Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Poole Bridge

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15857807.When_WILL_Poole_Bridge_open__Silence_from_council_who_refuse_to_set_a_date_for_reopening/

OK, with the collapse of Carillion and the work on Poole Bridge being carried out by Interserve, I was chatting to someone this morning who asked if the bridge closure had affected the ferries.  I said that as far as I know, not the ferry companies, but that alongside other roadworks nearby are making life a bit difficult for passengers travelling to get on said ferries.  Not sure if Poole Bridge will be open now, supposedly the latest is mid or the end of January, but with the situation as it is at the moment, it is a bit worrying what will happen.  Poole Bridge services a large proportion of BF and Condor traffic (as well as other places around Hamworthy). Just wonder what BF’s take on it all is.  Very frustrating for those who work in the Poole terminal.

Getting beyond belief now, and what happens if Interserve go the same way as Carillion.

Unlikely I would think though the last set of accounts doesn't make stunning reading once you get to the balance sheet on page 110, before that it's the usual PR rubbish and some justification for the directors remuneration. Not a basket case though...yet

Edited by Millsy

52 minutes ago, Khaines said:

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15857807.When_WILL_Poole_Bridge_open__Silence_from_council_who_refuse_to_set_a_date_for_reopening/

OK, with the collapse of Carillion and the work on Poole Bridge being carried out by Interserve, I was chatting to someone this morning who asked if the bridge closure had affected the ferries.  I said that as far as I know, not the ferry companies, but that alongside other roadworks nearby are making life a bit difficult for passengers travelling to get on said ferries.  Not sure if Poole Bridge will be open now, supposedly the latest is mid or the end of January, but with the situation as it is at the moment, it is a bit worrying what will happen.  Poole Bridge services a large proportion of BF and Condor traffic (as well as other places around Hamworthy). Just wonder what BF’s take on it all is.  Very frustrating for those who work in the Poole terminal.

Getting beyond belief now, and what happens if Interserve go the same way as Carillion.

I don't think it is fair to amalgate Interserve's name with the current's situation at Carillion. Furthermore, it is also unfair to mention a contractor in particular on this project when the reasons behind the project delays can be numerous (partly listed in the article) and sometimes with shared responsibilities.

Edited by crechbleiz

12 minutes ago, crechbleiz said:

I don't think it is fair to amalgate Interserve's name with the current's situation at Carillion. Furthermore, it is also unfair to mention a contractor in particular on this project when the reasons behind the project delays can be numerous (partly listed in the article) and sometimes with shared responsibilities.

“It also emerged that the company carrying out the Poole Bridge work, Interserve, is now being closely monitored by a team of government officials following the collapse of Carillion”

The article is the one amalgamating the situation, not me.  I just stated that I am concerned about the situation, as many people probably are.  Me mentioning it in my post is no different than what is in the Echo article.  The company carrying out the work is Interserve and the situation is being monitored as stated in the article.  Not hearsay or assumption on my part, this is what is happening and people are genuinely concerned considering the amount of problems and delays with the bridge work.   This was BEFORE Carillion collapsed.  The collapse has just deepened people’s concerns that is all.

11 minutes ago, Khaines said:

“It also emerged that the company carrying out the Poole Bridge work, Interserve, is now being closely monitored by a team of government officials following the collapse of Carillion”

The article is the one amalgamating the situation, not me.  I just stated that I am concerned about the situation, as many people probably are.  Me mentioning it in my post is no different than what is in the Echo article.  The company carrying out the work is Interserve and the situation is being monitored as stated in the article.  Not hearsay or assumption on my part, this is what is happening and people are genuinely concerned considering the amount of problems and delays with the bridge work.   This was BEFORE Carillion collapsed.  The collapse has just deepened people’s concerns that is all.

Was only giving my opinion on the article. First of all, Interserve is being monitored like many other companies supplying services for government contracts. Secondly, mentioning two different matters in the same article i.e. the project delays and the collapse of carillion is not good journalism in my opinion.

