jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

It’s  for trailers that are tugged on and off so will  sail with no passengers at all some times and when I drive lorries to the mainland it is very rare to have someone with you as most firms don’t even want to pay the driver let alone a passenger .there are up to 40 trailers a night unaccompanied .so plenty of work and there is a waiting list for the 4 am ferry From soton for freight .also the freight boat need about 5 crew but a raptor about 14 so will save loads on wages if they can cut a couple of big boat sailings out will save loads on wages   And running costs .there is normally only a few cars on middle of  night sailings . 

Also means you need a vastly larger marshalling area at each end for trailers that sometimes get left for a number of days. Wightlink did not have space once the new second level of the car terminal built.

On 25/02/2019 at 12:50, cvabishop said:

Must really slow up turnarounds on the regular vessels though.

A 'layover berth' is currently under construction in Cowes Harbour, by the union jack hangar. I don't know the precise operational details, but it seems the plan is for the Kestrel to tailgate a car ferry into the harbour, wait alongside, and nip into the link span the moment the car ferry departs. Plenty of time to then unload/load before the next car ferry arrives, even at peak times.

She will probably go in unload and then layby before going in to reload as only really get about 20 minutes by the time moved from layby to berth and then clearing away to not delay incoming vessel. 

For such simple array of traffic it would be a waste of money starting from scratch on a design as really there is not a lot different you can do with a RoRo.

This ship will make a huge difference to mon and fri car ferries and early morning freight runs by taking 12 trailers off of a raptor means they can potentially carry 60 plus more cars as they could use mezzanine decks ..also freight boat only need 5 crew whereas a raptor has up to 20 crew .so night time freight runs could get a raptor tied up at night .

My parents definitely bought me one from a beach-front shop in Weymouth in the mid - 80s. Ed. 

Yes, I remember seeing those.

I think Red Kestrel is rather an over aspiring name. Red Robin might have been better. Then you could see it come Bob, Bob Bobbing up Southampton Water.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Paully said:

Is it suitable for use in the fog??

Better steer clear of Red Osprey! 😉

Having been on overnight sailings I can see why they need it..also turnarounds on the raptors could be reduced if they don’t have to mess about dropping trailers which has to done one at a time (h+s) also only 5 crew instead of up to 20 .so instead of 2 raptors running overnight with empty car decks one raptor and freight boat .

That top photo is a study in symmetry.

You have to admit that there is a 'does what it says on the tin' air about her.  Very functional, no frills and workmanlike.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 1