Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SpecialK

Grumps corner

Recommended Posts

You know how it is at the supermarket check out. The person in front of you has a trolley full of stuff but only realises when everything has gone through the till that they have to pay - and their credit card is at the bottom of the last possible bag. They have now started crossing the channel. Waiting to check in at Ouistreham the other day, quiet crossing, just 2 lines with no more than 9 cars altogether in front of us and 3 of them had to rummage in the car boot for the paperwork. Did they do it whilst they were waiting? No chance. They wait until they get to the booth before the realisation dawns that they need it. The only saving grace was that once onboard, none of them were in front of us in our row. No doubt they were last to the car deck once we had docked.

What irritates others on crossings, taking it for granted that French school groups will be near the top of many peoples lists?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My top three grievances are being turfed out of the cabin half an hour before arrival, tannoy announcements that can't be heard in the cabin and have ended by the time I get the door open to listen and people not bothering to report obvious maintenance issues in the cabin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cars being crammed together to the extent that it is difficult to get out without denting the bodywork. My Wife is on notice to bale out as we approach our parking slot to give me a chance of getting out of the vehicle as well.

Wightlink usually manage to stagger adjacent rows to allow doors to be opened but BF have still to catch on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

. My Wife is on notice to bale out as we approach our parking slot to give me a chance of getting out of the vehicle as well.

 

I like that idea, last crossing ended up with me getting grease on my trousers as the passenger gap was too small

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

French school groups - reminds me of when I travelled on Barfleur when she was at Dover.  Several large groups of kids, some French some English.  French kids were just noisy, it was the English kids mucking about, trying to climb into the lifeboats.  I told my companion guess which are French kids and which are the English...😄. Only kids on my list of annoyances is if I am trying to doze somewhere and someone sits with a noisy toddlers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, David Williams said:

I like that idea, last crossing ended up with me getting grease on my trousers as the passenger gap was too small

I’m sure it’s Northlink that offer a car parking service for customers seems a good idea if a bit impractical for a busy crossing, I’m certainly not looking forward to my crossing on Bretagne in the summer I’m sure there won’t be as much room as there was on my last crossing.

 

C4434C24-17AC-4342-A68D-37F6411D390A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only thing which annoys me are those impatient to get on board and those who congest public areas upto an hour before arrival as if there's some kudos in standing at the front of a queue at a locked car deck access door. The only tannoy announcement i'm interested in is the seven short and one long blast variety.

I've not been turfed out of a cabin that often and the only parking issue I've had is when the guy in front couldn't tell the time. I've never had an issue getting in or out of any vehicle i've travelled in which includes Bretagne's enigmatic deck 5 and I'm the size of an outside toilet.

Also, why do people take so much gear to their cabin with them? I'm not including those families with their children, that's to be expected but the couples or those travelling alone lugging huge suitcases suggesting that they're onboard for a week.

Edited by jonno
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I’m sure it’s Northlink that offer a car parking service for customers seems a good idea if a bit impractical for a busy crossing, I’m certainly not looking forward to my crossing on Bretagne in the summer I’m sure there won’t be as much room as there was on my last crossing.

 

C4434C24-17AC-4342-A68D-37F6411D390A.jpeg

We had a similar experience on MSM on the Saturday overnight before Easter.  We were parked deck 5, with no mezzanine and even so it was only full about half way back! Certainly quite a contrast from high summer!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jonno said:

Also, why do people take so much gear to their cabin with them? I'm not including those families with their children, that's to be expected but the couples or those travelling alone lugging huge suitcases suggesting that they're onboard for a week.

As a footie, if I do overnights, I must pack and unpack my holdall about 10 times before I leave home to downsize, and do a “do you really need to take that” job.  I used to take everything but the kitchen sink but as I have to lug that lot (as a footie) on port buses, up ramps, stairs, let alone carry it around if I am not been driven anywhere.  Adding any shopping I buy, time has taught me a few lessons. 

