Sign in to follow this  
neilcvx

You can’t catch the train.

It looks very unlikely that you will ever be able to get a train from Roscoff now.

It'll probably be the last train on #Morlaix- #Roscoff. Following the weather, the X73590 was blocked in Taulé, it was repatriated this morning to St Pol de Leon where it will be transported by truck tomorrow until Morlaix. A sad ending for this beautiful line.

Another French line bites the dust. Now remind me once again just how better the French system is? 🤣

There is a viaduc on the line which costs a fortune to maintain apparently. The bus service is not that much slower than the train and can be more easily adapted to suit the seasonal traffic. I agree it's a shame but just another argument, in my mind, for the Irish ferries to start using St Malo instead. 

https://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://transportrail.canalblog.com/pages/morlaix---roscoff---comment-sauver-une-ligne-en-peril--/34126401.html&ved=2ahUKEwjk76Gp4eHbAhXFuRQKHRwqD84QFjAEegQIAxAB&usg=AOvVaw2DBBWuzKGh41ttAacYalwN

Ed. 

I've never got the train to or from Roscoff. It's always been a bus service. That said, the bus ride is a very pretty journey.

There are two bus services between Roscoff and Morlaix, one run by the SNCF and local bus 29 (fare €2).  Some of the services go via the ferry terminal.  There are also buses from the ferry to Brest (also €2).

It reminds me of the Borders railway absent since the 1960’s and only a few folk realised how popular it could be they campaigned to get it rebuilt now it’s extremely popular and people have the choice bus,car or train.

I love the railways of Brittany and its idealic rural branch lines, however, the rolling stock is far too modern and look out of place on the railway. They look  like the kind of things you would expect too see on an inter-urban transit light rail system. I, personally, am much more of a fan of the pre 90's loco hauled services you used to see.