News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018

Message added by Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

The local 'El Diario Montañes' reports that the delay in starting the service is because the ship will be late arriving at the Astander shipyard.  The opening of he new route coincides with an exhibition in Santander to mark the 40th anniversary of Brittany Ferries' service to Spain.

http://www.eldiariomontanes.es/cantabria/estreno-ruta-cork-20180418205419-nt.html

• Like 1
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "Connemara" arriving Cork this morning from Santader

I've added 30+ pics to my Brittany Ferries album here https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8PJNE2 Here's a few      

Picture from Shipspotting -

Posted Images

On 4/18/2018 at 10:47, Gareth said:

Thanks Tony, that makes sense.  Starting with freight only is a good way of conducting berthing trials and still generating revenue.  Guess it gives them longer to get the ship ready for passengers too, as they can carry on working during the freight-carrying passages.

The maiden voyage of the Connemara on the 3rd May, between Santander and Cork, will be a full commercial sailing, carrying both passengers and freight.

• Like 1

Yeah, we know that now but originally it was April 30th. It was only changed recently due to the 40th Anniversary Celebrations of Brittany Ferries in Spain.

'Connemara' is now arriving in Gibraltar. When she arrives in Santander, she is not going to Astander Shipyard, she will be docked alongside one of the commercial berths for her renovations and I presume her new livery will be done in Spain too.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
2 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Yeah, we know that now but originally it was April 30th. It was only changed recently due to the 40th Anniversary Celebrations of Brittany Ferries in Spain.

The first commercial sailing was actually scheduled to be on 29th April, between Santander and Cork. But, delay aside, her first sailing will certainly mark an interesting chapter in the history of Brittany Ferries with this 'Brexit-bypass' route.

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Andy said:

The first commercial sailing was actually scheduled to be on 29th April, between Santander and Cork. But, delay aside, her first sailing will certainly mark an interesting chapter in the history of Brittany Ferries with this 'Brexit-bypass' route.

Apologies, that date (30th) was meant to be a question.

12 hours ago, Andy said:

I still can't help thinking how much more exciting it would be with a better vessel. A few years down the line it would be so pleasant to see a real BF experience on this route! :/

• Like 2
4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

I still can't help thinking how much more exciting it would be with a better vessel. A few years down the line it would be so pleasant to see a real BF experience on this route! :/

I fully understand where you're coming from. Personally and from a leisure traveler perspective, I feel the ship it too small and lacks facilities for such a long voyage.

It would be nice if the Normandie was revamped and put on this route despite her age.

But as long as BF's key market for this route is to be freight...we can only dream. 

I'm yet to sail on one of these vessels, so I can't comment on what they are like for the passenger. But it does seem like the ideal 'starter' vessel for a new venture like this.

If one of these vessels were to be deployed on a UK-Scandinavia route I suspect some of us would positively jump for joy...!

4 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Give it time hf....if it takes off I’m sure that will happen.  And if it doesn’t then at least BF won’t be bankrupted! 😉

I don't imagine that Passengers are the target market for this service, it is more likely to be freight and a lot of that will be trailer only freight and that is not that demanding on facilities.

It will not be very pleasant for anyone who wants more than a bar, a cafe and a cinema.

You could take the view that it may not, therefore, be a particularly good test of viability for the passenger service, as some who would otherwise have used it may not due to the choice of ship.  But what it does do is test comprehensively the viability of the route from a freight point of view.  Sensible, as without viable freight custom, no new route is going to succeed.  May well be that the true test of viability of passenger demand may be down the line, once the first test (freight) had been passed.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Gareth said:

You could take the view that it may not, therefore, be a particularly good test of viability for the passenger service, as some who would otherwise have used it may not due to the choice of ship.  But what it does do is test comprehensively the viability of the route from a freight point of view.  Sensible, as without viable freight custom, no new route is going to succeed.  May well be that the true test of viability of passenger demand may be down the line, once the first test (freight) had been passed.

and they already know the numbers of irish registered lorries using their UK - Spain routes, so armed with that knowledge, a freight centric service should be low risk.

• Like 1

It appears the the 1st sailing for 'Connemara' is no longer going ahead on May 3rd, it's disappeared from the timetable. 1st sailing now May 6th from Santander to Cork. Although, it's worth mentioning that there is still a Freight Only sailing on April 30th on the Freight timetable.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
17 hours ago, Stena Invicta said:

Perhaps they have work to do in the passenger spaces. 

I've heard from 'informed sources' that she was handed over in a bit of a state and some extra time is needed to get her to BF standard.

• Gareth unpinned this topic