Sign in to follow this  
ccs147

Duc De Normandie at Cork 28 March 1992

Great photos ccs147 and thanks for posting them. I have very fond memories of the D de N, she was my introduction to BF on 18/06/1986 (hells bells, where’s that time gone!). She blew the competition out of the water at the time until the likes of Bretagne/Barfleur/Normandie took cross channel sailings to another level.

Chris

• Like 1

Great photos.  Two observations: 1. I never realised DDN made it to Cork,  2.  I'd forgotten how narrow DDN's stern door was!

Aside from the height of the ramp, I find there are a lot of similarities between that stern view of DDN and PA pre-scrubbers. Ed. 

Great photos. I can just about remember sailing on her later that same year, from Caen to Portsmouth. I also recall my dad racing round Poole harbour so that I could watch her arriving whilst covering the Cherbourg route, this would have been January 98 if memory serves me correct - so over 20 years ago!

I always recall a level of disappointment as a child in driving towards Ouistreham and seeing the funnel of the Duc instead of the Normandie... but that said, in later years, I think I was more excited when the Duc was plying the Roscoff route to travel on her rather than the PA when you realised the 'classic' days were numbered on the Western Channel.

Thanks for sharing the photos, @ccs147

I always rather liked the Duc - very attractive lines and pretty comfortable on board once you'd worked out the rather odd layout. And when you think BF disposed of her then chartered le funnel...

Edited by Millsy
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, Millsy said:

I always rather liked the Duc - very attractive lines and pretty comfortable on board once you'd worked out the rather odd layout. And when you think BF disposed of her then chartered le funnel...

Exactly, I think they sold the 'Duc' in 2004 and then chartered the other 'Duke' from DFDS (of the same vintage) less than two years later. As others have said, I guess this suggests that they hadn't necessarily planned to sell Val De Loire when they did, more that DFDS made an offer too good to refuse...

• Sad 1

Yes great pics thank you.  She had  a lovely promenade deck. Does anyone still have a deck plan?  I  can';t remember exactly the internal  'odd' layout. The funnel definitely looks better than the current ones.

7 hours ago, DucdeNormandie said:

Yes great pics thank you.  She had  a lovely promenade deck. Does anyone still have a deck plan?  I  can';t remember exactly the internal  'odd' layout. The funnel definitely looks better than the current ones.

As Gardian says do take a peek at hhv ferry’s excellent website; unfortunately the deck plan doesn’t quite show the full picture. So from memory (I’m going back at least 25 years) the main deck consisted of the Jardin de Monet tearoom and bar area at the stern which allowed access to the Honfleur restaurant, with the buffet menu costing £7.95 at the time. Then you had no option but to descend to the lower deck to traverse the ship with shops, cabins and duty free outlet, then back up a level to reach the self service restaurant at the bow end. The bar used to have some great live music, especially on the overnighters to France when the ship literally rocked (and rolled). Do you remember those Jim?

If she’s still running next year I’ll take myself down to Spain out of season and do a trip down memory lane. I’ve mentioned this before on the forums but for those of you who only know the “superferries”, the Duc was the catalyst that launched  BF from being a thorn in the side of the competition at the time, to the market leader they are today.

Chris

Edited by Fine Whine
Bow and stern mixed up!
  • Like 3

Great , thanks for the deckplan. I do remember  the cafe and restaurant being on one level, but couldn't recall how lower decks were configured. 

I agree at the time she was  a great advance on what went before.:)

If we are to believe what Jim says, he was still in short trousers at the time, mostly with a ‘dummy’ in his mouth.

I’m reliably informed that there are still traces of him on the ship, rampaging around !

:D

• Haha 1

On 09/02/2018 at 17:46, Gardian said:

If we are to believe what Jim says, he was still in short trousers at the time, mostly with a ‘dummy’ in his mouth.

I’m reliably informed that there are still traces of him on the ship, rampaging around !

:D

@Gardian I wasn't *that* young thanks! Cheeky! I was never really one for a dummy either, it stopped the sarcasm coming out ;)

@Fine Whine I do indeed remember the somewhat strange arrangement where you couldn't walk from one end of the deck to the other (but admittedly I was not old enough for a pint). On busier sailings you were also given the opportunity to reserve a table for dinner in the Honfleur shortly after departure for later on in the crossing.

• Haha 1