jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

Watched a artic petrol tanker go on the last lymington sailing last night ..so the freight boat will be a godsend for these and other hazardous loads as passengers are extremely limited on these sailings and means that hazardous loads can go on many sailings instead of being restricted to one overnight 

Given the new hourly timetable, one wonders if Wightlink could make good use of a Red Kestrel lookalike.  They could call it Albert of Wight perhaps.

20 hours ago, adicat said:

Gunwharf no longer take trade vehicles only Lymington so Red Kestrel could take 48 if need be.

Really? Anybody else heard this? It seems very short sighted? What is classified as a trade vehicle?

20 hours ago, adicat said:

Gunwharf no longer take trade vehicles only Lymington so Red Kestrel could take 48 if need be.

Please clarify. 48 what? It can take 12 lorries. Unsure if that is with or without cabs? Not 48 though!

2 hours ago, bekkia said:

Please clarify. 48 what? It can take 12 lorries. Unsure if that is with or without cabs? Not 48 though!

I didn't really understand this whole post to be honest. Adicat, could you clarify what you meant?

34 minutes ago, CyberMatt said:

I didn't really understand this whole post to be honest. Adicat, could you clarify what you meant?

Sorry...cars. Trade cars is new ones for IOW get dropped off and driven on by staff and are unaccompanied. Portsmouth to Fishbourne no longer accept them. Only Lym-Yar. Therefore Red Kestrel could be used and therefore pinch all the trade. 

11 hours ago, 5_ShortBlasts said:

Her bow seems very close to the waterline?

Must be the same as the existing ferries, as it'll be using the same link spans.

12 hours ago, adicat said:

Sorry...cars. Trade cars is new ones for IOW get dropped off and driven on by staff and are unaccompanied. Portsmouth to Fishbourne no longer accept them. Only Lym-Yar. Therefore Red Kestrel could be used and therefore pinch all the trade. 

They won’t waste the valuable freight space on cars they will just stick them on car ferries ..

'Red Kestrel' is now en route to Southampton, being towed by Tug 'Willpower'. Arrival in Southampton expected Sunday or Monday.

*Image: Ian Collard via Facebook.

56749069_2254756394738688_505100171328094208_n.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to seeing the Red Kestrel arrive in Southampton on Monday.

On a side note I can't believe that adicat had to explain what ''trade vehicles'' meant, really it was so obvious it didn't need an explanation!

UPDATE: - 'Red Kestrel' is currently scheduled to arrive in Southampton on Thursday Afternoon/Evening (18th April) entering via the NAB Channel, docking alongside Berth 48.

As usual, this is Subject to change

Edited by TonyMWeaver

42 minutes ago, The Ferry Man said:

Interesting - I wonder why via the NAB channel and not the Needles?

To pick up the pilot I expect.

Alongside in Pembroke Dock today.

Image: Margaret Patricia Bowen

56764394_1068932036627512_1951221685730410496_n.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver

I assume the reason she is under tow, rather than using her own propulsion, is the same as when the old IOW ships get sent to the Mediterranean. Namely that there is no crew accommodation on board. Ed.