Discount Travel

Hello Community Members

I soon will be living in France and working in London
Am looking for any weekly/seasonal ferry pass to get a DISCOUNT 
on the travel

All help VALUED with my current inquiry

Best

Paul

With Brittany Ferries, joining Club Voyage will assist. With the Dover operators I believe you can bulk buy crossings (10 at a time?) at a fixed price.

Where in France will you be based?

I think the general consensus is that the UK version of Club Voyage is better value and offers more than the French version. Whether that is dependant on the holder having a fixed UK address I don't know, but if so you might get away with using your work address so any paperwork can be sent to you there as a professional user.

Further to Jim's question above, if you are near Dieppe the DFDS crossing to Newhaven is always cheap as long as you know your plans and book far enough ahead. It also has links to London by train if required. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

52 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Whether that is dependant on the holder having a fixed UK address I don't know

I can confirm that we live in France but have membership of the UK version of Club Voyage. Mail is posted to our French address. (We don't have a UK one!)

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think the general consensus is that the UK version of Club Voyage is better value and offers more than the French version. Whether that is dependant on the holder having a fixed UK address I don't know, but if so you might get away with using your work address so any paperwork can be sent to you there as a professional user.

Further to Jim's question above, if you are near Dieppe the DFDS crossing to Newhaven is always cheap as long as you know your plans and book far enough ahead. It also has links to London by train if required. 

Ed

Not sure the address matters too much. We joined when we were based in U.K. we have lived in Spain for 10yrs now and have changed the address to Spain and it does not seem to make any difference.  We also have U.K. mobile and Spanish landlines registered.  I think there is some form of Spanish Club Voyage but have not explored that  side of things.

What is a big rip off is the Irish end of things.  There is no Irish Club Voyage and no discounts on Irish destinations for the other ”Clubs”. This is despite the Spain/France/Ireland ferry prices being very expensive and the deposit required being a hefty 25% or so compared to the fixed £40 for U.K. sailings.  As an example a single journey on the economie Santander/Cork route in July costs as much as a return July North September South Portsmouth/Santander.  The only hitch seems to be currency, if your origen is in € then you pay in € and similar for £. Not a problem to us since we have C/cards in both.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Ed

I can't remember the last time our friends who live in France used BF - they invariably use Newhaven on cost grounds.

Last October we had to book a crossing at very short notice - 15 hours or so. Dieppe-Newhaven was quickly booked at much less than other crossings bar the short sea ones. I do quite like the quaint decor of the DFDS ships, but they're not a patch on BF's Saint-Malo crossings on Bretagne or Pont-Aven. But, yes, they're a hell of a lot cheaper!

Edited by Jardinier
Typo