cvabishop

Forum Content

Am I alone in being a bit bored with all the minutia  concerning Irish Ferries and E Flexers? It all seems a bit peripheral  to discussions about Brittany Ferries. Is there nothing more interesting currently worthy of discussion?

• Like 2

How are the E-flexers peripheral to Brittany Ferries when they are having at least two of them in order to expand their Spanish services? Apart from Honfleur it's the only factual news regarding BF there is.

It seems there is a greater appetite for rumour regarding a sale of Cap finistere and Pont Aven switching to St Malo.

I also think that the interest with Irish Ferries is more to do with FSG and the dogs dinner they are making of their new build which has obviously created a bit of concern regarding BF's Normandie replacement.

Aren't you interested in whether the two UK based charters which are critical to BF's sailing schedules and capacities are to be extended or not? 

• Like 1

Aren't you interested in whether the two UK based charters which are critical to BF's sailing schedules and capacities are to be extended or not? 

To be perfectly honest, not a great deal - but that's just me I guess. No doubt BF have their plans in place for maintaining services until Galicia and Salamanca arrive. Its probably a moving feast anyway with the practical implications of Brexit remaing unclear.

What prompted my original post is that this website is probably looked at by a lot of people doing Google searches concerning Brittany Ferries and they would like to find independent practical information, reviews and advice as potential or returning customers. And since most of it would be very positive then one would hope they are encouraged to use the company.

But if much of the recent activity revolves around discussions of Irish Ferries and arcane debate about E Flexers (which sounds like a type of ticket) then it is proably rather offputting as we give the impression of being more of a cliquy chat room instead of a source of useful  up to date information. OK, there is TripAdvisor but there is a tendency to use their reviews to voice complaints, often where the reviewer has not understood the problem and maybe holds BF responsible for things like immigration delays or French port worker strikes.

I think voyage reports are good as they give an up to date picture of how things are and they are usefully extended by describing the experience in France for leisure travellers. I know I have said this before but I think it would be good to move away a bit from the anorakish impression this site can sometimes give.

Just my pennyworth anyway...☺️

• Like 1

In my view this forum is actually quite a good mix of details about the ships (current and future) and information about where to eat at the ports, French pollution stickers etc.

Activity in the last 24 hours include:-

• Forum Content
  • Replacement of Bretagne
  • French Ctit'Air certificate
  • le Boat / Canal du Midi

It is quite an eclectic mix of subjects & does not seem too anoraky.

2 hours ago, cvabishop said:

I know I have said this before but I think it would be good to move away a bit from the anorakish impression this site can sometimes give.

Just my pennyworth anyway...☺️

Well yeah, received and understood Colin, I've been known to don the odd sou'wester from time to time! 

Maybe the BFE bods could begin a new sub title named "The Anorak Angle"?

It’s certainly more informative and accurate than reading Wikipedia. I find some of it boring of it intresting and some of it just plain daft but that’s just my own posts, I like the travel reports and like @cvabishop says the onward leisure reports are interesting, wasn’t sure where to put this one.

EE729891-56BA-4139-B283-B72ECA90B33F.thumb.png.15e686e134b50e1ac58327772d837a1f.png

I agree but sometimes I do find myself yearning for the days of a) dear old Kieron,  b) what is wrong with P&O? c) who and why Coban Cruises? (never ever got to the bottom of what all those people were actually doing in that office on George Byng Way) d) will Euroferries ever start? (that's nearly ten years ago now by the way) e) which idiot dreamt up The Student Cruise? (that was eleven years ago now frighteningly).

Yes they were heady days before BF got the de facto monopoly.

Whatever happened to Eric, the bloke who was supposedly looking to start ferry services everywhere from Swansea-Cork to Ramsgate-Ostend?

• Like 1

I have no idea. But I realise I'd also forgotten Severnlink (2010-2012), Celtic Link Portsmouth/Cherborg and that company that made their check-in female staff wear silly red hats who had a go at the Portsmouth  CI routes was it around 2004? Oh yes and that other lot with the tiny fastcat which couldn't sail in most seas who also had a go at the CI in, was it, around 1996. Anybody remember the name of those?

Edited by Millsy

Hoverspeed ran Great Britain in the  very early '90's, 91-92 possibly. I think it was before Normandie arrived as I was in uni from late '92... 

