Gareth

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018

Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

Message added by Admin

2 minutes ago, Jim said:

Interesting to not see any mention of the word 'economie'... 

It's there in the press release.....

A new ship will be chartered for the service which will also deliver an additional weekly return-sailing from Cork to Roscoff in France. She will be called Connemara and will follow the successful économie model that the company has established on services from its UK hub in Portsmouth to Spain and Normandy.

"A new ship will be chartered for the service which will also deliver an additional weekly return-sailing from Cork to Roscoff in France."

Interesting line - does this mean a second Cork <> France sailing or is it that the ferry will do a Cork <> France sailing in addition to its Cork <> Spain routes and become the "Cork" ship and bye-bye Pont Aven ?

From what I gather there will be an additional Cork-Roscoff sailing... it will allow for a crew change (?) and also provide the opportunity for short breaks from Ireland. So the Connemara will do

Roscoff > Cork > Santander > Cork > Santander > Cork > Roscoff

My reading is it's the former (not the latter) of your suggestions. So there will be the usual Friday/Saturday out, Saturday/Sunday back trip on PA plus this new crossing, but starting from Cork - perhaps on Monday evening - to Roscoff and back again. Ed

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, des said:

"A new ship will be chartered for the service which will also deliver an additional weekly return-sailing from Cork to Roscoff in France."

Interesting line - does this mean a second Cork <> France sailing or is it that the ferry will do a Cork <> France sailing in addition to its Cork <> Spain routes and become the "Cork" ship and bye-bye Pont Aven ?

No.  Pont Aven (and the rest of the fleet) will be unaffected by this addition to the route network.

(You missed the significance of a little word in your quote.  As well as the "additional", there is also an "also".  The inclusion of the "also" in addition to the "additional" makes the meaning crystal clear I think! :))

• Like 1

There is a second, 'Irish' press release which contains the following (full document as an attachment)

"A new ship will be chartered to serve the route to Spain, and to deliver an additional weekly return-sailing from Cork to Roscoff. To be called Connemara, she will follow the successful économie model that the company has established on services from the UK to France & Spain. As well as opening a new route Connemara will add much needed capacity to the company’s existing line to France, creating more opportunities for short breaks."

16-01-18 Irl final - BRITTANY FERRIES CELEBRATES 40TH ANNIVERSARY WITH LAUNCH OF NEW DIRECT IRELAND TO SPAIN ROUTE IN 2018.pdf

Running Economie alongside Pont Aven slightly confuses the identity of Cork - Roscoff don't you think?  (Although, I suppose the same thing already happens on Portsmouth - Santander).

As this is shaping up to be a year-round service that will also mean a more consistant offer between France and Ireland instead of the current 7/8-month service. It will be interesting to see if the new ship diverts to St Malo in those weeks/months when Roscoff shuts down. Ed

• Like 1

The 'Connemara' is currently sailing as the 'Asterion' for 'AVE Line' between Venice, Patras and Igoumentisa. Though most will know her as the 'Norman Asturias'.

• Like 1

Very interesting news, I wonder to what extent this vessel will be re-fitted before entering service? I imagine she will be very similar to the Etretat inside. Well done to Brittany Ferries for choosing another original and attractive name.

4 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Very interesting news, I wonder to what extent this vessel will be re-fitted before entering service? I imagine she will be very similar to the Etretat inside. Well done to Brittany Ferries for choosing another original and attractive name.

What's not clear at this stage is what kind of chartering agreement has been reached with Stena - and whether we're likely to see a significant refit or just a minimal re-badging exercise. It could be that Stena even supply a (non-French) crew either full or partial.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Perhaps they'll change the wake-up tune to "Les Lacs de Connemara" by Michel Sardou at the same time. I'd be out of the cabin like a shot if they did. :DEd. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps they'll change the wake-up tune to "Les Lacs de Connemara" by Michel Sardou at the same time. I'd be out of the cabin like a shot if they did. :DEd. 

That track was the first thing that sprung to mind when I heard the name...

• Like 1

I'll bet that there'll be more than a few Irish customers wanting to re-think their existing bookings on PA's weekly Cork - Roscoff service - those that travel further south than Brittany that is.

The existing service has the disadvantage of (slightly) curtailing a fortnight's holiday with it's timings.

What's more, the Economie pricing structure will be interesting - Irish members have often complained about the high cost of Cork - Roscoff crossings. 

The ability for BF to offer an additional Cork/Roscoff service is also interesting. We know BF have been exploring the options to extend this route for some time, so this will help them address Irish Ferries own growth in France. Remember that the arrival of the W D Yates for Irish Ferries this year will see an increase in the number of Oscar Wilde sailings to Roscoff, and the withdrawal (in summer initially) of their own economy services to France. 

• Like 1

This new services to Spain & a second sailing to France is great news & should be well supported . 

For years Irish Customers have been telling BF that the one rotation a week was too restrictive and mean if you wanted a short break in France longer than 5 days you had to use another carrier on one leg of the journey.   Now hopefully depending on timings & pricing BF should get all the booking.

There are also customers who were using Cork Roscoff but had to travel 9 -10 hours down to the south of France or Spain & for sure  would prefer to sail down  The cost of Road tolls ,Fuel & possibly an overnight stop over should make the direct sailing an attractive option.

How the economy option will go down I am not sure as the only carrier offering it on the Irish route is Stena with the Stena Horizon  but I suppose its success will depend on pricing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Shame it's not the Baja ship, everyone could have woke up to La Cucaracha... hopefully not literally!

2 hours ago, Andy said:

The ability for BF to offer an additional Cork/Roscoff service is also interesting. We know BF have been exploring the options to extend this route for some time, so this will help them address Irish Ferries own growth in France. Remember that the arrival of the W D Yates for Irish Ferries this year will see an increase in the number of Oscar Wilde sailings to Roscoff, and the withdrawal (in summer initially) of their own economy services to France. 

It's also interesting to see Stena happy to charter a vessel to BF which may have an impact on their route to Cherbourg too. The relationship between the two carriers would appear to be going from strength to strength.

I doubt it would have much impact Jonno. They are connecting a completely different part of Ireland with a completely different part of France.

3 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

If the ship is not French flagged and/or not entirely French crewed, that would be a pretty big change would it not?

Yes, that would be quite a landmark change for BF.  And the thin end of a wedge that could quite seriously erode their brand.  I’d be very surprised if this was the case.  Apart, perhaps, from temporarily at the start.  But in my view it would be a big mistake for BF to go down that route as their long-term concept for the route.