Sign in to follow this  
Gunwharf

24hr return special deals

morning.

thinking of doing a 24hr return crossing to St Malo. I.e. Arrive and return same day. Do bf still offer the discount for such a trip and if so how do you claim as couldn't see online

Monday overnight from Pompey will give you all day on the Tuesday as she returns overnight to the UK.

• Like 1

Thanks for the advice. Realise I won't get much time ashore but keen to take a last trip on the Bretagne. Due to family and work commitments unlikely to get another chance for a few years and I'm not sure how long the old girl has left!

When I was a kid growing up In the witterings I used to see her everyday from my childhood home. Would hate to miss giving her a send off.

Layover time usually gives plenty of time for a walk up to  St Servan centre. (Intra Muros always offers the chance of being marooned if the lock is open!) The covered market at St Servan is excellent but opens only I think Tuesday.

Tuesday market is open in les halles, but thin outside. Friday is the big day. Don't miss the Droguerie de Marine (google it), downhill from the market towards the ferry. If you get right to the top, under the arch is the wonderful bakery Chez Mamie.

While I am a long term fan of Bretagne, the idea of going all the way over to St Malo, spending an hour or so ashore and then re embarking for the long day crossing doesn't appeal at all. I would be bored stiff long before the Isle of Wight came into view. There is only so much you can do of interest on a ferry really and much of the time you will just be sitting around reading.

Edited by cvabishop

If you have a car it isn't a problem as you can simply drive round the back of the harbour via St Malo town. Less than 10 minutes.

• Like 1

Cheers apart from  a few hours in March StMalo is pretty new to us looking forward to spending a couple of days there in September (with the car).

Edited by neilcvx

16 minutes ago, cvabishop said:

If you have a car it isn't a problem as you can simply drive round the back of the harbour via St Malo town. Less than 10 minutes.

Assuming your car is on the same side as you. Parking outside the Intra Muros is always tricky in high season and I'm sure people have been caught out by the lock after leaving their car near the marina. Ed. 

3 hours ago, colin said:

Tuesday market is open in les halles, but thin outside. Friday is the big day. Don't miss the Droguerie de Marine (google it), downhill from the market towards the ferry. If you get right to the top, under the arch is the wonderful bakery Chez Mamie.

He's right don't miss it!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cvabishop said:

While I am a long term fan of Bretagne, the idea of going all the way over to St Malo, spending an hour or so ashore and then re embarking for the long day crossing doesn't appeal at all. I would be bored stiff long before the Isle of Wight came into view. There is only so much you can do of interest on a ferry really and much of the time you will just be sitting around reading.

I often do it when I have an editorial job best done away from the phone! Being at sea never bores me...

19 hours ago, Millsy said:

I often do it when I have an editorial job best done away from the phone! Being at sea never bores me...

Agreed. I'm quite happy just chilling on deck or in the bar, reading and watching the scenery slip by. 

Yes well on the st Malo passage there is a lot to see, particularly if the weather is good. E.g. The channel island, Alderney race, contentin peninsula, IOW and the Solent 

Yes, from a distance, done that many times but more often it is just the briny. Last week we came back from Caen to Portsmouth and it was thick mist all the way until practically entering Portsmouth.

I can appreciate the point about using the ship as a mobile office though, provided there are no school parties aboard.