Sign in to follow this  
colin

Applying for French residency

Yes, very different. It means I have to continue paying them my taxes but I'm not allowed to tell how much tax I'd actually like to pay. 😉 Ed. 

It's supposed to be a ten-year residency card but will see if that changes due to outcome of the Brexit process. As to the advantage. It's a quick process, certainly quicker than citizenship which can take a couple of years apparently. I'll probably start that process in the summer seeing as I did the French language test last December and that's valid for 2 years. Ed

Many Congratulations....The boy done well🤣....does this now give you membership of your village Jilet Jaune chapter?

14 minutes ago, Paully said:

Many Congratulations....The boy done well🤣....does this now give you membership of your village Jilet Jaune chapter?

No, getting to that level of integration in French society takes years of practice, Olympic-levels of bloody-mindedness, a complete disregard for civilised behaviour, and probably some dodgy handshakes too. I'm nowhere near that yet. Ed. 

• Haha 2

And we don't get nice friendly letters …. just a text message! You clearly are highly regarded....

1 hour ago, colin said:

And we don't get nice friendly letters …. just a text message! You clearly are highly regarded....

There appears to be absolutely no standard system in place for these cards. Each prefecture does exactly what they want. I was aiming for a one-year card but she said a ten-year card would be more appropriate. But what I actually get might be a temporary one that can then be exchanged for whatever they deem appropriate post-Brexit. I'll keep you posted. Ed. 

Down here in the Gard, residency applications are being returned, with the Prefecture basically saying “We’ll deal with applications when we all know precisely what’s happening”.

That seems sensible to me - probably the 1st time ever that they’ve been sensible!  It doesn’t bother me since I’d already decided not to bother until I knew what was going to happen.

• Thanks 1

We moved to France in summer of 2016 and applied for our residency card last autumn. They are valid for one year from end-November, the date on which our completed applications – with all correct docs – were officially submitted to the Prefecture here in Caen. This is the Carte de Sejour Citoyen EU. A friend who has recently been issued a similar card elsewhere was told by the official handing it over that when it expires he would qualify for a new CdS "Etrangère Britannique", although exact details and indeed name were "waiting for Madame May".

• Like 1