I use the towels and toiletries provided in the cabin for one, my toiletry bag contains travel sized deodorant, flannel amd spare undies, even swapped the shower cap for a hairband.  I don’t take boxes of medication, I cut the required dosage from the blister packs and put them in a small pill box.  One hairbrush not three, magazines and crossword books have been ditched, quite a few little changes really, so manage to fit everything now in a bag half the size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 18:46, SpecialK said:

You know how it is at the supermarket check out. The person in front of you has a trolley full of stuff but only realises when everything has gone through the till that they have to pay - and their credit card is at the bottom of the last possible bag. They have now started crossing the channel. Waiting to check in at Ouistreham the other day, quiet crossing, just 2 lines with no more than 9 cars altogether in front of us and 3 of them had to rummage in the car boot for the paperwork. Did they do it whilst they were waiting? No chance. They wait until they get to the booth before the realisation dawns that they need it. The only saving grace was that once onboard, none of them were in front of us in our row. No doubt they were last to the car deck once we had docked.

What irritates others on crossings, taking it for granted that French school groups will be near the top of many peoples lists?

Once had a jolly laugh waiting in the checkin queue at Plymouth watching a couple rearrange everything countless times in and out of every door on their car.

He moves bag to rear door, she gets out after he settles into seat and moves said bag to another door. Jump back in car, move forward, do the rearrangement all over again. Wife and I had the giggles watching it all. We started to count the baggage moves, doors open fiasco.

 I should talk. Every trip seems to be

 "give me your passport".

"I put it up there"

"No you didn't,I cant find it"

And so it goes on!

Bye

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, straightfeed said:

Once had a jolly laugh waiting in the checkin queue at Plymouth watching a couple rearrange everything countless times in and out of every door on their car.

He moves bag to rear door, she gets out after he settles into seat and moves said bag to another door. Jump back in car, move forward, do the rearrangement all over again. Wife and I had the giggles watching it all. We started to count the baggage moves, doors open fiasco.

 I should talk. Every trip seems to be

 "give me your passport".

"I put it up there"

"No you didn't,I cant find it"

And so it goes on!

Bye

That's just every single married couple isn't it?!

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/04/2018 at 13:15, neilcvx said:

The bus at Roscoff is amazing it has a steering wheel at each end!!!

Probably a conversion from a New York fire tender.

Some airports (Washington Dulles and Montreal Mirabel come to mind) have buses that take you out to the aircraft and then the whole body lifts until you have a level walk into the aircraft. Scope for development here - although you would probably need an access into the ferry on a lower deck, which all cruise ships have anyway.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The almost obligatory 'magical' acts included in the evening entertainment schedules!  Never enjoyed one yet.  More live music would be better appreciated

Is there ever any live entertainment on the Caen ships, or have I just missed out on particular sailings?

Last Saturday 21st, outbound on Bretagne there was a very good singer, Roz Turner - hope they book her again.  Returning last night (26th), the magician was dire as usual and the duo 'reasonable'.  I felt for the children's entertainer - with a audience of about six youngsters he tried so hard!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The length of time from docking to get on the road at Portsmouth .  Never have seen all the Immigration booths open and there nearly always additional staff just standing around doing very little. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My pet hate is the Breton wake-up music in the cabins, which I find really irritating, especially first thing in the morning. On my last Pont Aven trip, I managed to turn it off, but it came back on a couple of minutes later. Infuriating! An announcement to say that we are an hour from docking, and that breakfast is being served, is all that's needed IMO.

Also I never want to encounter the ramp to & from Deck 1 on Cap Finistere again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never beeen down to Deck 1 but 3 times have been down to Deck 2 and yes the ramp is steep.  Must have the wrong class of vehicle!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malc said:

Never beeen down to Deck 1 but 3 times have been down to Deck 2 and yes the ramp is steep.  Must have the wrong class of vehicle!

Always deck 3 for me. 

Regarding Cap' I've always wondered why the upper Planets Bar on deck 8 couldn't have been the á la carte with the current Restaurant Du Port altered to be a Spanish themed tapas bar on one side and possibly another shop similar to Bretagne's boutique or perfumery on the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/04/2018 at 21:41, ChrisG said:

The length of time from docking to get on the road at Portsmouth .  Never have seen all the Immigration booths open and there nearly always additional staff just standing around doing very little. 

Getting into Portsmouth last night 20 minutes ahead of schedule (at 6.40) might seem great but not when you then find yourself behind a full complement of passengers coming off Bretagne. We didn't get out of the port until 7.20! Only 3 booths open out of 5. What I don't understand is why they don't send those officers dealing with foot passengers over to open other booths once they have finished processing those off the buses. It just makes the whole experience much less satisfying. 👎

Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...