Sign in to follow this  
Millsy

SNCF Strike Programme 2018

Unions have called a series of two day strikes on SNCF over the next three months.

The details of the dates affected can be found here

SNCF's new Oui site ( in English) will give details of the trains that are running, in the near future by 17:00 the day before, access it from here

I will try to keep up to date with what is going on and post it on this page.

Edited by Millsy
  • Thanks 1

One of which occurs on Mrs Jim's birthday - therefore it means our little break to France by train has been extended! Every cloud etc etc

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, Jim said:

One of which occurs on Mrs Jim's birthday - therefore it means our little break to France by train has been extended! Every cloud etc etc

I’ll be surprised if this lasts (hope I’m right!)

Serious disruption to rail services for 2 days / week will bring the country to a standstill before very long.  The public will be reluctant to make any plans, even for days which are in theory unaffected.

I don’t think that Macron will roll over and I sense that the general public are overall in general agreement (although I have no firm evidence for that view).  The month of May sees three Bank Holidays over here and plans for long weekends with family / friends will be at risk.  This is to say nothing of the impact on commuters in to the major cities.

The sheer severity of the effects of the strike action will lead to talks before very long and I therefore doubt that this will last longer than April.  I’d be interested in the views of other French residents.

Industrial Action SNCF workers

The French public is currently split over support for the industrial action:44% of the French approve (up six points in two weeks), whilst 41% are against (down eight points).

Of the 44%  who support the industrial action, 20% support it strongly (+3), and 24% (+3) merely sympathise with the strikers.

Of the 41% (-8) who are against, 19% (-7) are simply against, and 22% (-1) are strongly against.

15% (+3) are not persuaded either way.

Reform of the SNCF

56% believe that the government should take account of the workers' objections and modify its reforms.

43% believe that the government should not make any concessions to the workers' demands.

Status of the "Cheminots"

There is, however, greater agreement among the French concerning the rights of railway workers.

69% believe that the special retirement conditions for cheminots should end for newly appointed staff, and the end of "a job for life" status - again for new appointments -  is supported by 64%. (37% and 29% respectively are strongly in favour of these changes in privileged status - a particularly high figure).

(Figures from a poll conducted Elabe for BFM TV. More details and stats here).

Very interesting Jardinier.

You’d put money on an agreement along the lines of your final paragraph, wouldn’t you?

On 06/04/2018 at 17:22, Gardian said:

You’d put money on an agreement along the lines of your final paragraph, wouldn’t you?

I can't think that there's any alternative in this day and age.

The SNCF strike which was due to run until the end of June may now be extended into July. Discussions are ongoing as the various unions are unable to agree on the best course of action. Ed. 

The latest seems to be that there will be a strike (maybe limited to a single union - CGT) on Friday 6 and Saturday 7 July just as the schools over here break up and the first lot of families head off for their holidays. Ed. 

Not that I've heard particularly. Now the SUD union have announced they will support the continuing action but the CFDT are not involved. It's likely that the problems will persist over the summer and then maybe ramp up again when the schools go back in September. But now a lot of people have found that by car-sharing with friends and colleagues it's only slightly more expensive than taking the train, and a lot less stress. The car park at my local station yesterday, when taxis were running normally, was only around 70 or 80% full at 8am so I'm sure that people are abandoning the SNCF due to these repeated problems and may decide it's not worth coming back. Ed. 

Strikes on railways often lead to traffic loss that never recovers. Engineering blockades do the same. Deep analysis of Oyster data during the last tube strikes proved this.

3 hours ago, Millsy said:

Strikes on railways often lead to traffic loss that never recovers. Engineering blockades do the same. Deep analysis of Oyster data during the last tube strikes proved this.

You wouldn't think so Millsy I've been using the Piccadilly Line since Tuesday and it's been rammed. I'll be glad to get home tomorrow. 

Sympathy. The deep level tubes are purgatory in this weather. I=On a linked subject interestingly I saw a story the other day that TfL is sitting on over £300m long term unused Oyster deposits and balances! 

On 01/07/2018 at 16:57, Millsy said:

Sympathy. The deep level tubes are purgatory in this weather. I=On a linked subject interestingly I saw a story the other day that TfL is sitting on over £300m long term unused Oyster deposits and balances! 

You'd have thought they'd have some term and condition over inactive cards to be able to free up some funds!

On the subject of strikes, we were recently in France for Mrs Jim's birthday - though, we changed our travel plans to go a day earlier as the SNCF were on strike and we were taking the train from Ashford to Bordeaux. 

Timetables for strike days are published at 17.00 before and we had no issues getting a train to Arcachon on one of the strike days - the TGV fare booked an hour before the train was cheaper than the TER rate!