• Like 1

I recently retired from the construction industry - the Carillion situation is no surprise - in Nottingham they lost a fortune on our phase1 tram construction and got 'sacked' a few months back by our local NHS trusts for consistently failing in respect of services.  A similar thing happened to Interserve, who had a contract with Leicester NHS trust.  I personally wouldn't have confidence in any of the very large service providers - they seem to make their money by being excessively 'contractual', the engineering/construction is often sub contracted at very poor rates.

Whatever has happened to get to this situation, it would appear that the monitoring by the civil service and/or contract-awarding bodies seems not to have been close enough. They should have seen this coming way before the news broke in the press and either insisted the company be split up or sell of some of its contracts to raise cash.

Meanwhile here in France the government is now trying to negotiate with VINCI, who many will know as they run numerous motorway routes, to pay them compensation after yesterday announcing that a project to build a new airport serving the north-west was to be abandoned after over 50 years of debate. VINCI had already won the contract to build and run the airport (between Nantes and Redon) and had contracted out various parts of the project. They have instead decided to extend the existing airport in Nantes and maybe that in Rennes too. In doing so, Mr Macron has gone against the wish expressed in a local referendum for the new development, and in the process seems to have alienated most of the (relatively) wealthy (and predominantly) Republican voters in the area. However, his environment minister (and former TV star - think Bear Gryls crossed with David Attenborough - with a hairstyle that would have looked great in Miami Vice) and a large number of tree-huggers, who have been camping out on the proposed site, are very pleased. 

Ed

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Khaines said:

@Khaines. Well at least we now have an alternative bridge to use. To the majority of people it's not a great problem. It's the other roadworks causing the delays not the old bridge. With regard to Carillion and Interserve they are largely facilitators on projects such as Poole bridge. Usually the actual work, which is almost complete, is sub contracted out. Those companies will still be able to complete the work, with or without Interserve.

For those of us who have to walk, not just foot passengers on the ferries, but normal pedestrians are affected by this.  I have just not booked many trips over the past year because of the cost of taxis and the plain fuss of it all.  Drivers will have less difficulty with driving the Twin Sails, but as for pedestrians, it is most inconvenient.  As said, I just don’t travel as I like to walk to the port and no way am I walking the Sails when it is dark, which it would be as it would be a forty minute walk probably and I already have to leave Bournemouth by bus at 06.45 when I go on a crossing, and having to do a forty minute walk back as well after disembarking after 10 at night.  It is either that or fiften quid for two taxis.  This is what a lot of non drivers are having to face.  Drivers get queues.

14 minutes ago, Khaines said:

For those of us who have to walk, not just foot passengers on the ferries, but normal pedestrians are affected by this.  I have just not booked many trips over the past year because of the cost of taxis and the plain fuss of it all.  Drivers will have less difficulty with driving the Twin Sails, but as for pedestrians, it is most inconvenient.  As said, I just don’t travel as I like to walk to the port and no way am I walking the Sails when it is dark, which it would be as it would be a forty minute walk probably and I already have to leave Bournemouth by bus at 06.45 when I go on a crossing, and having to do a forty minute walk back as well after disembarking after 10 at night.  It is either that or fiften quid for two taxis.  This is what a lot of non drivers are having to face.  Drivers get queues.

Yes, I can see you have a problem, but I'm not sure it's shared by large numbers of others. If it was I would have thought that the re-routed 152 would have a more intensive time table.

http://www.buscms.com/morebus/uploadedfiles/pdfs/Current_Timetables_Sept_2017/more_preview_web_TT_0917_route152.pdf

• Like 1

Correction to mylast post as left it too late to edit, it is arounf 05.45 I catch a bus from home.  I would say the amount of people inconvenienced by this probably would be served by a more intensive timetable.  I think there should have been an hourly shuttle bus that picks up near the Quay and drops people off near the other side instead of a re-routed bus.  Especially, after the first two reschedules for the work to be finished.  Poole Council’s silence over all this is deafening.  You have port employees, Sunseeker employees, other workforces, residents all wanting proper explanations.  After the debacle over closing the toilets as well.....

