Jim

Fleet Renewal - Second E-Flexer Confirmed

15 minutes ago, penguin said:

Based on connemara's break with tradition - should we expect Spanish names, if they do get placed on those routes

We already have, Cap Finisterre.

3 hours ago, georgem7 said:

It also a possibility that this new vessel may replace the Cap Finistère, besides they have also mentioned her for replacement. They may be waiting to see how Honfleur turns out and then order a PA replacement at that point. Otherwise, we will be seeing a decrease in capacity. Further to this, the article talks about Portsmouth, which to me again suggests a CF replacement. 

Cap Finistere is presumably quite an expensive ship to run, so as much as I like this vessel, I can see the logic in replacing her with one of these new vessels (though who would buy her is an interesting question). However if this were to happen, presumably St Malo would stay as it is, with Bretagne?

41 minutes ago, Ryan_H said:

Cap Finistere is presumably quite an expensive ship to run, so as much as I like this vessel, I can see the logic in replacing her with one of these new vessels (though who would buy her is an interesting question). However if this were to happen, presumably St Malo would stay as it is, with Bretagne?

I can't see Bretagne staying once new vessels arrive. 

6 hours ago, georgem7 said:

It also a possibility that this new vessel may replace the Cap Finistère, besides they have also mentioned her for replacement. They may be waiting to see how Honfleur turns out and then order a PA replacement at that point. Otherwise, we will be seeing a decrease in capacity. Further to this, the article talks about Portsmouth, which to me again suggests a CF replacement. 

I can't see any of the E-Flexers replacing BF owned tonnage, they are replacing Baie de Seine and Pelican and they need both the Cap's and PA's freight height and lane metres for Spain.

Replacing Pont Aven on her current schedule with an E-Flexer is a non starter as they are too long for Cork.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Solo said:

2 hours ago, penguin said:

ha, you can tell it's a Friday :P

I don't get it.... Surely the Spanish (Galego) is Cabo Fisterra?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, jonno said:

I can't see any of the E-Flexers replacing BF owned tonnage, they are replacing Baie de Seine and Pelican and they need both the Cap's and PA's freight height and lane metres for Spain.

Replacing Pont Aven on her current schedule with an E-Flexer is a non starter as they are too long for Cork.

Is Cork not adaptable bearing in mind the size of the cruise ships that visit, I thought Cap would be up for sale to help pay for the new ships, one thing is sure BF always spring surprises on us .

42 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Is Cork not adaptable bearing in mind the size of the cruise ships that visit, I thought Cap would be up for sale to help pay for the new ships, one thing is sure BF always spring surprises on us .

From pictures I've seen the cruise ships moor on the Cobh side of the harbour, not at the ferry terminal.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Bassman said:

I don't get it.... Surely the Spanish (Galego) is Cabo Fisterra?

The nearby village is certainly Fisterra but they seem to use Finisterre for the whole area.  I've been looking closely as hoping to visit the area next month.

38 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

The cruise ships don't moor in the same area they're across the other side of the harbour.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Danish Ferry Person said:

So now there will be 2 new E-Flexers, what will the fleet look like in terms of vessel allocations to routes? 

BF routes can broadly be divided into 2:

Those they operate with the intention of making a profit:

Portsmouth to Caen: Honfleur and MSM (10 sailings a week each way per ship)

Portsmouth(/maybe Plymouth) to Bilbao/Santander: 2x eFlexer (3 sailings a week each way per ship like CF)

Routes they operate to prevent other operators getting a foothold:

1 ship per route - details tbc

With 3 ships arriving and BDS and Pelican going, it could be that Etretat and Connemara leave too, with 1 less ship but more lane metres overall

1 hour ago, Danish Ferry Person said:

So now there will be 2 new E-Flexers, what will the fleet look like in terms of vessel allocations to routes? 

As of June 2019...                                                                                            As of the summer of 2022.

Plymouth-Roscoff, Armorique.                                                                      Armorique

Poole-Cherbourg, Barfleur.                                                                             Barfleur.

Portsmouth-Ouistreham, Honfleur & Mont St Michel.                               Honfleur, Monty.

Portsmouth-Le Havre, Normandie.                                                               Normandie.

Portsmouth-St Malo, Bretagne.                                                                     Bretagne.

Portsmouth-Spain, Pont Aven, Cap' Finistere, Etretat.                               Pont Aven, Cap' Finistere, E-F.I, E-F.II.

I think BF have more in the pipeline as Bretagne will need replacing plus I have a feeling that Connemara will have a stablemate... Etretat?

I would be very surprised if Pont doesn’t go to St Malo year round and Bretagne leaves, that would cause issues at Cork but BF have time to look at that.

20 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

Had it been confirmed Pelican will leave?

She's chartered at the moment until 2019 but I think it will be extended again until 2021. Just one E-flexer will double the lane metres available on both Pelican and BDS.. The 2nd ship will future proof the UK-Spanish link giving BF the scope to replace the Cap' at a time which suits them rather than be governed by the market. Pont Aven is a little harder as she's the flagship passenger carrier holding twice as many berths as anything else.

