Sign in to follow this  
cvabishop

French CRIT'Air Certificate

4 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

We were in that area last year, almost every junction seems to have its little roundabout now. It did seem to keep the trafic moving though.

I tried counting the roundabouts from Lesconil to Audernie on one journey but stopped at 23.

26 minutes ago, Fine Whine said:

Gareth,

This signal means you approach the next junction with extreme trepidation....

France_road_sign_AB1svg.jpg

Sorry it's so large....

When you see one of these, whether in towns and cities or down a remote country lane be aware that at the next intersection joining from the right the vehicle coming out of said junction has priority - and don't they know it!

B9.jpg

This is the sign Jardinier is referring to; it means the lane you are in has priority over all other traffic whether entering from the left or right.

Clear now?

Chris

In addition to the above :

The code de la route is very clear. In the absence of a signalisation e.g. The above signs or a stop or cédez le passage you must assume that the give way to the right regime applies. This also the case when traffic lights are defective (flashing Amber) unless the yellow square is affixed to the traffic lights. 

• Thanks 1

Another thing to look for is a solid white line in the drivers lane of the side road, if there they should stop if not they have right of way.  Difficult to see when on a main road but it's something else to help.

14 hours ago, Jardinier said:

I'm fully aware of variable speed limits in the UK, too, and generally have found that the speeds shown are inappropriate, largely because whatever incident or eventuality necessitated a reduced speed had long since disappeared. I experienced this only a fortnight ago on the M42. It happens all the time on the motorways around Birmingham, at least.

In the UK the variable speed limits posted on the catenary towers are also used for emission reduction & noise pollution. Slowing traffic long before a bottleneck or congestion allows it to maintain a constant lower speed rather than just add to a traffic queue

Speed restrictions in the UK will increase further as we see more hard shoulders disappear, there's nowhere to go if you breakdown plus the emergency services must weave through traffic... The M42 is renowned for it and the M62 is becoming as bad possibly as they are the only UK motorways linking east & west.

When negotiating UK roundabouts a driver must give way to traffic on the right.

3 hours ago, jonno said:

The M42 is renowned for it and the M62 is becoming as bad possibly as they are the only UK motorways linking east & west.

Where does the M4 go between then? And what about half of the M25 and the M27? I know they're south of The Wash but...Obviously I've been misinformed.

Edited by G4rth

Oh G4rth, G4rth, G4rth! Such sarcasm!  Such venom!  Poor Jonno.  But have you never come across the M6 between Birmingham and Catthorpe?  It’s kind of east-west.  The M3 is kind of down your way too.  Maybe both your post and Jonno’s were intended to be more illustrative than definitive?! 😉😉

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

Oh G4rth, G4rth, G4rth! Such sarcasm!  Such venom!  Poor Jonno.  But have you never come across the M6 between Birmingham and Catthorpe?

Sarcasm and venom? Not intentional I can asure you. I was merely attempting to right a wrong perpetrated on the much maligned designers of the UK motorway system. "Have you never come across the M6 between Birmingham and Catthorpe". To be perfectly honest, no I haven't although I'm sure it's a great example of British engineering. To my shame the M6 has, for me, never gone further than Birmingham to Stoke-on-Trent. 

Edited by G4rth

7 hours ago, jonno said:

In the UK the variable speed limits posted on the catenary towers are also used for emission reduction & noise pollution. Slowing traffic long before a bottleneck or congestion allows it to maintain a constant lower speed rather than just add to a traffic queue

Speed restrictions in the UK will increase further as we see more hard shoulders disappear, there's nowhere to go if you breakdown plus the emergency services must weave through traffic... The M42 is renowned for it and the M62 is becoming as bad possibly as they are the only UK motorways linking east & west.

When negotiating UK roundabouts a driver must give way to traffic on the right.

Variable traffic speeds have, I know, been very successful in keeping traffic moving steadily rather than in stop/go queues. I imagine you have given this explanation because you felt one was needed, or else to defend the concept. I feel the idea and intention are good, but the practicality is that motorists develop a distrust of the signage when it is inaccurate, and in the last few months in particular, but over years preceding that, too, I have found the maximum speed restrictions on variable speed displays, whether of the newer kind on overhead gantries or the older versions at the roadside, to be quite frequently useless and thus causing a problem simply because an incident has been cleared and the queues dissipated, yet the temporary limit has not been switched off.

My recent travels were mainly from Portsmouth to Stoke-on-Trent, with further sorties north up the M6 (roadworks and 50mph limit from J16 to J19 - a lot of miles!) and then east on the M62/M60 (more roadworks and 50 limit from M6 to some point between Saddleworth Moor and Huddersfield) . The M40 is not too bad, but depending on time of day the M42, M6 and M62 can be very trying. Happily, I'm very patient, and, being retired, have little cause to rush anywhere.

East-West transport links are a pain in England generally, including poor train services. And there may be dragons north of Watford, but there is far too little investment in the north, with the projected high-speed train service only likely to suck more business down south, as far as I can see. But that's another matter.

I learnt some 50 years ago which direction the traffic travels on a UK roundabout. Beware those French ones, though. On some of them, you don't give way to traffic already engaged on them. (Thought I'd better get vaguely back on topic, though we've certainly drifted away from the Crit'Air scheme).

Going back to the original discussion of the CRIT'Air  sticker, got mine for my trip next week, but it's supposed to be mounted on the left side of the windscreen (from outside the car), which is fine for LHD cars, but could be classed as an obstruction in RHD cars.  Has anyone else with a RHD vehicle mounted it elsewhere on the screen?  I did contact them after receiving the sticker but their reply wasn't really clear.

Mine is on the RH side of the windscreen. That said, on our recent visit to the Loire Valley I didn't see another car with the sticker!

Mines is on the passenger side I doubt we will need it unless things go extremely wrong direction wise but got it just incase.

9 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Mines is on the passenger side I doubt we will need it unless things go extremely wrong direction wise but got it just incase.

That was my feeling.  I've also got my car now for at least three years, and areas are only likely to increase as times go on, so I thought I'd get one now, as the area I'm off to at the end of the week is classed as a 'weather dependent zone'

I've been trying - and failing - to apply for the Crit'air sticker on the official site.  I fill in all the required fields and upload the pdf of the V5 (have also tried to attach a photo when using the iPad) but the form won't save.  Does anyone who has successfully applied have any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

49 minutes ago, LucilleFW said:

I've been trying - and failing - to apply for the Crit'air sticker on the official site.  I fill in all the required fields and upload the pdf of the V5 (have also tried to attach a photo when using the iPad) but the form won't save.  Does anyone who has successfully applied have any idea of what I might be doing wrong?

It has to be shrunk in order to fit. There are free online programs available to do it. Try ResizeImage.net, also once you have it be careful how you peel it from the sheet.

• Thanks 1

I saved mine to a private Facebook photo then downloaded that again and uploaded it to the site saved using extra software. (I deleted it from Facebook almost immediately afterwards.)

Shame you cant post a copy of the V5 to them, after all they use the postal system to send the certificates out

Excellent - well done, and you can now travel with peace of mind that a French gendarme in a bad mood will not be able to clobber you for not having one!

I travelled with similar peace of mind to the Vendee at Easter....and was semi-amused to note that, in a whole week, I did not see a single French car that had one in it! 😂

2 hours ago, Gareth said:

in a whole week, I did not see a single French car that had one in it! 😂

I think I warned you about that earlier in the year! 😀 Ed

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, LucilleFW said:

Thank you for your ideas and suggestions, I am pleased to say that I have now successfully applied for my vignette!  

Was it the file size or some other missing detail? Ed