jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

I think this ship is a good idea as when one of the raptors is out of service this one can fill a gap as well create additional space for lorries in the early morning when demand exceeds supply .and it’s means that the mezzanine decks can be used on a car only sailing on busy Fridays and Mondays ..

There's one at each end and they are azimuthing Korts by the look of it so can drive the ship sideways. I suspect they will be locked centrally when on passage with the rudders used for steering.

Has anyone got any technical data?

Not sure that’s a rudder, doesn’t seem to be much of a gap between the bottom of the hull and the top of it, I think it’s just a skeg.

Thinking about It, why would you go to the expense of having rudders, pumps, maintenance etc when the units would steer the ship perfectly well.

The Saints have skegs fore and aft.

Yes I did wonder about that. It could indeed just be a skeg. I wonder if the props have full 360 degree rotation horizontally. If the motor is in the pod then they would perhaps not take up so much under deck headroom as a Voith but give similar steering characteristics. Probably cheaper too.

She would need something powerful enough to pull her off the lay-by berth in east cowes and dock on the main one in a fast flowing tide 

@cvabishop 

QUICK FACTS:

Length Overall: 74.25m

Beam Moulded: 17m

Gross Tonnage: 1070GT

Passengers: 12

Vehicles: 12 HGV’s

Crew: 6-7

Engines: 2 x Cummins QSK38 Tier III diesel main engines

Propellers: 2 x Rolls Royce US 155FP azimuth thrusters

Generators: 2 x Cummins 6B-CP Gen Set each developing 80kW

Service Speed: 12.5 knots @ 85% MCR

Delivery: Spring 2019

More here: https://media.redfunnel.co.uk/publishedmedia/3h839rukez69r4vnwxwg/MVRedKestrel_04.pdf

Thanks for the above Tony.

Re the prop, size isn't everything! Thrust is dependent on a combination of diameter, pitch and rotational speed, each of which can be varied against the others so a relatively small high pitch prop turning quite fast would appear to be what we have here. It is a combination also fitted to many harbour tugs. The Kort nozzle improves efficiency and creates a waterjet effect which will improve directional control. All in all it looks like a pretty good engineering solution to me. As the photos show, there is not much space between the underside of the hull and the vehicle deck and the UP thruster has a low profile motor mounted on top, see illustration:

https://www.rolls-royce.com/products-and-services/marine/product-finder/propulsors/azimuthing-thrusters/us-type-azimuthing-thruster.aspx#/

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

There is a beguiling functional symmetry about it but yotties won't know if it is coming or going...☺️

Just as long as the Captain does...

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

There is a beguiling functional symmetry about it but yotties won't know if it is coming or going...☺️

But don`t mention the fog......

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, cvabishop said:

All in all it looks like a pretty good engineering solution to me. As the photos show, there is not much space between the underside of the hull and the vehicle deck and the UP thruster has a low profile motor mounted on top, see illustration

Yes the prop space is a bit tight on all of us not under 5 ft. 

These are aquamasters not azipods, so mechanical shafts into a gearbox and clutch.