublin instead of taking the M4 and a ferry to Rosslare but perhaps you have specific reasons. In comparison, a one way ticket from Spain to Cork has cost you €600 and presumably a return (which you did not mention) would be about the same. So the costs of both options are almost exactly the same but it will take you half as long to do the trip, you will arrive less tired and there will be less wear and tear on your car. It seems like a good deal. Ed. 

29 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Thanks for the explanation John. Can I just check I understand? A return from Spain to the UK on non-economie ferries would have cost around €640 return for a car and two adults plus €550 for the second leg of the trip once you got to the UK. Therefore a total of €1,200 give or take. I can't quite see why you would cross to Ireland via Coventry and Dublin instead of taking the M4 and a ferry to Rosslare but perhaps you have specific reasons. In comparison, a one way ticket from Spain to Cork has cost you €600 and presumably a return (which you did not mention) would be about the same. So the costs of both options are almost exactly the same but it will take you half as long to do the trip, you will arrive less tired and there will be less wear and tear on your car. It seems like a good deal. Ed. 

The round trip was booked as soon as released by BF cost £564 (less £50 food discount), choice of west for ferry to Rosslare or north to Holyhead. Have found the trip out to west wales tedious in the past. Daughter and grandson live in Coventry (free bed and board). Drive from Dublin to cork motorway all the way very quick. Rosslare to Cork very slow tedious in summer single lane most of the way lots of motorhomes. Don’t want return as lots relatives to see in U.K. plus quality time with grandson in Coventry. Just find that a cost comparison between round trip Santander-Portsmouth £564 (cruise ferry)and one way Santander-Cork €604 (Economie) very stark. If you look at in terms of sea miles then twice the cost for a lesser service. The rest of the trip is all for good reasons such as birthdays etc. missing the extreme summer heat in Spain (43*C hottest day last year) and seeing other relatives who cannot fly/drive to Spain to see us. So a summer holiday for us in Ireland and U.K. over about 10 weeks.

13 hours ago, breizhFan said:

Thanks for all the detail and  between the jigs and the reels of it, this new route looks like it'll be a big stress saver!

So long as the weather behaves itself.  BF don't want too many passengers saying, "Never again!"

On 31/01/2018 at 07:47, JohnMustow said:

The round trip was booked as soon as released by BF cost £564 (less £50 food discount), choice of west for ferry to Rosslare or north to Holyhead. Have found the trip out to west wales tedious in the past. Daughter and grandson live in Coventry (free bed and board). Drive from Dublin to cork motorway all the way very quick. Rosslare to Cork very slow tedious in summer single lane most of the way lots of motorhomes. Don’t want return as lots relatives to see in U.K. plus quality time with grandson in Coventry. Just find that a cost comparison between round trip Santander-Portsmouth £564 (cruise ferry)and one way Santander-Cork €604 (Economie) very stark. If you look at in terms of sea miles then twice the cost for a lesser service. The rest of the trip is all for good reasons such as birthdays etc. missing the extreme summer heat in Spain (43*C hottest day last year) and seeing other relatives who cannot fly/drive to Spain to see us. So a summer holiday for us in Ireland and U.K. over about 10 weeks.

Also forgot to mention when you book with BF .ie the deposit is not a nice £35 soon to be £40  but a % of the price of the booking in my case €135  around 20%. Seems to the management at BF think they are on to a good thing with Irish sailings.

Or some EU ruling stating that any live animals being transported between member countries in enclosed spaces should be monitored at all times (unless in private vehicles or handbags), see Report BS2018, Section PT02, Clause WTF05. (I may have made that last bit up 😀) Ed. 

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

Is there nothing aesthetically appealing about these vessels at all? 

Apparently the cabins are spacious and quiet, but I agree a ship devoid of character and charm.

1 hour ago, Andy said:

This updated artists impression of the 'Connemara' shows her sporting an all-white livery.

5a7847f630ac8_Connemara-ArtistsWhite.thumb.png.df8ac156e38b2c0c352d04a8b30d3b87.png

Blue paint must be really expensive!