Sign in to follow this  
Manannan

Condor Ferries Timetables

I have a genuine question about Condor Ferries Schedules. 

I would like to ask why the Commodore Clipper & Commodore Goodwill seem to be able to operate a more rigid schedule than Condor Liberation? For example Commodore Clipper departs Portsmouth daily at 0900 but Condor Liberation operates to a very unpredictable schedule, due to tidal constraints. But why? Why does the vessel with the most shallow draft have to accommodate tides more? 

Secondly, I have an idea as to how Condor could increase capacity without unsocial sailing times, which killed the previous double rotations. Could Condor Liberation Operate Poole>Jersey>Poole>Guernsey>Poole? Let Commodore Clipper and Condor Rapide deal with interisland traffic, plus with the new interisland service due to start would make both Islands accessible by both rotations. 

On 29/01/2018 at 17:10, GeoffHamer said:

The COMMODORE CLIPPER sails from Portsmouth at fixed times. but her schedule in Guernsey and Jersey varies with the tides.

Yes but there doesn't seem to be as many tidal variations to her schedule as Condor Liberation services. Take February 2018 for example, only four Commodore Clipper 0900 Sailings from Portsmouth to the Channel Islands do not go to Guernsey first, arriving between 1600 and 1610. The four that don't go to Jersey first, arriving at 2105. That is a fairly predictable schedule, and much easier for the customer to book. 

Tidal variations are generally not necessary at St Peter Port.  It is St Helier where the main issues are faced, and I am sure that Clippers arrival and departure times at St Helier must be subject to tidal variation.  All ferries visiting St Helier have always been subject to tidal variation.

The southern approach to St Peter Port, as well as the Big Russell channel south of Herm, are navigable at all states of tide so disruption to schedules at St Peter Port ought to be minimal for all vessels.  If Liberation is subject to frequent disruption at St Peter Port then this is highly unlikely to be for tidal reasons.  (My understanding of her problems at St Peter Port is that they are wind-related, not tidal).  If Condor iis usng “tides” as an excuse then they are telling porkies.

Just went to look at timetables as thinking about booking Libby for a spin, and the webpage still has that message to choose a journey to view the timetables.  I thought they were going to update the website to include the timetables without going through a journey check.  I would like to see the days she is operating to check against my diary - wish they would have a timetable on the website like BF have, the present method is cumbersome, you should be able to click on “view the timetable” and it comes up on screen.

• Like 1

There is a way to do it. On a smartphone (but a tablet should work too) click on the timetable link, select the route you want and then the date range. In the box below select the type of timetable you want. You can then view it on the screen or download a Pdf version. You may need to be patient while it loads. Let me know if it works. Ed

Every company you have ever had an email from is currently asking permission to keep on sending stuff because of the new rules next week. No prizes for guessing which ferry company’s link does not work. (Hint - look at the thread title). One of the very few people I do want offers from.

1 hour ago, SpecialK said:

Every company you have ever had an email from is currently asking permission to keep on sending stuff because of the new rules next week. No prizes for guessing which ferry company’s link does not work. (Hint - look at the thread title). One of the very few people I do want offers from.

Just had an email today with a new link and apologies for the one that didn’t.  So you should get another one, the second one I was sent this afternoon worked ok.

On Cordor Rapide heading to Guernsey for the weekend to enjoy some sun and fresh air. Her departure has been pushed back by an hour and arrival looks like being even later due to lower than forecast tides. The website says:

'delayed by just over an hour due to lower than forecast tides which prevented her from coming alongside at the scheduled time. This was due to the unusually high atmospheric pressure experienced over the past couple of days which has an effect of pressing down on the water level.'

I suspect this is perhaps quite a common problem but it's the first time it's happened on one of my trips. 

Plus the security at St Malo to get on the ship was intense. Police check with boot open. Private security-company search of the entire car and wanding of Cabin-girl and I and then a cursory bag inspection on entering the passenger cabin. If they had confiscated my cheese and pickle sandwich there would have been hell to pay. Ed. 

