Sign in to follow this  
Andy

CRUISE ROMA and CRUISE BARCELONA Lengthening

Fincantieri and the Grimaldi Group have signed a letter of intent for the lengthening and refurbishment of the cruise ferries CRUISE ROMA and CRUISE BARCELONA
The construction of the two mid-body sections will begin in 2018, while the completion of the works at Palermo shipyard is foreseen within summer 2019. The two vessels, currently in service on the daily route Civitavecchia- Porto Torres-Barcelona with the Grimaldi Lines livery, were built by Fincantieri shipyard in Castellammare di Stabia and delivered to the Neapolitan group in 2007 and 2008 respectively. They are 225m long, having a gross tonnage of 54,000 tons and capacity of transporting about 3,000 passengers, with a 2,400 m2 car deck and around 3,000 linear metres for heavy vehicles.

About 600 additional linear metres for heavy vehicles, 80 sleeping accommodations in new passenger cabins, two new public spaces with a total capacity of 450 Pullman beds and a new “Family self-service” restaurant having about 270 seats, will be placed in the lengthening section, some 29m long. Furthermore important refurbishment works on the existing public areas will also be carried out, including the creation of a theme restaurant. Finally, safety equipment of the ship will be implemented in order to manage the increased passenger transport capacity.

At the end of the lengthening project, to be carried out by Fincantieri’s Ship Repair and Conversion division, each ship will be about 254m long, having a gross tonnage of about 63,000 tons and being able to transport 3,500 passengers, with a3,000 m2 car deck and over 3,700 linear meters for heavy vehicles.

From the technological point of view, solutions aimed at reducing the environmental impact and energy saving will be taken, such as a scrubber system for exhaust gas cleaning as well as a system to power the ship during the turnaround time in ports, based on mega-lithium batteries, in order to avoid the use of the diesel-powered generators, achieving the goal of zero port emissions, pursued by the Grimaldi Group.

Source: WorldCargoNews

A few years ago it was rumored that BF were interested in acquiring either of these vessels for their Spanish operations. Clearly Grimaldi now have a future for these vessels - and their increased length would prevent them from berthing in either Plymouth or Portsmouth.

For some reason, Grimaldi must be doing real good on these routes.

Honesty, these two sisters look great from the exterior. But to travel on them as a tourist, they are possibly the worst quality ferries I've ever sailed on. Cheap interiors, noisy vibration-heavy engines, diabolical food and disorganised service. Actually, they are the exact opposite of BF.  

• Like 1

But the important question is how much they charge for these

'Cheap interiors, noisy vibration-heavy engines, diabolical food and disorganised service'

Can you give us an idea of what you paid? Thanks.

Ed

Yes, not cheap but it's a long crossing. Did you find you got value for money, particularly if you compared it to the cost of driving all the way round? Ed

I was not doing the trip as a substitute for driving!

It was only a a crossing from Barcelona to Porto Torres.

A couple of days later, I got a GNV ferry the "Toscana" from Porto Torres to Genoa for €68. (2-berth standard outside cabin)  The ship, even though built in 1981 was immaculate. The engines purred along. The restaurant was superb. The bar served fresh frothy and cold Herrnbrau beer from the keg. The crew were friendly.  

Do I think I got value for money? well it was certainly not in the "rip off" category as it did include a nights accommodation. But value for money will always be relative to the competition! And in this case GNV were far superior.

Yes it's difficult to get to Sardinia by road! I assumed you were going from Spain to the Italian mainland. And yes the price, while realistic, does need to reflect the perceived quality and in this case did not. But, can you really class the two companies as being in competition? Do they run any parallel services? Ed. 

GNV and Grimaldi both operate Italy-Spain, Sardinia and Sicily routes so are in competition quite often although I'm not sure how cutthroat it is (compared to the Grimaldi-Moby blood feud).

But I totally agree with zuludelta on the merits (or lack of) of the Cruise class and Grimaldi generally. The service is often poor as is the food and the quality of outfit of new ships (and new areas on old ships) is in my view poor.

GNV are often little better on the service front but have better purpose-built hardware. I'm sure this is changing over time but in my experience the ex-SNAV bit of the operation is trying to maintain their former standards whilst the existing GNV part continues as it was.

On 3/16/2018 at 06:36, Cabin-boy said:

Yes it's difficult to get to Sardinia by road! I assumed you were going from Spain to the Italian mainland. And yes the price, while realistic, does need to reflect the perceived quality and in this case did not. But, can you really class the two companies as being in competition? Do they run any parallel services? Ed. 

CB, I don't know enough about them if they are in competition are not. The could be targeting completing different markets. But, they do both sail from Barcelona to Italy so it could be argued that they are indirect competitors!

• Thanks 1

On the Italy-Sardinia route GNV/SNAV (MSC Group) are competition with the Grimaldi Group. Hhv raises an interesting point as you'd think that MSC would want to offer customers the same level of service on both of their lines. It's 8 years now since they acquired GNV from Grimaldi and merged them with SNAV, again you'd think both would now be equal.

I wonder if Grimaldi have the same plans for their Minoan Line Cruise class sisters?