jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

Red Funnel are having a freight only carrier built For 2019... From Shippax.

"Red Funnel orders freight-only cross-Solent ferry at Cammell Laird"

"To take the pressure away from its three Raptor-Class ro-paxes, Red Funnel has ordered a GBP 10 million double-ended freight-only ferry that will be introduced between Southampton (Terminal 1) and East Cowes (Isle of Wight) in spring 2019.

The 74.25m by 17m freighter will have a capacity of 265 lanemetres (12 HGVs spread across four lanes) and 12 passengers (drivers). The eleven-nautical mile crossing will be covered in 55 to 60 minutes which is similar to that of the ro-pax ferries serving the line."

• Like 1

BBC South Today are quoting that by removing 12 freight units and being able to use mezz decks, it will free up 100 car spaces on a conventional sailing.

I have to say, I'm not entirely sure I'm convinced about passenger comfort on busier sailings particularly as half the upper deck has now been segregated off for premium passengers only.

Having first and second class designations on an IoW ferry seems a bit silly to me, you are only on it for an hour and surely the accommodation should be shared between all passengers to give the best experince for everyone.

What next? A waiter restaurant?

• Like 1

This new ship obviously fits in with the new terminals being built and the increase in hazardous loads coming over .overnight freight sailings are already full and have been for a while now .so by using this ship with less crew will save money and free up a raptor for overnight maintenance .noticed more petrol tankers coming over on these boats 

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Having first and second class designations on an IoW ferry seems a bit silly to me, you are only on it for an hour and surely the accommodation should be shared between all passengers to give the best experince for everyone.

What next? A waiter restaurant?

If people are prepared to pay extra, who knows!  The premium lounge thing is common now across the industry, but it does appear to be getting a bit out of hand in places.  

I wouldn’t use a premium lounge - my days of going backwards and forwards to work on the island on the C Class ferries, parking myself down with a coffee at a table indoors and sitting outside if the weather was nice was good enough for me,  I would not have been interested in premium lounges.  I don’t think I would have paid for such a short journey.

35 minute turnarounds as they have now are somewhat leisurely. Double decked loading should be able to do it in 20 minutes max. However, it is going to mess up a regular frequency as whenever she is slotted in the raptor gap will be bigger.  Imagine (in 1140) out 1200R, (in 1225) out 1245R, (in 1310) out 1330R, (in1340) out 1400F, then back to first raptor who left at 1200, got to iow 1255, left 1315 and arrives back 1410 ready for 1430R. Basically they could do a 45 minute service with 3 in a row raptors and then slot in a freight as currently they waste 15 minutes per turnaround.

the early morning  sailings are always full for freight and when it’s refit time they have to cancel ferries overnight for routine maintenance.so this should help a great deal 

Just hope for their sakes greed does not lead them to find passengers too cramped as more cars and people as less freight and feeling forced into premium lounge. Then they would loose their advantage to Wightlink re comfort.   

Lets face it Red Funnel and Wightlink are always looking over each other.   So whatever 1 company does something then give it time the other will think of a inprovement

The idea 💡 is that the freight ship waits in the lay-by berth while waiting for a raptor to pull out and then can get in and out quickly 

Don’t see the point of the lay by berth, why not wait outside or even to save fuel, steam over slower to arrive as the Raptor leaves ?, 

It would take 20 + mins for one to go out and one to get in due to speed restrictions.could unload and reload in that time .also a lot of freight comes from Southampton in the early hours so would guess they would tie up in east cowes till the rush back later in the day .

On 26/05/2018 at 14:18, eagleeye said:

It would take 20 + mins for one to go out and one to get in due to speed restrictions.could unload and reload in that time .also a lot of freight comes from Southampton in the early hours so would guess they would tie up in east cowes till the rush back later in the day .

A bit more info.

https://www.redfunnel.co.uk/en/corporate-info/media-pr/press-release-library/work-starts-on-new-layby-berth/