Since my last trip in October, Rapide has been in for a refit. The changes include the removal of the upper-level mini-shop next to the Ocean Bar. It has been replaced with stools and counters to give a wine-bar effect. The main shop on the lower level has also been refreshed and you now enter via the right hand side and exit in the middle which is to opposite of how it was before. The internal layout therefore feels slightly more spacious (or less cramped). Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

Plus the security at St Malo to get on the ship was intense. Police check with boot open. Private security-company search of the entire car and wanding of Cabin-girl and I and then a cursory bag inspection on entering the passenger cabin. If they had confiscated my cheese and pickle sandwich there would have been hell to pay. Ed. 

Sounds like they were expecting you........Fallen out with the neighbours????????????😂🤣😂

It never happens when I'm on my own. Only when my wife is with me!! 

Further changes on Rapide are that the kids' video lounge has switched from the starboard to port side and the extra space is now being used as a second shop for books, electronics, sweets and toys. Ed. 

We just had a great hour-long trip on Condor Liberation from Guernsey to Jersey (before switching to the Rapide for the second leg to St Malo) and she was a comfortable as ever. There was the occasional deep roll to the side as she switched course but she was excellent and you really get the impression of speed. I still maintain she's the finest ship on the channel right now, getting you where you want to be in the shortest possible time, but have yet to experience her in anything other than ideal conditions so accept she might be less attractive in bad weather. Ed. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

We just had a great hour-long trip on Condor Liberation from Guernsey to Jersey (before switching to the Rapide for the second leg to St Malo) and she was a comfortable as ever. There was the occasional deep roll to the side as she switched course but she was excellent and you really get the impression of speed. I still maintain she's the finest ship on the channel right now, getting you where you want to be in the shortest possible time, but have yet to experience her in anything other than ideal conditions so accept she might be less attractive in bad weather. Ed. 

I have experienced the Lib in both weather conditions, good and bad.  In fine weather she is impeccable, but in less clement conditions she will roll a bit.  My argument about her in the past when she first arrived is that she is nowhere as bad as she is painted, she got a lot of slagging off when in actual fact she is not that bad.   

Well the criticisms of her were not to do with comfort were they?  I seem to rember the issues were reliability and inability to maintain the intended timetable.

They certainly had timetable issues yesterday evening. Liberation left Jersey over half an hour late (just behind us on Rapide in fact) for her two-leg run back to Poole. I think the delay was due to the transfer of through-passengers coming off the Rapide from St Malo. That obviously made her late back into Guernsey but it seems she made up almost all the lost time with a shorter turnaround in St Peter Port and then they put the pedal down and got into Poole only 1 minute late. Condor are very good about this now and tweet all the details so you can see just how punctual (or not) they are.

https://mobile.twitter.com/CF_Travel_News

Given the tidal and atmospheric conditions this weekend I have no reason to complain. We lost an hour on Friday afternoon but there is nothing they can do if the ship simply can't get into the berth. 

Ed

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Well the criticisms of her were not to do with comfort were they?  I seem to rember the issues were reliability and inability to maintain the intended timetable.

Gareth, the criticisms of comfort were one of her main ones, the reliability came second.  Her corkscrewing and motion compared to the cats generated a lot of complaints to the point a lot of people felt she was unsafe.. Having spent a fair amount of time defending her corner since her arrival here, and elsewhere, her comfort was a major issue to a lot of people.  Her reliability  in my opinion came a close second.  If you remember the early days on her thread here her lack of comfort was something that she got criticised a lot for.  I remember well people disagreeing with me about her when I said she was perfectly ok. 

• Like 1

Indeed! I think they made a couple of changes on board during her latest refit. You can now buy fresh oven-cooked pizzas on board to order. I didn't try one as it was still only late afternoon but they looked pretty good. And they seem to have installed a serving hatch to the left of the self-service area (although it might have been there before and closed due to the lack of passengers on previous sailings) so that they can give customers their pre-paid and ordered food once it is ready without the need for people to clog up the main area. Ed