Gareth

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018

Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

Message added by Admin

5 hours ago, Macc2010 said:

Are the Stena 2 ships at Liverpool sisters to these ships?

if so they have never had any issues.

There’s loads  of them about , I did read a seasoned traveler on here say he wouldn’t travel on them due to what they are made of , but like any other professional maritime company BF keep their fleet well maintained so risk is kept to a minimum, BF did have a lot of issues with Etretat at first mostly stabilisers if I recall correctly but they seem to have been dealt with and until very recently she has been reliable I’m sure her sister in the fleet will be too.

• Like 1

What are people’s perceptions of how well Connemara is keeping to schedule on this route?  Maybe a bit early to tell - there have been a few late departures but they may be all due to teething, bunkering, inspections etc.  And she clearly has the Friday night 2-night departure to get back on schedule.  But is she managing the Cork-Santander passage reliably within the 28 hour published crossing time or is that proving to be a little ambitious?  Difficult to keep regular tabs on her without her being on the BF fleet tracker so I would be interested in any perceptions anyone may have.

4 hours ago, Gareth said:

What are people’s perceptions of how well Connemara is keeping to schedule on this route?  Maybe a bit early to tell - there have been a few late departures but they may be all due to teething, bunkering, inspections etc.  And she clearly has the Friday night 2-night departure to get back on schedule.  But is she managing the Cork-Santander passage reliably within the 28 hour published crossing time or is that proving to be a little ambitious?  Difficult to keep regular tabs on her without her being on the BF fleet tracker so I would be interested in any perceptions anyone may have.

I think at a steady 22kts she should manage it in just under 26 hours. if we add the obvious speed reductions entering and departing both ports 28 hours should be realistic for her.

That's not taking into account the cantankerous behaviour of the Bay of course which can throw a spanner into the best of timetables but she can always turn north west a little earlier and not pass so close to Brittany which would allow for a straighter run.

As you say Gareth, teething issues will arise as they do on any new route but personally I think she'll be fine once settled into a routine. I'm quietly confident of this route, I can see it expanding within 5 or 6 years. BF will have no issue in terms of competition from Stena as they'll be earning millions in charter fees without the added headache of maintaining the vessels.

On 20/05/2018 at 23:31, richwarwicker said:

The impairments according to Mor Glaz:

- Missing rescue plans (required for ferries)

- charging line

- dropping exercises: missing  

- maintenance of non-compliant fire protection systems

fixed installations to extinguish fires (fire hoses, hinges):

- door going to the cabins does not close well (must be fireproof)

- fire detection and alarms: incorrect indication

- fire dampers congested by pallets

- availability of fire fighting equipment: non-compliant

- lifeboats: not well maintained. crew unfamiliar with the boats (launch, engine start and recovery)

crew involved in recovery of lifeboats not familiar with the working language of the board

- landing zone for the helicopter not well marked on the ground.

- lifejackets: insufficient maintenance:

baby lifejackets not accessible to port

- lifeboat: "painter's sleeve on damaged splice", unsigned rope ends

- lifeboats:

- galley: not hygienic enough

- engine room: dirty

- Insufficient workspace lighting

- operation of machinery: lack of familiarity

- language of work on board not established

- nautical charts: missing (Irish coast)

- VDR: black box: not compliant:

- scuppers inlet: not compliant

It would appear that my previous post has mysteriously disappeared, so I'll repost, as my opinion remains the same ...

It is very disappointing to see such a list of faults, particularly relating to the safety of Brittany Ferries passengers and the crew. Even more disappointing, given that TWO of Connemara's sister ships have succumbed to fire in the last 4 years ...

Sorrento

Image result for sorrento ferry fire

and Norman Atlantic

Image result for norman atlantic ferry fire

• Like 1

I don’t believe the Vissenti ships are inherently dangerous nor do I believe that BF would put a ship to sea with passengers on if they weren’t 100% sure it was safe to do so, but yes the list of faults is very disappointing to read even if they are minor faults surely it would be better to fix them before it joined the fleet.

• Like 1