Jim

Fleet Renewal - Second E-Flexer Confirmed

2 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

You would have to think Le Havre is most likely to be reduced in the summer anyway.

I often use the overnight Portsmouth - Le Havre route and it is quite busy with both freight and passengers and is difficult to reduce from one sailing a day -apart from when the BDS rolls in.

Edited by David Williams

Won’t be an easy decision in the Summer with Roscoff being popular then out of season not so much of an issue as Plymouth residents know.

43 minutes ago, jonno said:

The E-Flexers are two years after that in 2021.

They have been a bit careful re timing, the first will be delivered at the end of 2020 in time for the 2021 season, I suspect that the second is really aimed at the 2022 season,

37 minutes ago, Gareth said:

Absolutely Jonno.  In the interim period, barring another charter, BF do not have any other option but to use Etretat to replace BDS I agree.  And even then there will be a gap between BDS going and Honfleur arriving.  Something will have to close down or run at reduced frequency in the interim.

Well the logical solution is to move Barfleur onto a Poole to Spain run during the week (if she can fit in two return crossings Sunday late evening to Saturday early morning) and then run her across to Poole twice over the weekend as usual. NEX can then do a triangular rotation Portsmouth-Cherbourg-Poole-Cherbourg-Portsmouth per day to take the extra traffic and any freight from Poole to France can be diverted to one of the 4 other French ports in the interim. Ed

22 minutes ago, David Williams said:

and that is why I think that they will use a ship from a French route in the mean time - Spain is increasing, France is static !

I also note that Normandie seems to be owned by Senecal which is a Calvados societie - I am not so sure that they would want to help Le Havre !

David SENECAL, SOMACAL, SENAMANCHE, & SOMACOT no longer exist, all of the Normandy ships including Cotentin have been owned by the singular SOMANOR since 2015. SABEMEN, the owners of Bretagne have gone too, she's now under the same SPC as Pont Aven, SOMABRET.

The French routes may look static but the routes have optimised tonnage on them. Which French route would you take a vessel from for Spain? You're certainly not about to remove an 84 truck capacity ship away from the English Channel's second busiest freight crossing.

No ship owned under any of the semi public companies will be taken from the French route they have been funded for, it flies in the face of their economic strategic objectives. BAI don't have the authority to play musical routes with the tonnage, they are required to provide services of certain frequency from specific ports.

It's been that way since BAI nearly folded in 1982.

If the SPC say Normandie is heading to Le Havre when their new investment Honfleur sails over the horizon in 12 months, then she's going to Le Havre.

This is where it gets interesting...

BAI own Normandie Express, the Etretat charter is also their exclusive investment. The SOMANOR SPC has no say in how they are used. It's my guess that Etretat will move to the Spanish route from April and the INCAT will fill in at Le Havre until Normandie relocates.

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

That's the problem with websites, too many take the info at face value. They can't even get the facts about the ships and charters correct or know which vessel has the most lane metres.

They  believe to expand the Spanish services BF are going to reduce 3557 beds to less than 2000 and reduce lane metres from 9172 to 6200. Yep, that's a plan...

I think I'll let Antoine get to know my publisher, he likes fiction too.

Not very good at proof reading either, one section says  

——————

As aboard the most-recent ferries of the fleet, these two E-Flexer ferries will pay a particular attention to passengers travelling with their best and to disabled passengers.

——————

I am not sure if the word should be pet or beast !

36 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Not very good at proof reading either, one section says  

——————

As aboard the most-recent ferries of the fleet, these two E-Flexer ferries will pay a particular attention to passengers travelling with their best and to disabled passengers.

——————

I am not sure if the word should be pet or beast !

It's just a bad translation from the original French version:

https://transportsmarinsbretons.jimdo.com/brittany-ferries-commande-un-second-navire-eflexer-lignes-espagne-angleterre

But even though it should be 'pet' maybe they were trying for 'best friend'. 

