Sign in to follow this  
Anna

Help needed!

Hi everyone!

We were planning on moving our pet fish to Spain with us and hence chose the ferry from Portsmouth to Santander on the 15th of May for our journey. Today we were absolutely devastated to learn that we apparently can't take them with us, as we are booked as foot passengers :( for some reason, they are only allowed (no papers needed and free of charge!) to travel on board of a car that's on the ferry. I don't understand why but we were wondering if anyone here is travelling that route on that day by car and would be so kind to take them? They would be in a closed plastic box with a little air bubbler. It would be wonderful if someone could help us out!

Thanks in advance,

Anna

Hi Anna,
Sorry to hear about your dilemma.
Do be careful about asking someone to carry something for you (I'm sure you knew that already).
As we left for France the other day we were asked by security at the departing port if all the contents of our  heavily laden car was ours, did we pack it all and has it been out of our sight since packing. You may inadvertently cause some bother for that passenger that tries to help.
Also, remember that BF may have security officials travelling on your trip and spy your unusual package if you carry it on your person.
Security on Ferries has been tightened, most is unseen.

Good luck

Stu

I think in the case of a foot passenger travelling with live fish as part of a move to France, then could you not cite reasonable adjustment? Looking at the info on taking pets it only seems to apply to cats and dogs.  Because you are a foot passenger and travelling to Spain, I assume you will be in a cabin so you will put the fish in your cabin during travel, and they would be perfectly safe there.  There was a discussion many moons ago about why BF refuse to take rabbits in particular due to superstitions, but would guess quite a few people carry other types of animals, not just dogs and cats.  Your problem is you are a footie therefore you would not be able to leave anything in a car.  Fish in a sealed container in a cabin should not really be a problem I would have thought, cannot a special arrangement be made, pretty sure something like reasonable adjustment could be done.   If you do not have a cabin and you are taking something like mice and place a cage on the tables or anywhere in the public areas, other passengers might take issue due to fear or hygiene issues, but fish in a cabin, I cannot see the problem.

Edited by Khaines
Typo

It's a bit like the couple who were apparently relocating to Spain a couple of years ago but couldn't book a pet friendly cabin as foot passengers so was asking if someone would drive them aboard. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend emailing customer services. I'm not sure whether traveling as a foot passenger with the fish would be allowed. However passing it to another passenger definitely isn't. It's certainly worth an ask.

7 minutes ago, scarlton said:

I'd recommend emailing customer services

Either that or send a Direct Message on twitter fully explaining the circumstances. The team at Brittany ferries are incredibly helpful and have a far better attitude to solving problems than any other transport provider I know.

I notice from recent tweets that in addition to helping a mother and daughter  return to the UK having had a passport stolen they also sent some flowers to them.