I remember her passing me when I was flitting between the Southsea sea defence work ( anyone remember the Andes crane on the Clarence Esplanade next to Southsea Common?) and finishing off Barfy's berth.

No idea which company tried a C.I service although I think the red hats were worn by AT staff during their brief flirt with a Portsmouth-Santander service?

3 hours ago, jonno said:

Whatever happened to Eric, the bloke who was supposedly looking to start ferry services everywhere from Swansea-Cork to Ramsgate-Ostend?

I think you mean Ernst!  He’s still at it, over on the DFE forum.... 😳

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Khaines said:

Ernst Munk

Oh yeah, he of the dissolved Yasmin Ferries of Gloucester and with SunLink he promised fast ferries for the Kattegat.

With great reluctance, I feel less and less inclined to contribute to this forum for various reasons. 

Reasons would be ranging from members assening dubious unverified facts to incorrect statements which when challenged are best of time ignored or downplayed even though the challenges may come from actual regular users who interact on a regular basis with BF staff. 

I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years and I feel the the forum has lost a lot in terms of content. 

I rest my case for now. 

• Like 1

Should be comfortable enough for everybody to enjoy and feel relaxed posting.  I could have easily upped sticks a few years ago over a certain Poole ship as I got fed up with the stick I felt I got over her.  But that is a cop out.  If people want to not take part because of a few other people then that is their problem, there are no doubt members who don’t post here because of me and that Poole ship.  But again, that is up to them, there is plenty else going on on here that there is no reason that someone should feel unable to take part.  Nobody has to interact with those they’d rather not, and if they bother them that much there is an ignore function!   

Disputes and disagreements happen, that is the nature of life and the internet.  So long as someone is not abusive and disrespectful (and there is one Portsmouth based poster who directs abuse at me on occasion for absolutely no reason, although not for a while and he is duly taken no notice of) then everyone is entitled to an opinion.  If I had a penny for every time someone disagreed with me, I’d be a vert rich woman!

We should all get on.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, crechbleiz said:

With great reluctance, I feel less and less inclined to contribute to this forum for various reasons. 

Reasons would be ranging from members assening dubious unverified facts to incorrect statements which when challenged are best of time ignored or downplayed even though the challenges may come from actual regular users who interact on a regular basis with BF staff. 

I have been a member of this forum for over 10 years and I feel the the forum has lost a lot in terms of content. 

I rest my case for now. 

I think I joined in 2015, when Baie De Seine joined the BF fleet. I initially joined to share knowledge, and learn more about how BF runs. I feel that everyone here, has welcomed me, and has helped me grow my knowledge, and be able to help me improve the way I cite my information, and sort my sourcing. Being a member of multiple 'insider' groups allowed me to start the DFDS updates thread. As Khaines said, " If I had a penny for every time someone disagreed with me, I’d be very rich". Let me just say, I think the only thing my sources were wrong about was Malo Seaways covering Newhaven to Dieppe, which I did say was "Unlikely"! 

While I generally don't feel a huge interest in the current ongoings at BF, I do like to dip in and out. I think the main reason I contribute less, is that there isn't a 'Todays' posts anymore. I tended to use that to see what was going on. I feel I've connected, debated, disagreed with, and found common ground with so many on BFE. I've learnt so much! 

I'm not going anywhere, I just wanted to share how the forum content on BFE has been perfect! Lets keep going! 

Having been only lurking for a while due to a busy day job and taking the time today to have a bit of a read, it must be said there is a bit of a sound of barrel scraping going on in some places (in some cases it reminds me of a debate years ago when someone on the old POFE site was excited to find the hand dryers in their local pub were the same as on one of the P&O ships...*)

I'd encourage everyone to remember at heart we try to be a welcoming and friendly community to all. We are open in our membership and as such attract those with all levels of interest - I know for a fact that this can grate those who are working within the ferry/shipping/travel industry, and even for someone who isn't (eg Me!), it can also (and often does) drive me nuts. Variety, however, is the spice of life. 

Everyone here needs to have a tolerance of others, just as we do in life. But I'd encourage people to also give some thought to views that don't agree with their own, they may be wrong... they may not be. I'd also encourage people to give some thought to who is perhaps more often right than wrong and some consideration to if they perhaps have a reason for that...

(*I should add that despite that particular online debate, the individual in question was also one of the best men at my wedding, and the bathrooms at the reception used paper towels. True fact.)

• Like 4