Khaines

Dead ships showing up on AIS

Another blast from the past - just came across this on Marine Traffic.   I was looking for photos and put Caedmon in the search box, to see if there were any of her or her sisters and this appeared.  I thought they would be classed as dead ships now, therefore not showing up on the map.  The other two show up as well.  Just been killing time waiting for a visitor and seeing as I am into all things C class at the moment for some reason, I thought I would look for old photos and wondered if Marine Traffic still had any even though the ships are long gone.  Surprised to see her icon out in the Solent after all this time, and both her sisters show up as well - unfortunately Cuthred doesn’t (name change).  I looked for her the other day and Marine Traffic came up with zilch for Mira Praia as well.  But it is showing up the three sisters, albeing the time stamp being many, many days ago.  

Wonder how many other dead vessels still show up on AIS.

F811810F-3C87-480C-AECA-97258487306E.jpeg

If I didn’t know different as to her whereabouts, I would have hopped on a train to go and see the old scruff..😄

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

If I didn’t know different as to her whereabouts, I would have hopped on a train to go and see the old scruff..😄

Ahh but if you didn't know better, it would just be Caedmon on her usual route, nothing special ;)

I'm sure I saw the AIS of the Pamela once, a few years after she was scrapped. I guess the AIS unit was saved

6 hours ago, Khaines said:

Tried to add her to “my fleet”....😉

Why? She's not going anywhere fast is she? I think her last known position is likely to remain the same for some while yet.;) Ed

Devilment: Ed, for pure devilment, to see if she would add, while looking for Cuthred recently, she did not appear, so wasn’t really expecting this one to either.  But seeing as that part of the app worked, lets see for a bit of fun if she will add to my fleet.   I have all the BF ships on there, Nova Star, Liberation and Waverley - now joined by the C - class, three dead boats.... I was only looking in the first place to kill time as was talking about Cuthred and one of my holy grails of photos is Caedmon without her prow, if one exists, I have seen ones where she had the piece of steel welded over where there was a gaping hole, but have often wondered what she looked like before this, at the time she arrived at Fishbourne with one end missing.  

Never looked for pictures of those boats on marinetraffic before, only just thought to yesterday, and wondered if any photos existed in on their galleries, so decided to have a poke around, and decided to have a play around at the time.  As for her last known position, along with her sisters, well, thank goodness it is home, not bloomin’ Esjberg, unlike Quiberon’s being the Indian beaches.  Nice to know their last resting place on AIS at lease is where they spent their lives.

Edited by Khaines
  • Like 1

Cenwulf is still on Street View, lol!   Seeing over the past couple of days I thought I’d poke around Smedegarden on street view to see what ships were there - never expected this...   Never wandered round there before, another devilment thing cos rubbish on the TV.  As mentioned the place a couple of days ago, let’s go and have a poke round.  

Obviously Cenwulf is long gone, think she was the last up the beach, but after the AIS surprise, a bit uncanny!   When I saw the funnels I thought, that isn’t who I think it is, is it - yes it is, blimey, never expected to see one of those sitting there.  

1E561528-6F5E-43BB-9C9C-0FAEBF4A09E2.jpeg