Sign in to follow this  
kenw

Newbuild from Mitsubishi

It looks as though Mitsubishi thinks series production is the way forward in the ferry world – how many years after Visentini?

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/mitsubishi-heavy-industries-ship-ocean/product-32135-517108.html?token=a1a70886837da8886463f656615e18cab8d9a405#product-item_412599

This is Lavender, a 600pax ferry which was built for the Shin Nihonkai ferry service in the Sea of Japan. Interestingly, vehicle capacity is quoted as 150 trucks and 22 cars.

Check out the stateroom in the thumbnails – expect to pay about £350 for the 18–20hr crossing if that's your choice of accommodation. Including meals.

I suspect that this particular type and configuration is unlikely to win many orders outside Japan – or am I mistaken?

Where's the bit about series production? The Lavender and Azalea are bespoke ships which draw on the very idiosyncratic nature of Shin Nihonkai's operations which have evolved over several generations of ferries. Even if you could order one off the shelf , I don't know why anyone would want to.

SNF's sister company Hankyu Ferry had a pair of new ships built at Mitsubishi a couple of years earlier and they are a completely different design, evolved from Hankyu's own previous vessels -

https://www.nakashima.co.jp/eng/works/izumi_hibiki.html

They share a few interior design traits with the SNF pair but are otherwise entirely seperate despite also operating longish overnight crossings. The logic being that these ships are expensive enough to justify getting something tailor made for your operation.

Sorry, I lost track of one of the websites re Lavender. One of the Mitsubishi people was quoted as saying that they were now looking for further orders "based on this successful design". That was in a DeepL translation (generally better than Google Translate, although not yet integrated into web browser pages).

But maybe they meant that the success of the design and build project reinforced their ability to win more business with that formula.

Is it just the success of yard propaganda efforts, or are independent marine architects being squeezed out by the integrated D+B outfits? 

(Disclosure: when I took the turnkey D+B route with Millennium Diamond for the River Thames, the decision was based on cost, time and and simplified project management)

Interesting, thanks. I guess the most notable thing about the SNF ships is their hull design which might be a Mitsubishi design that they could look to exploit. It doesn't look like this would be a Visentini "what we make is what you get" sort of scenario though - at least I hope not!

The Motor Ship has an interesting article about them - 
http://www.motorship.com/news101/ships-and-shipyards/japanese-ro-pax-melds-experience-and-innovation 

That also makes reference to the Mitsubishi Air Lubrication System which to my untechnical eye looks to be a similar thing to Stena Teknik's Airmax concept ship. It states MALS has also been used on the new City Line ships (rivals to Hankyu Ferry) so is evidently something Mitsubishi are offering to shipowners. Their Shimonoseki yard also built the European Highway, Causeway and Ambassador and churn out seemingly most of the never-ending new ships for Japan's coastal ferry operators. 

Thanks, hhvferry, I suspect you're right and the design element for which Mitsubishi expects further orders is the hull, rather than the complete ship.

That would make sense, since once a "basic" hull configuration has been developed successfully it can be "shrunk, stretched or squeezed" to meet specific customer needs. Which is obviously much quicker and cheaper than starting from a blank sheet of paper – or should that be blank screen – each time.

• Like 1