Sign in to follow this  
d2frs

BF goes Environmentally Friendly.

BF have finally replaced those wretched plastic cups in the cabin with paper cups.

I say wretched as I could never get a cup out of its plastic bag without cracking it.  Perhaps they should have made the cups out of the same material as the plastic bag as it seemed far stronger

Nodoubt somebody will complain that cups are now unhygienic no longer being wrapped in their plastic sheath of ocean death.

Sorry I don't know or what the pH of the cups is,. Or the fruit tarts for that matter either.

IMG_20180703_093623-1.jpg

Edited by d2frs
  • Like 1

They were designed to crack all the way from the lip down to around half an inch from the base to stop you wasting water (in the interests of the environment of course!). The new ones will probably dissolve if left with water inside for more than 30 seconds. It's called progress. Ed. 

What they should do is ask you if you require cups when you book and provide reusable ones.  Or take your own, I have an enamel mug I take with me for staying away from home.  I don’t know why they provide cups anyway in the showers, I never use them.

13 hours ago, Khaines said:

What they should do is ask you if you require cups when you book and provide reusable ones.  Or take your own, I have an enamel mug I take with me for staying away from home.  I don’t know why they provide cups anyway in the showers, I never use them.

Whilst more environmentally friendly, that would also be a massive overhead in then administrating and ensuring that the right cabins had cups blah blah blah.

Just off the top of my head... the booking system would need to be updated, which in itself would involve working out what needed changing, getting approval to spend the (internal) money doing it, designing it, building it, testing it, putting it in... doing similar for the website and call centre screens too. Then you've got to make sure there's a way for the ship to have the information in a practical way, so some adding it to the cabin manifest... and that's all before you bring in the human factor to actually remember to put them in. You'd spend thousands administrating paper cups.

Maybe you'd do it if you were Ryanair and charging for cups ;) but in this case it's much easier just to make sure they are there and if people choose not to use them, so be it. 

14 hours ago, Jim said:

Whilst more environmentally friendly, that would also be a massive overhead in then administrating and ensuring that the right cabins had cups blah blah blah.

Just off the top of my head... the booking system would need to be updated, which in itself would involve working out what needed changing, getting approval to spend the (internal) money doing it, designing it, building it, testing it, putting it in... doing similar for the website and call centre screens too. Then you've got to make sure there's a way for the ship to have the information in a practical way, so some adding it to the cabin manifest... and that's all before you bring in the human factor to actually remember to put them in. You'd spend thousands administrating paper cups.

Maybe you'd do it if you were Ryanair and charging for cups ;) but in this case it's much easier just to make sure they are there and if people choose not to use them, so be it. 

Careful Jim, that's far too much techy information, you'll be accused of being pedantic, boring even...

The cups are none recyclable as they're plastic coated on the inside, a bit like a drinks carton. But hey what do I know the D.Phil and M.Sc.Eng were clearly wasted...

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, jonno said:

Careful Jim, that's far too much techy information, you'll be accused of being pedantic, boring even...

The cups are none recyclable as they're plastic coated on the inside, a bit like a drinks carton. But hey what do I know the D.Phil and M.Sc.Eng were clearly wasted...

I am, proudly, all of the above. Anyway, wouldn't that make me 'a pedant'? ;) 

26 minutes ago, d2frs said:

Thought they were wax coated?? 😲

Plastic... 'tis the same problem with high-street chain coffee cups, they're not actually recyclable that easily.

1 hour ago, jonno said:

I’m impressed you can tell the composition of a cup from a jpeg photo 😉

• Haha 2

I shall investigate further when I return on MSM later today wax coated or not.  Not that anybody really cares but at least some plastic  reduction is a step in the right direction.  

• Like 1