sandra2jeremy@w

Immigrants at Ouistreham

3 hours ago, alleeganger10 said:

IMHO

its best to “go see for yourself”. Like the reporter did,? Albeit he was reporting on a much more important event, the D day celebrations, than  spread 3rd hand opinion  and from the comfort of wherever you happen to live, As Neil has done,  Such things are obviously not good for  BF, Ouistreham, Caen France  or Europe or even the U.K.

I’m not sure the person posting did not have agenda, otherwise why post?

I will state again our experience is, and we are on our 6/7th trip this year, ( I lose count) the “Immigrants” pose no danger.

It’s not BF fault they are there, nor is it the Ouistreham’s save for the fact that it’s elus, 30 years ago, along with the CCI of Caen had the vision to build a Gare  Maritime and help finance the boats that use it. Improving tourism and job prospects in this area beyond imagination.

Sorry but your views represent a cross between simplistic and burying your head in the sand..That mentality means that if you get people, by whatever means, to stop talking about it, all will be well in that part of the world and the economic cycle will wend its merry way towards Nirvana..

However, for many other people it will be a worrying point. Its certainly enough to stop me using Ouisterham. They are intimidating, there is no doubt about that, even though they are only interested in the trucks. Social media, which is where its at these days, are full of these stories...how you gonna stop them?. Yes the Ouisterham area will suffer economically but it will be because of inertia by the authorities, not people like Neil sharing a legitimate and current news item.

I think you owe Neil an apology

Edited by Paully
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There are many factors that make me decide where and how I travel and the issue at Ouistreham is one of them , I gather information from a lot of sources and weigh up how trustworthy and reliable it is , social media and sites like Tripadvisor are one of the best ways to get peoples views of the current situation as it’s usually Dover/Calais that get the mainstream media coverage, I make no apologies for sharing them and will do again unless the forum rules change as I think it’s an important subject that needs to be discussed, I’m highly flattered that people value my opinion that much and think it’s so influential unless of course I’m mistaken and that’s not the case , either way I value everybody’s opinion on the subject and respect that.

• Like 2

When we arrived in Ouistreham for the ferry last month, we drove to the Place du Marche, and walked to Avenue de la Mer, which has lots of shops and cafes. We had a drink at Le Havane cafe. This area is away from the ferry port and a good spot to aim for if you have free time to spend in Ouistreham before checking in for the ferry. I'm guessing that the chap reporting on Twitter was at the Place de Gaulle which is on the main route to the ferry port and therefore more likely to attract migrants.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, wortley said:

Do some people get scared more easily than I do ? 

Yes.  But I think we have to be sensible when on holiday.  If you don't feel comfortable with a situation then go elsewhere.  We have a motorhome and sometimes we park up at a nice spot and not in a campsite, but occasionally the nice spot isn't so nice so we move on because we don't feel comfortable.  Similarly with some campsites.  Occasionally when people are on holiday they forget some of the basic rules of staying safe and get caught out.

• Like 6

We nearly always use Roscoff these days, I think it helps being out on a limb and nowhere for migrants to hide or live and the ferries are too well policed.

• Like 1

I have been travelling through Ouistreham regulaly over past  few years and have noticed an increase in the numbers congregating on the edge of town in the  last few months.  I noticed last week that some of the areas where they gather have now been fenced off  but they are still there on  the perimeter. As has been said, lorries rather than cars are more at risk but  I find large groups of men   on the streets  (there are no women or children) intimidating,  wherever they are from. I did not see them on the beach but I know the locals are worried about the impact on tourism. I live not far from Portsmouth and in the past local teenagers have often gone  over for day trips but are avoiding it now as they are worried now about being in the town in the evening.  If there is a perceived problem it will affect tourism regardless of whether the tourists are actually safe or not,  which is a shame, as Ouistreham is such aa lovely town which is well worth a stop en route to other areas of France.

https://actu.fr/normandie/ouistreham_14488/migrants-ouistreham-ville-serait-boudee-par-touristes-commerces-se-disent-menaces_16777526.html

• Like 1

Most of them try to get onto the trucks because they know if they get onto the ferry.when docking in the uk there is very little chance of getting caught because not all trucks get checked.

We had a short holiday in Ouestriham last year, the immagrant problem really spoilt our few days. Firstly whilst waiting at bus stop we suddenly had a group of young men surrounding us and trying to draw a conversation with us, the following day my partner found that her debit card had been scanned and £30x 3 taken from her account. On returning from our bus journey we found several looking inside our car and ran off when we shouted at them. Going out at night was a ‘no go’, and during the night we’re kept awake by spotlights being used to search the trees leading up to ferry terminal. There were other small incidents and on return to UK contacted Brittany Ferries requesting that passengers heading to France via Caen should be made aware of the situation. The reply from Brittany Ferries was that the situation wasn’t serious enough to worry passengers and that the figures given to us by the local police were far too high. 

3 hours ago, Beastly said:

Firstly whilst waiting at bus stop we suddenly had a group of young men surrounding us and trying to draw a conversation with us, the following day my partner found that her debit card had been scanned and £30x 3 taken

Personally I think the card scanning is down to professionals targeting holidaymakers, you'll get that on the pier at Brighton... the groups of men in Ouistreham just have the clothes on their backs and sleep under trees. 

It's interesting that there are zero issues at Le Havre whilst many of those who are finding their way to Cherbourg are targeting the Irish ships, I wonder whether I.F and Stena may consider switching berths?

You can get your card skimmed anywhere.  You can buy special wallets that prevent people skimming , someone could just be stood behind you at a petrol station, coffee shop, supermarket, anywhere.  I had my entire purse stolen back in July with all my cards in it.  I have had a rather stressful couple of months, my mother had had several strokes, an aunt died and another aunt is having a serious operation.  Plus a lot of health problems due to the hot weather.  All thr stress has made me rather forgetful and I accidentally left my purse on top of thr ice machine in Subway, and only realised it was gone an hour later when I went to use an ATM.   The cards were used almost instantaneously by the person who took them, as in stopping my cards, the card companies told me where they had been used, and they were used via contactless, before being declined in the shops.  Bloke bought booze and scratchcards!  Luckily the card companies have refunded me, and the police are dealing with it, but just shows how easy it is for someone to help themselves to someone’s money.

Luckily for me this happened close to home on a Sunday, and I had no way of getting any money until Monday morning, but that could have happened in France and I could have lost a lot more.  I might buy one of those metal anti skimming card cases when I next go over to be on the safe side.       

Edited by Khaines

I haven’t noticed any issues at Roscoff,Le Havre or StMalo when I’ve been to those ports , I certainly would be choosing one of them for a short break ahead of Ouistreham, cars scamming is well know amongst Romanian immigrants in the UK it’s a well know easy way to make money the machines to do it can be picked up for a few pounds on the web.

4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

scamming is well know amongst Romanian immigrants in the UK

comentariile nechibzuite

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, merc said:

comentariile nechibzuite

Indeed... and on that note, before this all descends downhill, this thread is closed.

• Like 2