Jump to content
Andy

Normandie Express - 2018 Season

Recommended Posts

Just four weeks to go now until the Normandie Express returns to service (and summer arrives?) - with sailings between Cherbourg and Portsmouth resuming on the 3rd May.

She will however be making a brief appearance in Portsmouth on the 18th & 19th April to conduct trials following works over the winter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/04/2018 at 07:46, Khaines said:

Send her over to Poole again...😁

Yes to that!

30 mins from Poole, we still miss the convenience of that 2 ish hour crossing for nipping across for shorter breaks, although for our trips to Provence, Alps etc. we still prefer to go overnight P'mouth - Caen.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/5/2018 at 20:10, Andy said:

Just four weeks to go now until the Normandie Express returns to service (and summer arrives?) - with sailings between Cherbourg and Portsmouth resuming on the 3rd May.

She will however be making a brief appearance in Portsmouth on the 18th & 19th April to conduct trials following works over the winter.

What works have been carried out to require trials at Portsmouth?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Normandie Express' is now due to depart Le Havre at 08:00 tomorrow morning (Wednesday), arriving in Portsmouth at 14:00. She is currently scheduled to stay in Portsmouth until Thursday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TonyMWeaver said:

'Normandie Express' is now due to depart Le Havre at 08:00 tomorrow morning (Wednesday), arriving in Portsmouth at 14:00. She is currently scheduled to stay in Portsmouth until Thursday.

Presumably before the dock workers go on strike and prevent her leaving. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Summer is here, NEX is back to work..🙂🙂🙂🙂

Has she been painted, she looks rather sparkling!

Edited by Khaines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Summer is here, NEX is back to work..🙂🙂🙂🙂

Has she been painted, she looks rather sparkling!

No signs of rust but then her season is short so maybe there’s no need to paint her every year 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

No signs of rust but then her season is short so maybe there’s no need to paint her every year 😉

Isn't most of her external cladding made of aluminium? Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Normandie Express' has departed Portsmouth earlier than scheduled and is now en route back across the English Channel to Cherbourg. (Image from 2017)

 

Normandie Express 6.jpg

Edited by TonyMWeaver
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Vomit bucket list on the Vomit comet 😉

I'm on her in a couple of weeks so we'll see. I've never had a problem but Cabin-girl and the Cabin-kids do tend to feel unwell onboard. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cabin-boy said:

I'm on her in a couple of weeks so we'll see. I've never had a problem but Cabin-girl and the Cabin-kids do tend to feel unwell onboard. Ed. 

May 4th for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I'm on her in a couple of weeks so we'll see. I've never had a problem but Cabin-girl and the Cabin-kids do tend to feel unwell onboard. Ed. 

Never had a problem with her myself, she is quite comfortable.  In flat calm sea she is very easy going, and even in a bit of swell she copes pretty well. Quite fond of her.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Isn't most of her external cladding made of aluminium? Ed

Both twin hulls are aluminium. It combines with oxygen making aluminium oxide which is particularly leak proof. 

In A level chemistry we mixed it with cryolite to melt it... Great fun.

It's a shame it's too ductile to make larger hulls out of, it's the 3rd most common element.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder when NEX will return from her extended excursion to the Equator on the BF fleet tracker - she must have been there for several months now! 😉

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Normandie Express' is alongside her berth in Cherbourg, ready to commence service for the summer season. She'll depart at 17:00 local time, arriving in Portsmouth at 19:00 this evening. The summer season for 'Normandie Express' lasts until September 11th 2018. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...