Sign in to follow this  
robbie

Pride of Le Havre / GNV Cristal

Just returned from Sicilly where I had the oppurtunity to sail on the GNV Cristal ex Pride of Le Havre. I have many happy memories of Pride of Le Havre. She had a fantastic interior, sadly I was very dissapoinetd to see her twenty years on as she is a shadow of her former self. Unfortunately my phone decided to stop working so have no internal pictures but all the carpet has been replaced by cheap laminate. The bar has gone and is now a childrooms play area. The only bar is the small snack bar that used to ne next to the club class lounge. The food was horrendous and massively overpriced. All in all a real shame. I wonder if amyone on here has pictures of the inerior of the old pride of Le Havre?

DSC_0006.JPG

• Sad 1

What's happened to the main bar upstairs (which I think P&O split in two at some stage?)  The ships were broadly as P&O left them (post-Doverisation), at least until a couple of years ago. The main work had been the addition of the horrific Sky lounges in the old shopping area and the removal of cabins from either side of the upper vehicle deck.

The food is almost always poor and expensive on these ships now sadly.

The main bar is no more. The aft of deck 9 (I think) is now is a huge children's area on starboard and a sleeping lounge (it was locked so not sure) on port side . The ship really lacked any atmosphere and the cabin i was in on deck 7 was really showing its age complete with cracked lino floor.

That's really sad. The bar was still being used when I was last on board in 2015 - and was broadly the same as it was at the end of her P&O days -

img_8038715_tn.jpg

img_8039716_tn.jpg

img_8042718_tn.jpg

img_8047719_tn.jpg

img_8041717_tn.jpg

img_8069721_tn.jpg

img_8068720_tn.jpg

That's how I remember it. Yep thats all gone sadly. Real shame, she used to be a nice ship.

Here's GNV's official video (from last year) of her sister - fortunately she still seems to keep the bar, which as a public space is definitely required on the longer route(s) she operates to Morocco. She also now has a mosque. 

Its strange that they have altered one vessel but not the other. Looks so much better as it was. It was still nice to travel on on old ex English Channel ship. I dont think there are too many vintage ships left in the Med now. I think the old Duchess Anne works the Dubrovnik-Bari route. Would be nice to see her.

7 minutes ago, robbie said:

Its strange that they have altered one vessel but not the other. Looks so much better as it was. It was still nice to travel on on old ex English Channel ship. I dont think there are too many vintage ships left in the Med now. I think the old Duchess Anne works the Dubrovnik-Bari route. Would be nice to see her.

Vintage, I like it... Atlas is the same age as Bretagne. Take a look at Moby's fleet, many of their vessels were built in the 1970''s... Including Moby Corse she who was Pont l' Abbé.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, robbie said:

I suppose they do fundamentally different things now - the Naples-Palermo route is a relatively short overnighter although there are quite a lot of daytime crossings in the summer. It also takes a reasonable amount of freight. The Sete-Barcelona-Tangier route is a 40 hour crossing with very heavy peak passenger traffic. On summer crossings I imagine she would fill the car deck (even the expanded ones). So there is probably more demand for general passenger spaces on this route. Plus it gives the onboard Moroccan passport official somewhere to set up shop - and somewhere for the queue to sit as they wait in line for his stamp.

It's almost a decade old now but here are some pictures of the Dubrovnik - http://hhvferry.com/blog/?p=1418.

• Like 1