Jim

2018/2019 Xmas & New Year Cruises - Confirmed

Xmas Cruise - check-in opens at 15.00 for a departure at 18.00

New Years - check-in opens at 16.00 for a departure at 19.00

5 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Apologies but yawn.....would love to see something different....

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Brugges

Hamburg 

Copenhagen

Esjberg

Dublin

Bergen

????

I don't know about "Yawn", I think a long sea journey at "that" time of year would have a negative effect for many, myself included.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Brugges

Hamburg

Copenhagen

Esjberg

Dublin

Bergen

????

Probably best left to the actual cruise lines...

Amsterdam is already done (by DFDS).  Bruges is probably accessible from Antwerp.  Dublin - more easily accessed from Holyhead?  The Scandinavian destinations are probably too far - (a) for the average customer to be at sea in potential winter conditions and (b) for the ship to slot in between normal ferry duties.  The whole trip really needs to be complete within about 3 days from departure to arrival back in Portsmouth.

They could do a Copenhagen trip out (or back) with a return by air when a ferry goes up to Poland for refit I suppose but they always destore before leaving so it might be complicated. Ed. 

5 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

They could do a Copenhagen trip out (or back) with a return by air when a ferry goes up to Poland for refit I suppose but they always destore before leaving so it might be complicated. Ed. 

That sounds really tempting Ed.....! 😂

Just now, Gareth said:

That sounds really tempting Ed.....! 😂

Well if the vessel has been emptied of its stores the passengers could take inflatable mattresses with them (thus avoiding any bedding complaints 😉) and packed breakfast, lunch and dinner for three days (so no problems with restaurant queues) plus enough alcohol to see them through (in the pdf brochure  or stares that passengers on the trip to Antwerp will be unable to buy tobacco or drinks due to tax laws - how is that possible in a so-called united Europe?). Ed. 

Thanks Jim

I would say that prices are up about 22.50% compared to our last festive cruise (that's for two in a four berth club cabin, two festive dinners & o/b parking)

Edited by Paul W. H
Spelling

14 hours ago, Jim said:

Probably best left to the actual cruise lines...

🙄

Ok but somewhere different in the Netherlands, Belgium or Ireland would be a nice change.

And Jim, I would have you know that the 'Val' was supposed to sail to Amsterdam in 94 (I think) but the trip was cancelled to due bad weather, so it has been done before.

There are plenty of other options for destination than the usual bore fest of northern France and Antwerp.

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 00:44, Le Quiberon said:

Amsterdam

Rotterdam

Brugges

Hamburg

Copenhagen

Esjberg

Dublin

Bergen

????

Nice ideas and I too would like to see special trips to some of these places, but ultimately Brittany Ferries is a French ferry operator and tour operator, whose core business is promoting France and Spain, therefore I can't see too much logic in them sending their flagship vessel too far outside their 'territory' - It could prove counterproductive. As others have pointed out Honfleur makes sense from a marketing perspective as much as anything else.

There's nothing stopping DFDS operating a Christmas or New Year special to somewhere other than Amsterdam, it's not like there is a shortage of ports in their network. Also P&O could do something more imaginative rather than just keeping their ships in Hull in port...

14 hours ago, Le Quiberon said:

🙄

Ok but somewhere different in the Netherlands, Belgium or Ireland would be a nice change.

And Jim, I would have you know that the 'Val' was supposed to sail to Amsterdam in 94 (I think) but the trip was cancelled to due bad weather, so it has been done before.

There are plenty of other options for destination than the usual bore fest of northern France and Antwerp.

The PA has also been to Rotterdam in recent years if I recall correctly - but the bottom line is that 'cruising' is not BF's core business. There are other options, but it's not as easy as pitch-up and unload. Take, for example, this year's Antwerp trip which has customs implications both for the onboard retail shops but also the behind the scenes activities which will require different clearances, customs paperwork, security arrangements etc. Cruise lines are far more geared up for it operationally than a ferry company who go somewhere different twice a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ryan_H said:

Nice ideas and I too would like to see special trips to some of these places, but ultimately Brittany Ferries is a French ferry operator and tour operator, whose core business is promoting France and Spain, therefore I can't see too much logic in them sending their flagship vessel too far outside their 'territory' - It could prove counterproductive. As others have pointed out Honfleur makes sense from a marketing perspective as much as anything else.

There's nothing stopping DFDS operating a Christmas or New Year special to somewhere other than Amsterdam, it's not like there is a shortage of ports in their network. Also P&O could do something more imaginative rather than just keeping their ships in Hull in port...

I'm sure they used to actually sail down the Humber and back or something years ago. The Bruges one sails to watch the fireworks at Ostend and Rotterdam moors by the erasmusbridge, both more appealing than a night alongside in Hull! 

Presumably time  prevents PA going to Rouen this year? 

Edited by Tumnus2010

3 hours ago, Tumnus2010 said:

Presumably time  prevents PA going to Rouen this year? 

The docks in Rouen are also very busy at that time so there may not actually be space for PA. (See page one of this thread for a link I posted to the Rouen port calls schedule for an update). Ed. 

• Thanks 1

As I recall PA goes on the main cruise berth and the river cruise vessels go on the other side of the 'jetty'. The vessel in question on your list leaves on the 24th before PA wouild have arrived I think ?

You might well be right that they are river cruise vessels and not larger craft. I didn't check the details. In which case maybe the choice of Honfleur is both to offer a change and, as suggested above, for marketing purposes. Ed.