Sign in to follow this  
Jooles

BF versus the competition

18 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

That's quite strange. What vehicle do you have Neil?

Just a normal Ford Focus before that a Megane ,just pot luck I guess as Etretats outside deck is obviously a lot larger.14E8FD60-104E-4192-B381-48FFE34E8411.thumb.jpeg.f601eee2013ea6265b5b59299918b00a.jpeg3B795EBB-03A6-457B-BED9-A4D2069511ED.jpeg.3450f09f9ba3c5b22f3590b5f5e6732b.jpeg

2 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Just a normal Ford Focus before that a Megane ,just pot luck I guess as Etretats outside deck is obviously a lot larger.14E8FD60-104E-4192-B381-48FFE34E8411.thumb.jpeg.f601eee2013ea6265b5b59299918b00a.jpeg3B795EBB-03A6-457B-BED9-A4D2069511ED.jpeg.3450f09f9ba3c5b22f3590b5f5e6732b.jpeg

Its not nuclear powered?! :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Back to salt laden cars which is still off topic. The open deck on the Etretat is reasonably high with a decent side wall so the car is usually ok. I have also been on the open deck of the Amorique and before docking, the crew got the hose out and washed the cars !

18 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Back to salt laden cars which is still off topic. The open deck on the Etretat is reasonably high with a decent side wall so the car is usually ok. I have also been on the open deck of the Amorique and before docking, the crew got the hose out and washed the cars !

Ordinarily I can't see Etretat's deck being much of a problem as it's so enclosed. Having said that, the only time I've been was in a force 8 storm, so I had a thick coating of salt and ash to contend with!

• Haha 1

A busier sailing. My old Berlingo Multispace second lane from the left, suggests this picture may have been in its Norman Voyager days. A distinct possibility it was during the strikes of 2012. The height of the side walls is clear comparing to the cars.

4464306B-DC61-4529-9C7E-E712E92557C1.jpeg

We might well have been on that sailing. We had a complicated weekend with my daughters wedding in Bournemouth and were booked to sail to Santander on the Sunday afternoon on Cap. The strike came on and stayed on so a rapid search from our hotel showed the LD lines sailing on NV. We just got a place but no cabin. Arrived in good time but it was in my view overloaded. We had never had such a steep offset ramp before but took it steady and the top deck was rammers. Parked up and entered reception and naively tried to upgrade to a cabin, no joy! It was packed no seating anywhere with people sitting on the floor. I then explored and stuck my head in the cinema spotted two seats at the back grabbed them then telephoned HID to bring the bags and secure the territory. We spent a very uncomfortabe night but survived and were in France. On the way we booked the next leg from St Nazaire which was on Norman Atlantic this time we could upgrade and got a roomy cabin and slept well on the way to Gijon.  Soon after NA WAS DESTROYED BY A FIRE IF I RECALL CORRECTLY!

Edited by JohnMustow
Spelling

9 hours ago, JohnMustow said:

We might well have been on that sailing. We had a complicated weekend with my daughters wedding in Bournemouth and were booked to sail to Santander on the Sunday afternoon on Cap. The strike came on and stayed on so a rapid search from our hotel showed the LD lines sailing on NV. We just got a place but no cabin. Arrived in good time but it was in my view overloaded. We had never had such a steep offset ramp before but took it steady and the top deck was rammers. Parked up and entered reception and naively tried to upgrade to a cabin, no joy! It was packed no seating anywhere with people sitting on the floor. I then explored and stuck my head in the cinema spotted two seats at the back grabbed them then telephoned HID to bring the bags and secure the territory. We spent a very uncomfortabe night but survived and were in France. On the way we booked the next leg from St Nazaire which was on Norman Atlantic this time we could upgrade and got a roomy cabin and slept well on the way to Gijon.  Soon after NA WAS DESTROYED BY A FIRE IF I RECALL CORRECTLY!

I was on the Friday evening Le Havre to Portsmouth, we were lucky to find somewhere to sit down and stayed there all sailing. 

On 26/03/2018 at 21:39, wortley said:

As a follow up I told my London daughter how good the Brittany Ferries service is  but she keeps saying that flying from Gatwick to Nantes is going to take just 90 minutes,  but going by ferry from Portsmouth would be 6 hours on the water and 6 hours driving. How can I make her see the error of her ways?  :)

Gatwick South Terminal on a busy day would be enough to put anyone off flying. 

• Like 1

It's horses for courses, flying and have the hassle of getting on and off the flight, limited luggage for your holidays, car parking charges, rip off car hire, rubbish catering. Ferry rapid boarding and just about hassle free, decent catering, comfortable seating, no hire car, good road system other side. Unless you are going long haul we much prefer the ferry.