Jump to content
News threads can only be replied to, not created.

Cork to Santander Route to Launch in 2018


Message added by Admin

NEWS: The Official Press Release regarding the new Ireland - Spain route can be read here. 16/01/18

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Danish Ferry Person said:

Never use the word 'HATE' but I 'HATE' the French unions for this reason... Ultimatly they will kill a business through their millitant action - Just look at how they are killing the AF side of AF/KLM... 

Sorry Gareth, just realised this post is from February! Just shows how much I keep up ;)

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 584
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The "Connemara" arriving Cork this morning from Santader

I've added 30+ pics to my Brittany Ferries album here https://flic.kr/s/aHsk8PJNE2 Here's a few      

Picture from Shipspotting -

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Danish Ferry Person said:

Never use the word 'HATE' but I 'HATE' the French unions for this reason... Ultimatly they will kill a business through their millitant action - Just look at how they are killing the AF side of AF/KLM... 

Let’s not turn this into another Union pros and cons post please obviously there are reasons why people embrace unions and why some people have a hatred of them and that will never change.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder how the embarkation at Brest went.  In many ways Brest is the more logical port for the Cork service.  I guess it will never become the primary port over Roscoff but is a useful backup.  It must have handled embarkation before, as CF has used it on occasion for crew change and to pick up French passengers for Bilbao.  The numbers would have been small but Brest is clearly not a complete stranger to handling embarkation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Meanwhile....I wonder if any of our Irish members have any info on how well loaded Connemara was leaving for Santander today?

No firm figures but anecdotal evidence suggest that the fact that Leinster are playing in the 2018 European Rugby Champions Cup Final in Bilbao at the weekend has led to an increase in the amount of passengers carried.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

I wonder how the embarkation at Brest went.  In many ways Brest is the more logical port for the Cork service.  I guess it will never become the primary port over Roscoff but is a useful backup.  It must have handled embarkation before, as CF has used it on occasion for crew change and to pick up French passengers for Bilbao.  The numbers would have been small but Brest is clearly not a complete stranger to handling embarkation.

May BF be contemplating a Cork-Brest-Santander roster? LD's Rosslare-Gijon via Montoir was received favourably when announced, it was just the ten hour layover which frustrated users.

I'm sure some investment by BF around the area would be welcome and it would give BF the opportunity to keep the pressure off the linkspan at Roscoff if the Armorique, Pont Aven etc are delayed. As you say Gareth Brest could become a very useful back up especially as they use the Damen yard next door.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Connemara seems to have been stationary off Cork all night but at a 22knts. Predicted route should be to lands end then south but no apparent movement?

It’s just that she has been out of range of Marine Traffic’s AIS detectors.  So what you are seeing is the last received position.  She’ll come back into range when she gets nearer Santander and then the map will update.

The beauty of BF’s own fleet tracker is that they don’t have this problem because they receive position reports from the ship directly.  But Connemara is not on the BF tracker yet (hint hint BF!) 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Gareth said:

It’s just that she has been out of range of Marine Traffic’s AIS detectors.  So what you are seeing is the last received position.  She’ll come back into range when she gets nearer Santander and then the map will update.

The beauty of BF’s own fleet tracker is that they don’t have this problem because they receive position reports from the ship directly.  But Connemara is not on the BF tracker yet (hint hint BF!) 😉

Her AIS must not be working at the moment as there are plenty of pictures of her arriving in Santander. And normally Cap, Pont, BDS and MN Pelican are in range midway through the bay. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, the ship seems to have made a good first impression, and if true that the inaugural voyage was a sell-out then that must have exceeded BF’s wildest expectations.  All bodes well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, richwarwicker said:

This caught my eye in that news article.

“The ferry is absolutely gorgeous. It’s spotless. And the port staff were very professional and helpful, loading a couple of million euro worth of cars.”

She must be better than Etretat.

Makes you wonder what the last ferry they were on was.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Port of Cork is now listing her for departure at 02:30 tomorrow morning 15May with destination as Roscoff.    Currently the  tanker "Vemahonesty" is alongside "Connemara" bunkering her.   Expected completion of bunkers is around 1AM.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interestingly, her AIS track all the way outside the Lands End TSS, is the same one that she used last week.  Can’t remember Pont Aven ever doing this on passage between Cork and Roscoff.  Wonder if BF is keeping its options open for a last-minute decision on the destination.  Would be good if Connemara can get her first Roscoff call out of the way without incident, but it must be a nervous few hours in BFHQ. 🤞

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Gareth unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...