Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
cvabishop

French CRIT'Air Certificate

Recommended Posts

As we are going to the Loire Valley in May I thought I would check out the CRIT'Air air quality certificate. Although I think it is only needed for some large cities at the moment it does look like the scheme will be progressively extended to other areas of the country.

I applied for it online on 10th February through the official website: https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

Don't apply for it anywhere else as you will be overcharged by an 'agent'.

There is an application form with for your personal details and the car VIN number and CO2 rating. If you know your car's Emission Euro Rating you can include this but they will work out which certificate you need from the CO2 figure. You must also send a copy of the car registration document (just the main page) and the file size cannot be more than 400kb in either PDF or JPEG format. The fee is 4.80 Euros which covers the certificate and  postage to the UK.

The next day I had a confirmation email with a PDF file attached which can act as a temporary certificate pending receipt of the actual one. The actual certificate arrived on Friday 16th.

So a painless and efficient procedure really and not too expensive.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for reminding me, CVA.  I had assumed it still only affected Central Paris, Lyon and Grenoble, but I see that Vendée is now an environmental zone.  Better get a "vignette" before hols in July!

TBH, we've never seen an air pollution problem in the 10+ years we've been going there, always been bright blue sky and sunshine, with the occasional thunderstorm, apart from last year which was wet and cold! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Never heard of this - is this something we need to do before visiting the Loire in April?  BF has not told us anything about it.....

Take a look at this and then try and work out if you need one or not. Ed 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html&ved=2ahUKEwiHzo3vl7LZAhUFaVAKHVmyCp0QFjABegQIBxAB&usg=AOvVaw3KPMs9xeqxUV46zvcSnDw7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is something about it on this BF page, guide to motoring in France http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/driving/france, but neither it nor any of the official sites it links to makes any reference of the Loire.   But thanks Ed, that site has much more information.  Concerning that, without this site, there would have been no information about this provided by BF at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, PSUPete said:

Thank you for reminding me, CVA.  I had assumed it still only affected Central Paris, Lyon and Grenoble, but I see that Vendée is now an environmental zone.  Better get a "vignette" before hols in July!

TBH, we've never seen an air pollution problem in the 10+ years we've been going there, always been bright blue sky and sunshine, with the occasional thunderstorm, apart from last year which was wet and cold! 

I live and work in the Vendee and have never heard of this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is more information here which lists the zones:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

It does include the Vendee.

However, it appears that that there are different types of zone and some are imposed under certain comditions temporarily by the local authorities when air quality is bad. It appears that you can click on the relevant region on the website above to see what the current state of play is, that is if you remember to do so. This could get confusing....

Edit - there is also a phone app, details again on the above website which seems to be the same one Ed has listed.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

There is more information here which lists the zones:

https://www.crit-air.fr/en.html

It does include the Vendee.

However, it appears that that there are different types of zone and some are imposed under certain comditions temporarily by the local authorities when air quality is bad. It appears that you can click on the relevant region on the website above to see what the current state of play is, that is if you remember to do so. This could get confusing....

Edit - there is also a phone app, details again on the above website which seems to be the same one Ed has listed.

Yes it does include the Vendee but only  when pollution levels rise to the levels required to apply the restrictions.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The €4.80 is probably a good investment considering the fine for not having one is €70, just on the off-chance it is in force should we happen to end up in La Roche-sur-Yon or Poitiers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gareth said:

Never heard of this - is this something we need to do before visiting the Loire in April?  BF has not told us anything about it.....

This is the link we used from Practical Motorhome it includes a simulation which we found to be accurate when we applied. We have a yellow disc with a No2 in the centre.

https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

What I said Impremerie... :)

I did look into the site before I re-posted.................................However I would not get too concerned about this. I work for a printing company at La Roche sur Yon and none of us knew anything about this before I told them of today's posts on BFE.

Edited by imprimerie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, imprimerie said:

I did look into the site before I re-posted.................................However I would not get too concerned about this. I work for a printing company at La Roche sur Yon and none of us knew anything about this before I told them of today's posts on BFE.

