JKawalek

Vehicle Deck Heights - Tolerance

I have just installed rear suspension airbags on our campervan.

It didn't really twig at the time but when inflated the rear vehicle height is 7cm higher, bringing me in at 2.63m loaded.

I have always booked the ferry height at 2.6m,  today upon realising my mistake I tried to amend my booking however, for the extra (3cm) height the cost comes up by ~£90 return.

I therefore plan to deflate the airbags as I enter the port and then re inflate after the crossing before the drive south (not ideal but better than £90)

The question I have is:

1. What is the tolerance on the  height limit  ( there must be some...? a vehicle with a long rear overhang and starting the descent of a ramp - the rear will pivot up and become significantly be higher than on a level deck).

2.I have only ever seen decks set at 1.8m heights and the full lorry height of 4.4m. Is the 2.6m height ever used?

Josh

4 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

I believe, but could be mistaken, that 2.6m is the under-mezzanine deck height, when lowered

makes logical sense 1.8+2.6=4.4m

I cant recall seeing that configuration before on MSM or BdS come to think of it ...is it even possible on BdS?

49 minutes ago, JKawalek said:

makes logical sense 1.8+2.6=4.4m

I cant recall seeing that configuration before on MSM or BdS come to think of it ...is it even possible on BdS?

In the  Renault Master we had the vans tech spec said she was 2.5m although this didn't take into account roof lights, habitation air con, roof mounted awning or fixed TV aerial. We never had a single problem under a mezzanine regardless of which European carrier we travelled with.

Is your air suspension able to part inflate?

Edited by jonno

A couple of thoughts. Can the vehicle be driven with the suspension lowered? Assuming that the lowered height is below 2.6m.

Maybe you can drive on board and then lower it to get into the parking position.

How long does it take to raise or lower the suspension?

One further thought I have seen vehicles dimensions checked at the check-in you may need to lower the vehicle as you check in. I guess being refused a crossing because space for an oversized campervan is not available would not go down very well.

I Don't really think 3cm will make a difference. All panel van derived campers are built within a 20mm tolerance anyway.

As an example our coachbuilt is officially 6.34m long when in reality it's 6.39m, still within the 6.5m window but it highlights the tolerances and how individual these vans can be.

Personally I'd book it in at the 2.6m threshold... He's not trying to pass off a 3m high vehicle as 2.6m, 3 cm isn't even the length of my little finger.

Edited by jonno

I'd second Jonno's suggestion (with roof bars I've been right on the limit before and not come close to scraping then) but would add that whatever you do, don't book a ticket under the name you use on this forum. They are watching us you know and they are now wise to your plans. :o Ed. 

The "official" height of a vehicle should be what the "Book" says unladen with the correct tyre pressures.

Surely the question has to be how much does the height drop once you fill the boot with junk and load the wife/girlfriend, two kids, the dog and the mother In-law on board, I would have thought that this could be as much as 5cm / 2" on a large car .

be careful if your close to the limits ( but just over) i booked as over height i was 2m they put me on the mezz level and the top of my roof box bares the scars 

On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 08:09, Paul W. H said:

The "official" height of a vehicle should be what the "Book" says unladen with the correct tyre pressures.

Surely the question has to be how much does the height drop once you fill the boot with junk and load the wife/girlfriend, two kids, the dog and the mother In-law on board, I would have thought that this could be as much as 5cm / 2" on a large car .

They use the data from Car Web. Not sure if they use it for factory standard vans/trucks etc. Not on my ticket but on the page that comes up when starting to amend a booking that there is a note that I dispute the Car Web figures. Its checked at checkin everytime so I would suggest that this is the final check.
I've seen a pole type gauge being used at Plymouth checking a van with a high roof load. Bit late for a driver who won't make the allocated deck!

SFD