In France the Sherlock Holmes story of 'The Hound of the Baskervilles' is simply 'Le Chien des Baskerville'. Presumably Google translate thinks it's some sort of cuddly poodle! 😀 

Ed

In a long article in Le Marin, Jean-Marc Roué says they will replace the Baie de Seine, and then the Cap Finisterre. Later, he says that the Cap may be deployed between Ireland and Spain if the route builds traffic sufficiently.

37 minutes ago, colin said:

In a long article in Le Marin, Jean-Marc Roué says they will replace the Baie de Seine, and then the Cap Finisterre. Later, he says that the Cap may be deployed between Ireland and Spain if the route builds traffic sufficiently.

No word on which vessel replaces BDS during the two year wait for the E-Flexer?

I'm half expecting a couple more announcements in the not too distant future, there are loose ends. At present BDS returns to DFDS during April 2019. Pelican returns to Sogestran during February 2019 and Etretat's five year charter ends in the first quarter of 2019 too... 

At present we have a possible 2019 scenario of no Spanish Con-Ro connection from Poole, no RoPax connection to Le Havre and a substantial drop in the conventional Spanish capacity. 

That's BAI's exclusive income stream halved, six vessels down to three whilst the need to generate the sub charter fees for the remaining five ships controlled by SOMABRET and SOMANOR continues. Not to mention seeing two ships companies out of work.

I can't envisage Cap' Finistere replacing Connemara as that would signify a drop in freight capacity plus she's SECA compliant which would be a waste on the Southern Irish route.

I'm no doubt in a minority but I will be sad to see Cap Finistere go, if indeed she does, almost as much as Bretagne. It does seem a shame as of course she had 'scrubbers' fitted not too long ago. But at the same time it will be exciting to see two brand new ships delivered purely for the Spanish routes, I just hope that their interiors are different to the Harwich-Hook of Holland ships, i.e. less akin to a service-station.

• Like 1

Galicia and Salamanca will be the names of Brittany Ferries new ships arriving in 2021 and 2022 respectively.  The names were chosen following a competition among Brittany Ferries’ staff and follow confirmation of the ships’ charter last month.

To be based in Portsmouth, both ships will serve long-haul routes to Spain where passenger traffic has grown by 80 percent in the last ten years. They represent the second and third new vessels to be delivered post-Brexit, after the arrival of Honfleur which is scheduled for 2019 and will serve Portsmouth-Caen.

“I’m delighted that we have chosen these beautiful names, which celebrate two fabulous destinations in Spain served by Brittany Ferries,” said Christophe Mathieu Brittany Ferries chief executive. “The winners can be proud to have suggested names that will become part of the company’s history and we look forward to welcoming Galicia and Salamanca to the fleet.”

Around 300 members of staff took part in the competition in May. Suggestions were made by those working on board and on shore, as well as in the four geographical locations served by the company: France, UK, Spain and Ireland. The winners are Christophe Scherr a barman aboard Brittany Ferries Normandie and Pierre-Yves Prigent, from the IT team in Roscoff, France. Each wins a return sailing on the first commercial crossing for the ship they named.

Galicia and Salamanca represent the next step in a fleet renewal and an investment programme worth around €450m for Brittany Ferries. Like Honfleur, both ships will be French flagged and will be crewed by French seafarers upon arrival in 2021 and 2022.

The names chosen reflect Brittany Ferries drive to reveal more of the beautiful destinations it serves. Galicia is popular with visitors to Spain's northern coast, nicknamed Green Spain. It is an autonomous region located in the north-west and shares a border with Portugal to the south. Galicia shelters a multitude of fine sandy beaches, hidden coves in the cliffs but also hilly mountain ranges. It is especially known for its emblematic city of Santiago de Compostela.

Salamanca is located in the south west of Castilla y León. It is a town steeped in culture and history, and serves as a gateway to Portugal and the south of the Iberian peninsula where many Brittany Ferries customers choose to holiday.

• Like 2

Really good way to name the ships and shows BF aren’t afraid to buck tradition, the nicknames are endless 😉

Lovely names, well done to BF. Though 'Cantabria' and 'Pays Basque' would have been equally nice ;) 

• Like 2