Sign in to follow this  
Khaines

Plastic cutlery

During the crossing home on Barfleur yesterday, I got my evening meal from the kiosk cafe as opposed to the self service as they do some rather nice pizzas in there and wanted to try one.  However, although the pizza was extremely moreish, there appeared to be only plastic cutlery.  The self service has “proper” metal cutlery, yet this cafe seemed only to have plastic stuff up by the tills.  The single use plastic argument aside, this isn’t what I am on about, but the forks are useless!  Prong broke during use so quite flimsy, quite bendy as well which is a bit tricky trying to hold down a pizza while you cut with a knife.  Next time will grab metal cutlery from the self service and take down the other end..😄. I just wonder why they use plastic cutlery in that part of the ship.  Great pizza though, was thoroughly stuffed after that, really enjoyed it.

BF are apparently having a review of their use of plastic that’s what I was told recently anyway , they shouldn’t really need to use too much plastic and with their tie up with OCRA it should be a priority to use next to none , your situation sounds like plain laziness on their behalf , but pizza with a fork and knife 😮

You are probably better off asking them to cut it up into slices for you at the till. The plastic cutlery (which should be swapped for bamboo in this day and age) is more likely aimed at those buying salads and croque monsieurs etc. Ed. 

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

BF are apparently having a review of their use of plastic that’s what I was told recently anyway , they shouldn’t really need to use too much plastic and with their tie up with OCRA it should be a priority to use next to none , your situation sounds like plain laziness on their behalf , but pizza with a fork and knife 😮

Would have been impossible to eat that pizza without the help of cutlery, I did partially eat the traditional way, but wanted to avoid dropping food onto my clothes.  Felt safer and a bit better mannered using cutlery for that one, lots of things that could drip and fall everywhere making a mess.  Miay well ask next time - and there will be a next time!

• Like 1

This plastic cutlery lark has to end !  I mean, would you serve anything to yourself and yours on a paper plate and with plastic throwaway cutlery?

I used to quite enjoy the ‘jambon braise’ with madeira sauce that you could get at most French motorway service stations. Not cordon bleu, but always fresh and tasty.

Quite recently, I asked for the same at a place where it was up on the menu board. It was plonked on to a small-ish paper plate and I was given plastic cutlery to wrestle with.   If I hadn’t been so hungry, I’d have told him .............  you can guess the rest !

Not good news folks and we should fight back by refusing to comply.

All of the kiosk café's aboard BF ships have plastic cutlery and have done for years, they're designed like a takeaway. BF dispose of all of their waste responsibly.

How does their tie in with ORCA have any bearing on what they use?

I thought it would be pretty obvious, producing plastic still has an effect on the environment and therefore the ocean habitat, even if you dispose of your waste responsibly it still costs environmentally to do that , plus there is the fact that they are highlighting the damage plastic does in the ocean.

It’s all about small changes.

Your chance to make a difference 

ORCA's Make a Small Change campaign is your chance to make a difference. See how making just small changes to your behaviour can have a wider impact on the marine environment.

Whether you reduce the number of plastic bags or plastic straws that you use, ensuring you recycle as much as you can or picking up rubbish that you find on a walk of your local area. 

Whatever it may be send us your pledge by email to info@orcaweb.org.uk and you will receive your ORCA pledge certificate by email. 

https://www.orcaweb.org.uk/our-work/orca-news/item/new-study-shines-a-light-on-the-depth-of-the-plastic-problem

And black plastic isn’t recyclable.

Edited by neilcvx
  • Like 1

Use your fingers!

On the ORCA front - a whale is currently plowing up and down the Tamar, have a Whale spotting tour closer to home:)

Additionally - I have nothing against trying to help the environment.... I would just rather not live through this transition phase. Having to queue up in McDonalds to ask the manager for a straw and feeling guilty for doing so, when until a few weeks ago they gave away just shy of 2 million every day in the UK without batting an eyelid.Nothing has changed, everyone knew plastics were not fantastic. Even if all plastic was banned worldwide overnight, it would take a generation to have any significant effect on a global scale. A small group of girl guides walking up and down Newquay beach on a Saturday morning with a grabber from Poundland really isn't going to have much of an impact...

8 minutes ago, hf_uk said:

Use your fingers!

On the ORCA front - a whale is currently plowing up and down the Tamar, have a Whale spotting tour closer to home:)

Additionally - I have nothing against trying to help the environment.... I would just rather not live through this transition phase. Having to queue up in McDonalds to ask the manager for a straw and feeling guilty for doing so, when until a few weeks ago they gave away just shy of 2 million every day in the UK without batting an eyelid.Nothing has changed, everyone knew plastics were not fantastic. Even if all plastic was banned worldwide overnight, it would take a generation to have any significant effect on a global scale. A small group of girl guides walking up and down Newquay beach on a Saturday morning with a grabber from Poundland really isn't going to have much of an impact...

You have to start somewhere look at plastic bags for shopping. If a butterfly flaps its wings in japan a tsunami happens in LA!

The plastic bags used on board in the gift shops are made from potato starch and are biodegradable, the bags have a crisp type feel to them . 

• Like 2

I’m sure plastic cutlery will be banned soon enough anyway replaced by starch based or wooden cutlery would be nice for BF to be ahead of the game, if a whole supermarket chain like Iceland can go plastic free I’m sure a ferry company could what great PR that would be.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hf_uk said:

Use your fingers!

