Sign in to follow this  
Ryan_H

Ship-spotting in Naples

It looks like I might be visiting Naples next month, and although I won't have time to sail anywhere, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good vantage points for watching/photographing the various ferries & cruise ships?

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

It looks like I might be visiting Naples next month, and although I won't have time to sail anywhere, I was wondering if anyone could recommend any good vantage points for watching/photographing the various ferries & cruise ships?

Thanks in advance

Parco Virgiliano has excellent clifftop pathways, it's a superb vantage point, there's a small amphitheatre to look at too.

I was there last year and found photography a little difficult. There are various terminals at the port of Naples for local conventional ferries, local high-speed ferries and long distance ferries and cruise ships. You can access the local ferry quaysides readily enough, but be warned there is (or was) a strong military and police presence so photographers be wary, although I didn't have any problems. Access onto the long-distant quaysides seemed restricted understandably enough. Best vantage point was from a local (conventional) ferry where you can get good views of any big ships in port. Hope this is helpful. Naples is a dirty, noisy, congested and chaotic city but it does have its charms, and we enjoyed our stay.

• Like 1