BF could of course opt for another E-Flexer with less vehicle space in order to increase pax accommodation which would allow them to relocate the Pont to St Malo, keeping the Cap' in order for her to cover Plymouth- Roscoff-Cork.

Being able to bare boat charter these vessels from Stena and having full control of the interior spaces gives BF a huge amount of power in their pocket. they will be BF ships in every respect for a fraction of the €400m two of them would cost.

Edited by jonno

1 hour ago, jonno said:

As of June 2019...                                                                                            As of the summer of 2022.

Plymouth-Roscoff, Armorique.                                                                      Armorique

Poole-Cherbourg, Barfleur.                                                                             Barfleur.

Portsmouth-Ouistreham, Honfleur & Mont St Michel.                               Honfleur, Monty.

Portsmouth-Le Havre, Normandie.                                                               Normandie.

Portsmouth-St Malo, Bretagne.                                                                     Bretagne.

Portsmouth-Spain, Pont Aven, Cap' Finistere, Etretat.                               Pont Aven, Cap' Finistere, E-F.I, E-F.II.

I think BF have more in the pipeline as Bretagne will need replacing plus I have a feeling that Connemara will have a stablemate... Etretat?

I think it's inevitable that 'Bretagne' will go, my guess is that 'Pont-Aven' will going to St Malo with the E-Flexers replacing 'Pont-Aven' and 'Baie de Seine'. 'Normandie' to Le Havre, ''Honfleur' and 'Mont St Michel' in Ouistreham' 'Barfleur', 'Armorique', and 'Cap Finistere' staying as they are. Or, 'the 2 E-Flexers alongside 'Cap Finistere' with 'Normandie' and Etretat' staying in Le Havre.

Edited by TonyMWeaver

This week as I was thinking about my holiday.   I decided to go to Portugal on my motorbike .  And as I been to Portugal 2 years ago.  It was my ambition to go back there again.   But as I had decided as was going to do Portugal again.   I am going in mid September to October.   I wanted to try the Baie de Seine to go to Spain.   But I couldn't believed the booking on the Enconomie was fully booked even though it was late in the year.   And as for a motorcycle and rider we don't take up a load of room.  After looking on the website I decided what dates to take.  So I am now booked up to travel on the Cap to Santander and I will return on the Pont Aven.   I am traveling from Portsmouth to Spain.   For a very long time the routes from Portsmouth to Spain there has been a demand.   And even though I would like to sample all the ferries and compear them.   Its good news Brittany has taken on the charter of the Stena line ferries.   As  Brittany ferries needed to do something about the demand from Portsmouth to Spain.  I had used the Pont Aven from Portsmouth to Santander.  And I came back on the Cap Finistare.  By judging out of the 2.   The rather liked the cabin on the Cap Finistare then the Pont.   But I did enjoy traveling on the Pont Aven to Spain.

30 minutes ago, Ian Walker said:

I wanted to try the Baie de Seine to go to Spain.   But I couldn't believed the booking on the Enconomie was fully booked even though it was late in the year.  

Sometimes it not because a ship is "fully booked", it just that BF only allocate a certain number of cabins for motorcyclists or foot passengers.

Pax with cars generate more money for the company than a motorcyclist, so they get first dibs on their booking engine. Hence why, for example, a motorcyclist will get the message "sailing full" even when it's not!

10 hours ago, Solo said:

Which is Brittany, France not Spain!

Duplicate

Edited by canberra97
duplicate

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

Can’t see BF having seven ships sailing to Spain.

Seven ships, in a best case scenario it would be a maximum of six BDS goes next year at the moment so too does Pelican that just leaves the Pont Aven, Cap' Finistere and Etretat after she presumably moves to the route when Normandie relocates in June next year.

That's three ships, one less than what they have now and at the moment it will remain that way for two years. It's why I think they may renew the charter of Pelican for a further two years. BF aren't losing any berth space as Etretat carries an equal number of pax as BDS.

So hopefully four ships will remain.

E-Flexer arrives, they drop Pelican... Still four ships,  1000 extra beds and an extra 1500 lane metres.

E-Flexer 2 arrives, they drop Etretat... Still four ships, 650 extra beds and an extra 850 lane metres.

The crucial thing is the uplift is equal to another ship, giving them the capacity of five without the logistical nightmare of slotting another into the timetable. 

Is Honfleur expected to become the new flagship on her arrival? Or could it be that the e flexers themselves become flagships as p & o have done with Pride of Hull/Rotterdam - I believe they still are both technically the flagships?

I think that it's highly likely (sadly) that Bretagne will move on upon the arrival of the new boats. I wonder too if Etretat may be retained for Spain services which in turn could release Pa to St. Malo. From the press release it sounds like both new boats would be Portsmouth based so I suppose the Cap could end up with the Plymouth rotations?

Still seems like there's another piece in this jigsaw to come to me. The press release said 5 year modernisation so do we take it that there's another one still to follow in 2023/24?