Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cvabishop

Calais & Boulogne shut again Jan 25 2018

Recommended Posts

How strange, blockading a port that has no ferries!   Maybe the idea was to deter diversions from Calais to Boulogne.

Interesting (and says it all) that, whilst DFDS are able to divert their sailings to Dunkerque, P&O's only option these days (entirely self-inflicted) is to "advise people to use the Tunnel".

Well, maybe, P&O, those may become former customers that decide they quite like the Tunnel option in future, having followed your advice to use it.  What a short-sighted decision it was, to close down your Zeebrugge route (that always used to be the available diversion in these circumstances, which are far from uncommon).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Gareth said:

How strange, blockading a port that has no ferries!   Maybe the idea was to deter diversions from Calais.

No, the explanation is contained in the tenth paragraph of the BBC report.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And what possible justification do they have for interrupting the ferries when their argument is with the Dutch authorities? Unless they can prove that the fish caught in this way are being battered and served up onboard those ferries then they should concentrate their efforts by blockading those ports offloading the catches in the Netherlands. P&O and DFDS should sue the French fishing unions for loss of revenue and the subsequent damage to their reputation. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

And what possible justification do they have for interrupting the ferries when their argument is with the Dutch authorities? Unless they can prove that the fish caught in this way are being battered and served up onboard those ferries then they should concentrate their efforts by blockading those ports offloading the catches in the Netherlands. P&O and DFDS should sue the French fishing unions for loss of revenue and the subsequent damage to their reputation. Ed. 

Perhaps they are being transported via ferry from Calais for sale in the UK market. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, G4rth said:

Perhaps they are being transported via ferry from Calais for sale in the UK market. 

 

Very possibly but as the method is still legal, until the EU ban comes into effect, there is no justification for the protest. If the French fisherman had been allowed to use the technique too, and were now told they had to give it up, rest assured there would be an even bigger protest from them. As usual they have waited until the decision has been taken and then realised that perhaps they forgot to put in a claim for compensation at the right moment. Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trawling destroys the seabed and this no doubt causes sonar issues with Dolphins and Whales. Must be other ways to fish more environmentally less destructive. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think there is a hidden issue - if the Dutch (or anyone) lands a large catch, the market price will drop - hence the French claiming financial loss due to their higher costs and smaller catches.  Nothing to do with the environment etc.  They will ultimately be wanting protected status within France, like the tabacs have achieved for years.

Edited by nottingham

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...