jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

1 hour ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Me neither, I'll see it another time. It's looking more likely to be 07:00 to 08:00

Tony will  it be down to tides ? Plus now there  nearly   halfway over poole bay now ? 

BC7C1658-5EA6-4B07-9855-74040D4BA946.png

1 hour ago, smith85 said:

Tony will  it be down to tides ? Plus now there  nearly   halfway over poole bay now ? 

Highly likely, her draught is 2.82m but the low tide at Hurst Point in the morning is 0.68 at 04:04. Seems they are waiting for the rising tide. Which makes me wonder why they changed from the NAB to the Needles.

She has slowed and is close to Hurst Point now, it's definitely looking at be a 08:00 arrival, slightly earlier than 1st predicted.

45 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

Assuming red kestrel is still attached to the tug they have arrived at red funnel 

Yes, these photos received this morning courtesy of Alex Anderson

57226455_855064918170231_6051105790415077376_o.jpg

57244644_855064871503569_2062843126929686528_o.jpg

• Like 2

Short video of 'Red Kestrel' arriving in Southampton on Thursday. Notice former Wightlink Ferry 'St Cecilia' (Now 'Nando Murrau') in the background.

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 2

Reclining seats, very nice. But are there only 9 of these (3 banks of 3) because that could be 3 disappointed drivers!

Reclining seats, very nice. But are there only 9 of these (3 banks of 3) because that could be 3 disappointed drivers!

There are seats at the tables - it's not exactly a round the world voyage,.

Edited by cvabishop

9 hours ago, cvabishop said:

There are seats at the tables - it's not exactly a round the world voyage,.

No but on a night crossing it's a decent length of time for a commercial driver to have a snooze in a reclining seat. What if all 12 drivers want a snooze... Do they have to draw straws or play rock paper scissors? Maybe there's 3 more recliners somewhere else.

At least two more can stretch out on the bench-seats on the right hand side, maybe three. And, if not, I guess they assume there will always be one eating, drinking, smoking or peeing to avoid the need for fisticuffs in the saloon bar. Ed. 

I doubt she will ever carry 12 drivers, Red Funnel carry unaccompanied freight so some of the 12 freight spaces will be unaccompanied trailers.

• Like 1

On 05/05/2019 at 21:25, The Ferry Man said:

Anyone know what Red Kestral is up to at the moment? Looking at AIS seems to have been moored up past few days.

Unknown at the moment, I don't think she's even done any berthing trials yet. She's still on Berth 48.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TonyMWeaver said:

Unknown at the moment, I don't think she's even done any berthing trials yet. She's still on Berth 48.

Looking at her track over the past 30 days.... has she actually been to the island yet?

Screenshot_20190507-190459.png