Edited by Khaines

16 hours ago, nottingham said:

I recently retired from the construction industry - the Carillion situation is no surprise - in Nottingham they lost a fortune on our phase1 tram construction and got 'sacked' a few months back by our local NHS trusts for consistently failing in respect of services.  A similar thing happened to Interserve, who had a contract with Leicester NHS trust.  I personally wouldn't have confidence in any of the very large service providers - they seem to make their money by being excessively 'contractual', the engineering/construction is often sub contracted at very poor rates.

Agreed but even with that sub-contracting situation the margins they run on are incredibly slim, and would make, for example, the owner of a greetings card shop laugh with incomprehension and say "well they haven't got a business have they?"  I was involved in a large building project twenty odd years ago carried out by a then well-known local contractor and was absolutely astonished just how fragile it all was, and how little in the way of real tangible fixed assets they had. (They were seen off by a home office prison job shortly afterwards.) In the case of the Interserve accounts take out the intangibles especially goodwill and see how the picture changes.

Edited by Millsy

3 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Oh! Do tell. I'm dying to go, sorry, know! ;)Ed

The council have closed almost all of the public toilets in the town. The council have paid some businesses to allow public access to their toilets but if you want one after 17.30 or are at a popular area like Baiter then it's up to a mile walk to find one. That is of course if you know where to look. After 22.00 at night, you are basically on you're own.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

They only opened the ones by the Sandbanks Ferry (Poole side) aftee public outcry.  And then they still might close them.  Nowhere on the Quay except locked ones only for use by people who own boats in the marina I presume, apart from those tucked away round the corner only open at weekends.  They closed the Quay ones up by the bridge, which is a pain as I used to avail myself of those, but they were often disgusting because if it wasn’t vandals pouring cement down them, it was people uptipping bins and the contents were often all over the place.  They closed the bus station ones, the ones up in the High Street near the multistorey car park.   

Wetherspoons is the best bet on the Quay, the train station, Sainsburys or the Dolphin Centre.  The coffee chains as well.  Otherwise you probably have to be a paying customer to use independant cafe ones.  Subway at the bus station changes the code on a keypad daily and the code is printed on receipts.  The toilet situation in Poole is really bad.  I know where to look being a local but not a good thing for tourists and people who do do not know the town.

42 minutes ago, G4rth said:

The council have closed almost all of the public toilets in the town. The council have paid some businesses to allow public access to their toilets but if you want one after 17.30 or are at a popular area like Baiter then it's up to a mile walk to find one. That is of course if you know where to look. After 22.00 at night, you are basically on you're own.

"Basically on your own"... I should  hope so too. 

• Haha 2

On AIS, Poole is POO - funny enough quite appropriate at Baiter...😉. In Sandbanks people were availing themselves of people’s gardens and bushes, and being Sandbanks we cannot have the hoi polloi doing their business in the posh shrubbery there - probably why the loos there got a reprieve, the cafe owners kicked up a right stink - pun intended - because people were using the alleyway next door.

2 minutes ago, Khaines said:

On AIS, Poole is POO

The 3 letter code for the railway station is the very same. ..it happens. 

• Haha 2

I know, Jim,  Poole is just very unfortunate....😄. Wonder what other stations and ports have unfortunate 3 letters...

Probably best not to go there...😄

Took a stroll round this morning to have a walk over the bridge now it is open.  The pigeons seemed to be enjoying the ride as it was lifting on my way back over, they didn’t budge as the bridge went up.  Walked round the port to get back in practice again, nice to be able to walk it again.

68B31EBD-23DA-4AB2-BE8A-7DACCC81E594.jpeg

D059A760-6270-4520-A78F-366DF753A1EC.jpeg

0D4E4F17-5DDC-4C03-8076-D3C4DB3CF40C.jpeg

EF528B8A-5CCC-4345-81B0-0A5E7F13A278.jpeg