jonno

Newbuild Freight Ferry for Red Funnel - Red Kestrel

48 minutes ago, bekkia said:

Looking at her track over the past 30 days.... has she actually been to the island yet?

Screenshot_20190507-190459.png

I don't know about the island, but she does seem to have been shopping at West Quay Retail Park. Ed. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, bekkia said:

Looking at her track over the past 30 days.... has she actually been to the island yet?

Nope, not moved from Southampton since she's been there.

32 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I don't know about the island, but she does seem to have been shopping at West Quay Retail Park. Ed. 

Assuming you're talking about the track going across Southampton.... I'm pretty sure that's the delivery voyage as the crow flies. I don't think AIS was active throughout so it's just showing the start and finish locations.... So it's just sort of joined up the points.

Screenshot_20190507-202851.png

It is quite odd though. For it not to have been to the island at all yet.

Looking on the booking engine it looks as if sailings are available from 17th May.

Screenshot_20190507-215759.png

Probaly a lot of crew training taking place in the classroom and getting to grips with all the moving parts .thats the way it is now in all jobs and this would take weeks and would need to be signed off before the ship moves anywhere .

Red Kestrel will be on the move this afternoon (Wednesday 8th May 2019)

The plan is: Town Quay for 1300 
1300 - Vessel on Town Quay
1330 - 1500 Engine Sea Trial Southampton Water
1500 - 1930 Crew Training, intend sailing down to Western Solent to keep clear of traffic. Perhaps as far as Fort Victoria 
1930 - Return to 48 Berth

• Thanks 2

Look about 5 posts above yours and you will see the ex-Southampton times as from 17/05/19. The ex-island times are likely to be around 1.5 hours after those. Ed. 

I thought the idea was to have her come in and unload and then layby and then come back in and load. Otherwise she is likely to get only about 15 minutes to move 24 artic/trailers.

Is that photo taken from Red Eagle?  If so it really brings home how tiny Kestrel is.  Hope she doesn’t tip over when they try and drive a lorry onto her!

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Is that photo taken from Red Eagle?  If so it really brings home how tiny Kestrel is.  Hope she doesn’t tip over when they try and drive a lorry onto her!

Yeah, she's tiny in comparison. That's a webcam image from Red Eagle.

Think it was red osprey as couldn’t find a webcam on the eagle 🦅 u can see her from cowes sailing club webcam as well 

She is clearly in service now as there were quite a few lorries on the last one out of east cowes.. seems to work quite well in between the raptors 

4 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

She is clearly in service now as there were quite a few lorries on the last one out of east cowes.. seems to work quite well in between the raptors 

Only a guess, but as it's extremely early days these may still be trial runs with 'volunteer' trailer companies getting a freebie trip.

There are the usual trailers on there plus I see an co op lorry which is an 18 tonne one so would have a driver .some of these would of been on later ferries when it would be quieter ..the raptors are full on every crossing 

She has a cafe ..and 9 reclining seats plus tables to sit at ..she is certified for 12 passengers so can carry hazardous loads ..there are an ever increasing loads of petrol tankers coming over on ferries as the storage depot over here is at capacity and we keep running out of diesel etc  over here so I wonder if there is a plan to bring more of it over here on this ferry ....because when they put hazardous loads on normal ferries there is a limit on the number of passengers they can carry but with this ship they can be carried all the time 

• Thanks 1