It's probably only us Brits that will get clobbered if we find ourselves on the wrong side of the French regulations! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the way to work it out is this : If  you can clearly see the stickers in other people's windscreens then you don't need one. If however you can't see  through the dense cloud of diesel fumes whether they have got one or not then you should probably consider acquing one, or a new set of lungs. Hope that helps. Ed. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gareth said:

It's probably only us Brits that will get clobbered if we find ourselves on the wrong side of the French regulations! ;)

According to my neighbour who runs speed awareness courses for TLC, over here they do you for speeding instead by using the overhead gantry signs to slow everyone down to cut emissions and noise pollution... 3 points and £100 fine all because Barratt decided to build on the side of the M1... marvelous!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now I'm even more confused. I just saw an article in Complete France Magazine dated 16 Feb 18: -

http://www.completefrance.com/travel/the-vehicle-stickers-you-need-to-buy-before-driving-in-paris-1-4995613 

This says - "All drivers (including foreign drivers) in Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Lille, Toulouse and Annecy must now display these Crit’Air stickers on their windscreen or risk a fine of up to €135."  No mention of the new environmental zones.  This possibly explains why imprimerie hasn't heard anything in La Roche s/Yon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as you stay out of central Paris you should be ok (and I believe using the ring road is still possible - however beware GPS instructions which could take you inside the zone just to loop around an exit where you can't turn left or right for example - Vanves is a classic case I discovered in December). And if it's not a day on which there is an alert you should be ok in the other cities too. I would guess the chances of excess pollution will be higher in the summer so it may be wise to buy the sticker if you think there is a risk you could get caught. Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For less than a fiver we thought it best to get one anyway just in case. We got one for the car too, the V5 will need to be a compressed document, I used "Smallpdf" the software offers four compressions as part of a free trial or it can be done online easy enough.

Don't worry about the emission figures they ask for (V7 & V9) as UK documents prior to 2018 don't have them and the software recognizes this.

All in all a painless experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PSUPete said:

And now I'm even more confused. I just saw an article in Complete France Magazine dated 16 Feb 18: -

http://www.completefrance.com/travel/the-vehicle-stickers-you-need-to-buy-before-driving-in-paris-1-4995613 

This says - "All drivers (including foreign drivers) in Paris, Lyon, Grenoble, Strasbourg, Lille, Toulouse and Annecy must now display these Crit’Air stickers on their windscreen or risk a fine of up to €135."  No mention of the new environmental zones.  This possibly explains why imprimerie hasn't heard anything in La Roche s/Yon.

Being a dual national (and being a Londoner) sometimes makes me smile.The Brits worry a lot about all these rules whereas the French out in the provinces (out here in the sticks in the Vendee and who have no intention of setting  foot in Paris) couldn't care.The Brits are a law abiding bunch of folk and that shows in this thread.

Edited by imprimerie
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The Brits worry a lot about all these rules whereas the French out in the provinces (out here in the sticks in the Vendee and who have no intention of setting  foot in Paris) couldn't care.The Brits are a law abiding bunch of folk and that shows in this thread.

That may be true, but as Gareth has suggested, Brits abroad are easy targets. Over the years  I have just had two contacts with the Gendarmerie and on both occasions they demanded all the documents I was supposed to be carrying, and in fact was.

Just not displaying one of these disks could mark you out for attention in one of the designated regions whether it is 'air pollution day' or not should the cops be in the mood for some idle fun.

I agree the French couldn't care less about rules and regulations they don't like which might go some way to explaining why they have twice as many road deaths as the British despite having twice as much road room to have them on!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

That may be true, but as Gareth has suggested, Brits abroad are easy targets. Over the years  I have just had two contacts with the Gendarmerie and on both occasions they demanded all the documents I was supposed to be carrying, and in fact was.

Just not displaying one of these disks could mark you out for attention in one of the designated regions whether it is 'air pollution day' or not should the cops be in the mood for some idle fun.

I agree the French couldn't care less about rules and regulations they don't like which might go some way to explaining why they have twice as many road deaths as the British despite having twice as much road room to have them on!

The French police have probably got far more resources than their British counterparts to have on the spot inspections.As regards having more road deaths than the UK, one of the reasons for this may be explained by the higher speed limits on French motorways than the UK and the ability for drivers in France to drive faster because of the lack of traffic congestion.It's not good because higher speeds obviously causes road accidents and deaths but it may be a reason.

Edited by imprimerie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would question that higher speed obviously causes road accicents - actually it is mainly just poor driving and you are just as likely, if not more so, to have an accident in a town or minor road. I have found that the standard of driving generally gets worse the further south you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, cvabishop said:

I would question that higher speed obviously causes road accicents - actually it is mainly just poor driving and you are just as likely, if not more so, to have an accident in a town or minor road. I have found that the standard of driving generally gets worse the further south you go.

Having seen the way they drive on narrow rural roads, I don't think it's a surprise to anyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...