Using one’s fingers on this pizza would have been like using one’s fingers to eat a lasagne.  Except for the very edges, the pizza was quite thin and if one was to pick a piece up from the sides it would just droop and loads of topping would fall off,  the base is a very thin one and the weight of the topping does not keep it rigid while you eat it, it is soft in the middle while there is crust on the outside.  Pick it up with fingers and it is like serving a lasagne on a slice of bread and and expecting it to stay rigid while you eat it.  Trust me,  these pizzas are much more politer and easier to manage with cutlery!  

My issue was mainly with the fact that the fork broke under little pressure during use, so quite flimsy cutlery.  No problem for me to get cutlery from the self service and return it there after use.  

9 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I thought it would be pretty obvious, producing plastic still has an effect on the environment and therefore the ocean habitat, even if you dispose of your waste responsibly it still costs environmentally

Oh right, and pumping gallons of sulphuric acid into the sea from scrubber wash water is ok because no one has made an issue of it yet. Just wait until that starts destroying the Baltic due to its lack of tidal movement.

What about paper recycling? Of the 8.5 million tons the UK produces every year only 50% is recycled, the highest figure in Europe, which in itself is still poor when you consider that producing new paper generates over 70% more carbon dioxide.

Plastic knives and forks are made of polypropylene which is highly recyclable whatever the colour. What's the choices, wood, stainless steel?

Wooden cutlery means single use and not recyclable due to contaminants and producing stainless steel creates a huge amount of waste which has no purpose unless it's cold formed which is very expensive and cost prohibitive for general household objects.

99% of the plastics we use are recyclable, the other 1% can easily be incinerated in waste to energy plants. The problem is that they aren't.

Since the 1950's we've produced 8.3 billion tons of plastic, 6.3 billion has become waste with only 9% of that recycled. The real issue is why, especially when all landfill can be safely incinerated to produce low cost energy.

Pointing the finger at BF for "not doing their bit" is far too over simplified. They dispose of their waste as responsibly as you or I, it's what happens afterward which letting the environment down.

• Thanks 2

I’m not pointing the finger at BF it’s a discussion about BF and about plastic and how they use it as I’ve said there are other alternatives such as starch based products , also black plastic is not recycled by all major European plants as the infra red sensors can’t pick it up so it goes to waste, trying to divert the discussion onto other things as companies do this or do that doesn’t change the fact that single use plastic is one of the worst products for the environment around and will probably be banned soon anyway even the Conservatives realise that.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, neilcvx said:

I’m not pointing the finger at BF it’s a discussion about BF and about plastic and how they use it as I’ve said there are other alternatives such as starch based products , also black plastic is not recycled by all major European plants as the infra red sensors can’t pick it up so it goes to waste, trying to divert the discussion onto other things as companies do this or do that doesn’t change the fact that single use plastic is one of the worst products for the environment around and will probably be banned soon anyway even the Conservatives realise that.

On the BF front I'm not trying to divert anything. Just pointing out that plastic isn't the only problem, just the current one in focus. 

Single use plastic and carbon black pigment amongst others clashing with conveyor belts as a reason as to why they end up in landfill is very misleading. There's no such thing really, It's just an excuse made by those unwilling to invest in the appropriate recycling technology.

Personally I'm very excited about Bio Polymers, when the technology is fully researched and is mainstream in about a decade or so they will change the world. I've tried using PLA based jars and bottles made from cellulose but they are just too expensive, ten times the price, so it has to be clear PET, I won't use coloured jars etc for the exact reason you mentioned the carbon black. 

The black plastic issue is very real and why major supermarkets are stopping using it, almost all of it ends up in landfill regardless of the cause it’s a problem coupled with the fact there’s a tiny market for coloured recycled plastic, the reason single use plastic is so in focus just now  is because it’s such a harmful permanent problem when it’s not recycled , it’s a big company like ikea can stop using it then I’m sure a small company likeBF can manage it with a lot less hassle, then they can start working on other green issues like getting those fancy sails on Bretagnes replacement.

http://www.plasticfreechallenge.org/what-is-single-use-plastic/

I have cut down right down on my use of black plastic trays.  I cut out ready meals ages ago as part of a diet, and I was forever feeling guilty every time I went to throw away the containers.  I used to put them in the recycling bins until I found out that the council would send an entire big bin full of recyclables to landfill if it contained non recyclable objects.  Absolutely ridiculous, that, so have been gradually cutting as much out as possible.   

The plastic cutlery on Barfleur I was talking about is grey, not black.  My issue as said was not so much the use of plastics, for all I know they could be recyclable plastic, so the issue is not that, it is to do with how flimsy the forks are, just  prodding a pizza lightly to hold it while I cut with the knife made the prongs break off.  Steel cutlery is much better.  Out of interest how much of a lifespan does steel cutlery have before it is replaced?

Theres also an argument similar to this for airlines, and rail operators also... Almost all of these companies in standard classes give passengers plastic cutlery (very often black)... When you look at the amount of journeys on airlines and rail operators across the world, you see that the majority of this stuff will end up in a landfill site, either because destination nations don't recycle, or the cutlery gets dropped into bins which contain other none recyclable items. There is a huge issue with weight, across all modes of transport, boat, train and plane, in terms of offering metallic cutlery to all passengers, but in my opinion, the costs of making this cutlery (on a say once every 5 years) to making plastic none recyclable cutlery (so much per day), the cost benefits will likely outweigh the extra weight... 

It is a shame that these groups can't get together to find a real solution. 

7 hours ago, daves_pad! said:

lol - only on BFE can there be so much talk about the issues over eating a pizza with plastic cutlery... 

Only cos in my case the plastic cutlery in question breaks during use..😄  How much extra weight would metal cutlery carry.  How much is in the self service already that could be reassigned to the kiosk.

Edited by Khaines