The Ferry Man

Portsmouth Berth 4 to be replaced

Just now, TonyMWeaver said:

I believe Pounds have brought the old linkspan 4.

What on earth for?!

1 hour ago, Gareth said:

What on earth for?!

For scrap I expect, the Barge is moving there from the ferryport tomorrow at 10:00am with 2 tugs from SMS Towage.

Going by a schedule I've received this evening, a Barge is being moved from Pounds Moorings to Berth 4 at the Ferry Port at 10am. It looks like Pounds are taking the old linkspan away.

SMS Towage 'Guardsman' passing ahead of Brittany Ferries 'Mont St Michel', returning to base after completing the movement of the old No.4 Linkspan (08/03/18).

1.jpg

Some photographs of the old No4 linkspan being removed from PIP this morning. Hard to believe this was installed prior to the arrival of the ’gamechanging’  Normandie! 

7F1F9D5B-3522-4B7C-834B-95A5D617BCA1.jpeg

9E3BFA84-CBEA-493C-A647-B7B9EBD43C5C.jpeg

A2BCF9C5-AEDB-4EBB-B394-48699AD0E029.jpeg

The Baie de Seine was the first ship to use the new linkspan, on Saturday 17th March.

I've noticed that, since the new berth 4 has come back into use, it has been used quite sparingly.  Generally by BDS and Cap Finistere.  The Caen ships seem to still be using berth 3 on a regular basis, as is the St Malo ship.  Anyone aware of why this is the case?  Is berth 4 still in the process of being commissioned?  Or is there something about it that makes it less suitable for the Caen ships than the previous berth 4?

I noticed that as well. I winder if it is due to Berth 3 being more quicker for turnarounds - the new Berth four upper deck fingers look very narrow, especially compared to berth 3. I would have thought they would have had more - looks almost single lane wide.

What other services are supplied by the linkspan? Do they take on fresh water and evacuate sewage through pipes on the structure? If so, perhaps the system is not up and running yet or is not compatible with MSM, Armorique and Normandie. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

What other services are supplied by the linkspan? Do they take on fresh water and evacuate sewage through pipes on the structure? If so, perhaps the system is not up and running yet or is not compatible with MSM, Armorique and Normandie. Ed. 

(speculating wildly) Perhaps a gentle start on the Spanish ships where the schedules would allow time to be caught up, should there be any teething issues.

Looks as if berth 4 hasn’t been used at all for the past 36 hours or so.  Must be a problem with it (?).

On 28/03/2018 at 22:49, Gareth said:

Looks as if berth 4 hasn’t been used at all for the past 36 hours or so.  Must be a problem with it (?).

'Normandie' is on Linkspan 4 in Portsmouth today (Friday).

Berth 4 seems to be in full normal operation now.  Usage now as it was with the previous berth 4.  I guess whatever gremelins there might have been (with the upper tier?) have now been ironed out.

16 hours ago, Gareth said:

Berth 4 seems to be in full normal operation now.  Usage now as it was with the previous berth 4.  I guess whatever gremelins there might have been (with the upper tier?) have now been ironed out.

Yes, I was out and back on Mont St Michel yesterday......berth 4 was used as per normal.

Andy