Sign in to follow this  
Cabin-boy

More competition for BF - but not for a while

26 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just read this on the BBC. It made me wonder whether it's the option they should have gone for back in the late 80s, given how the Swedes and Danes managed it only a decade or so later. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42743909

Ed

Is that the same Boris that is prepared to see more difficult travel and less European trade? On the face of it a bridge might have some attraction but how often would high winds cause closure. You don't get so many closure problems with a tunnel. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I just read this on the BBC. It made me wonder whether it's the option they should have gone for back in the late 80s, given how the Swedes and Danes managed it only a decade or so later. 

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-42743909

Ed

The Oresund bridge though is not to the same scale (7.8km) - nor does it go all the way across, as it dives down into a 4km long tunnel en-route.

18 minutes ago, Jim said:

The Oresund bridge though is not to the same scale (7.8km) - nor does it go all the way across, as it dives down into a 4km long tunnel en-route.

Yes,  I've taken it. And that's what the expert quoted in the article seemed to be suggesting for the middle section. Ed. 

18 minutes ago, TerryDorset said:

Given Boris' record on bridges, I don't think this is overly serious.

My cynical mind asks what is he trying to distract us from?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim said:

I thought the Oresund Bridge was a bridge all the way across for both road and rail.  It's the Great Belt Bridge which is a "brunnel" -- but for the railway only.  The road combines a low level trestle bridge with a major suspension bridge. 

No, the Oresund crossing starts on the Danish side near Copenhagen airport and enters a tunnel which takes it under a nature reserve to an artificially created island off-shore. Then the combined road and rail tunnel rises to the surface and vehicles climb (with the roadway above the railway) over a tall bridge before descending to the Swedish coast at which point the road and rail split with the trains going directly to the centre of Malmo. Centre to centre by train takes, from memory, no more than half an hour. The road tolls are however very expensive, and comparable with the now defunct high-speed ferry service which used to operate on the crossing. Ed

• Like 1

The Great Belt bridge is two differing designs, one is about 5kms the other 1.500kms. The adjacent rail line uses both a tunnel and a bridge. Ed is right, the toll fee is eye watering, we paid over €50 for the Storebaelt and €90 for the Oresund... that's one way in a motorhome and I believe the prices have gone up since.