Andy

Ouistreham Disruption 11/12 March 2018

6 minutes ago, G4rth said:

If that's all there is I would have thought he'd be more likely to die of boredom long before he walked out because of over work.

Wait for next week. Ed

11 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Can I be officially excluded from this list please. ūüėäEd.¬†

If it's so bad living in France why do you live here? As regards those striking at Ouistreham let's hope that this dispute is over as quickly as possible.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gareth said:

By "industrial action", you are presumably referring to unannounced, no-notice industrial action of the kind that is the topic of this thread.  Yes, I suspect that one of the reasons we two nations are poles apart in our thinking (and I agree that you are both right on that), is that this is a phenomenon which has not been part of U.K. life for something like 30 years.  Industrial action does take place, from time to time, in the U.K., but as a matter of law is always with a minimum notice period of 7 days.  In that respect, on this particular matter, our two cultures are very different and difficult to reconcile.

20 hours ago, cvabishop said:

Always interesting to see that those who live in France seem to countenance actions that  would be unacceptable in the UK today and quote historical UK events of over 30 years ago as comparable examples. Perhaps that simply indicates how far France is behind the times in industrial matters. President Macron appears to acknowledge this.

Or perhaps why the standard of living is higher in France and why the U.K finds itself in such an utter mess.

Edited by eddy
incorrect spelling
  • Like 2

Or perhaps why the standard of living is higher in France and why the U.K finds itself in such an utter mess.

A subjective view I think. Not sure how you go about proving a statement like that.

Edited by cvabishop
  • Confused 1

Totally. I¬īm not sure either, probably very near impossible, but it may stimulate more interest.

4 hours ago, imprimerie said:

If it's so bad living in France why do you live here? As regards those striking at Ouistreham let's hope that this dispute is over as quickly as possible.

A rather simplistic way of looking at things, perhaps. There are far more positive reasons to live over here than negative ones. It's just that the negative ones are those which I feel a modern, progressive economy should have cracked down on long ago, were it not for decades of weak government. It's also not a question of France being better than the UK (or any other country I could have chosen) but simply that it's different and the quality of life is good. I didn't chose to come over here to work due to the inability to find work in the UK. It was simply an opportunity which presented itself and then developed into 18 years and counting. I work mostly in the private sector with a little bit of public-sector work each week to maintain my contacts etc. As such very few, or none, of the reforms that successive governments have tried to introduce would have had any significant impact on my status or employment conditions. But, unlike I suspect most of those who retire to France, I find it frustrating that certain groups of people (who already benefit form an enormous number of advantages not accorded to private-sector workers) continually seem to want more while giving nothing back. They stop work at the drop of a hat if any of the aforementioned benefits are threatened and believe this gives them the right to disrupt our lives (with all the knock-on effects I outlined the other day) safe in the knowledge that their unions will support them financially for any loses they suffer while the rest of the population don't have such help.

Ed

• Like 3
  • Haha 1