Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

Penn Ar Bed

Brittany Ferries just posted this photo on Instagram of Penn Ar Bedd docked in Saint Malo I thought it worth sharing on here.

Edited by Gareth
  • Like 3

It would have been last Saturday it was blowing the coldest wind I’ve experienced in a long time anywhere closer to a warm Tabac would have been most welcome.

• Like 1

I suspect the lock’s too small to be able to accommodate the current generation of ferries.  From onboard a yacht it is huge, but....!

15 minutes ago, Gareth said:

I suspect the lock’s too small to be able to accommodate the current generation of ferries.  From onboard a yacht it is huge, but....!

150m by 21m are the dimensions quoted here so some of the older, and shorter, ferries might fit but as you say most of the newer ones are just too big. 

http://saintmalo.port.fr/fr/infrastructuresbr-filieres.html

Ed

These photos were taken during the end of September 1993 after the 1st Armorique was withdrawn and laided up for sale.  And next to her was the Duchess Anne laided up after been downgraded as a spare Vessel after been replace by the Bretagne. 

Mv Duchess Anne & Armorique  Laid up in St Malo 1993 no2.jpg

Mv Duchess Anne & Armorique  Laid up in St Malo 1993 no3.jpg

Mv Duchess Anne & Armorique  Laid up in St Malo 1993 no1.jpg

• Like 11

Neil’s post with the old picture makes her look quite big !

I don’t want to get in to the ‘gross tonnage’ vs whatever comparison, but I think we would all agree that there’s a massive difference between her & today’s ferries.  Five times?  Ten times?  Probably nearer the latter.

I can remember the Duchesse Anne laid up in St Malo’s inner harbour as a reserve ship.  Did anybody ever sail on her & what was she like?

Or ........ for that matter, the Penn ar Bed ?

Great pictures, thanks for posting.

I once had a poster, bought on board I think, of the Armorique and Prince of Brittany tied up in St. Malo. It must have been around 1980/81, I've done a search online but alas I can't find it.

8 hours ago, Gardian said:

I don’t want to get in to the ‘gross tonnage’ vs whatever comparison, but I think we would all agree that there’s a massive difference between her & today’s ferries.  Five times?  Ten times?  Probably nearer the latter.

I can remember the Duchesse Anne laid up in St Malo’s inner harbour as a reserve ship.  Did anybody ever sail on her & what was she like?

Sailed on Duchesse Anne as a young child late 80's. All i remember she was pretty small and i was disappointed that she wasn't as good as the Duc! 

Was on the Duchess Anne from Cork to St.Malo June 1993. Used to leave Cork  of a Wednesday night getting in to St. Malo around 14.00 of a Thursday.  As I remember it was a typical ferry of it's time.

I  personally didn't mind sailing on the Duchess Anne as I do look upon my favourite ferries.   In 1994 after the Duchess Anne was used on the St Malo to Cork service.  I then sailed on her to Cork from St Malo.  Then on the return to the UK I sailed on the Isle of Inishmore ( x Leinster)  and out of the 2 the Duchess Anne was a lot better.   As Brittany ferries put back the cabin deck that B & I removed 2 years before.

Mv Duchess Anne  (X B & I  Line  Mv Connacht)  June 1993 entering Portsmouth. no 2.jpg

Mv Duchess Anne Leaving Cork Ireland for Rosscolf France no2.jpg

Mv  Isle of Inishmore ,X Leinster in her new B&I  livery  when she deployed on the Rosslare to Pembroke 1994 no11.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎22‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 21:58, Gardian said:

I sailed on the Duchesse Anne a couple of times and found her quite comfortable, not up to the standard of Bretagne but in my opinion better than the ship she replaced- Prince of Brittnay

Great pics ! 

Could be interesting to turn the topic into 'a blast into the past' kind of thing ? If anyone has more old pics i'm sure we would all be happy to see them !

Edited by Pont-l'Abbé
spelling

5 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Interesting stern door on the Duchesse Anne, when did that change to what she's got now? Was that with BF?

No when she was sold to Jadrolinija of Croatia  She had the stern door removed and was replaced by a extended ramp.

• Thanks 2

I sailed on the Duchesse Anne's maiden voyage from Portsmouth to St Malo, on the 14th February 1989.  She was quite stable on that rough crossing, and seemed quite flash, all chrome and neon signs.  The cabins under the car deck, however were not pleasant and seemed to be original B&i vintage.  Preferred the Prince of Brittany though, such a classic ship.

This is what the Penn-ar-Bed was like - similar it seems to CGT/SNCM tonnage of the era which makes sense given she was a modified version of the Monte Rotondo.

image.jpeg.244eaf4cd54474490a2b2e62c625210a.jpeg

image.jpeg.40de9ca60ba6c56c17e0b2cd20dac083.jpeg

image.jpeg.b44e8e142ab423553337b1a75a76bd87.jpeg

image.jpeg.3648339d645252f0fb3c82bd91ae486d.jpeg

• Like 5