Sign in to follow this  
Gardian

France vs UK Fuel Prices

Having just returned from a visit to the UK, I was surprised at how the price differential had narrowed since our last trip.

Its impossible to be precise, because prices are going up almost daily and the obviously vary according to where you buy and what exchange rate you use, but my rough take is:

• Diesel: Fr £1.32 (€1.45), UK £1.30
  • Petrol (95): Fr £1.42 (€1.56), UK £1.24

So, for petrol vehicles its still cheaper in the UK, but the gap has narrowed (mainly due to the exchange rate).  For diesel, there’s virtually nothing in it (unless of course your first opportunity to re-fuel is on the motorway, where you can add at least 10p / litre).

None of the above is ‘scientific’, so there’s no need to point out that fuel can be bought here or there for 2 cents cheaper!  Merely intended as a rough guide.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for that, we are going the other way on Sunday for a few days in the Loire Valley, gateax in chateaux. We have a petrol car so I will fill up before we depart, it's just 50 miles down to Portsmouth so may not need to fill up while we are over there.

We fill up before we get on the ferry on both sides , not like the good old days when we left Plymouth with a thimble of diesel in the tank .

15 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

I thought that the advice from BF was that you should not arrive at the port with a full tank. Or has it changed?

“Advice “ never read that one , I would probably reply with a Gallic shrug of the shoulders.

The principle was that if you board with a brim full tank of fuel then in the event of rough weather there could potentially be some spillage. There used to be reminders about this when you booked but apparently not now. Maybe it was more applicable when they had the smaller ferries.

Edited by cvabishop