Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

New deposit price on bookings?

Morning,

Just got a mail from BF about winter and 2019 sailings.

Says "deposit only 25% of the value of the booking"

What happened to the £40 deposit?

Stu

They announced it was going to be 25% last year, its to stop people doing block bookings and not turning up or cancelling at the last minute.

Doesn't affect us as we use the ferry to commute regularly and so make block bookings. And the deposit system is better than the airlines at least.

But what an increase especially for holiday makers!

Anyone noticed the staggering increase in the price of products in the shops of late? Can't help thinking a raise in the deposit will hit hard on families and is it good business?

Small deposit and you've got the customer hooked. Increases cash flow but overall nothing else.

Stu 

3 minutes ago, 1kerbut1 said:

They announced it was going to be 25% last year, its to stop people doing block bookings and not turning up or cancelling at the last minute.

Missed that. If you cancel you lose the deposit right? Leave it to the last minute then. Rather self defeating methinks.

Stu

1 minute ago, cvabishop said:

Well, you could look at the other way in that nearer the time of travel you won't have to find so much money.

Just what I said. Book late as poss.

1 hour ago, Rik762 said:

That makes a BIG difference!

I have a recollection that those in the Republic of Ireland  (not Eire - won't make that mistake again!) are already paying 25% (but may be wrong) so perhaps it's just a question of aligning he various booking systems. Ed. 

I personally prefer it the new way, I personally won't wait as late as possible I might not get the cabin type I want and the price may go up.

35 minutes ago, James210700 said:

Do we know then the prices and bookings are going to be released for winter 2018 and 2019

This was what I wrote last week in reply to a similar question :

You can also subscribe to the BF newsletter which should then send you the information as soon as it's released. 

http://brittanyferriesemail.com/interface/signup_preload.php?url=http://www.uploadlibrary.com/Brittanyferries/preferenceCentre/signup.html

Hope that helps. 

Ed

Edited by Cabin-boy

BF are still the only company to offer a deposit scheme, all of the the other carriers want the fare upfront regardless of how far off your departure date is.

9 minutes ago, jonno said:

BF are still the only company to offer a deposit scheme, all of the the other carriers want the fare upfront regardless of how far off your departure date is.

And it is simple enough to make a free change to later dates instead of cancelling

• Like 1

I have always booked ASA the itineraries come out so as to get the best cabins. The £40 did not seem to much of a deposit especially as there is no charge for amendments if dates have to change. 25% deposit is a different matter but I wonder whether it may stop a lot of block bookings and therefore make it easier to book nearer the time? 

7 minutes ago, mjturner said:

I have always booked ASA the itineraries come out so as to get the best cabins. The £40 did not seem to much of a deposit especially as there is no charge for amendments if dates have to change. 25% deposit is a different matter but I wonder whether it may stop a lot of block bookings and therefore make it easier to book nearer the time? 

I am sure that will be the case for the majority of passengers

5 hours ago, 1kerbut1 said:

Can you point me to the bit where BF says its to stop block bookings please.

32 minutes ago, straightfeed said:

Can you point me to the bit where BF says its to stop block bookings please.

No one can, it doesn't exist. It's an informed and experienced assumption made by some which has gained traction. In their defence however there does seem to be a little more availability now during the peak months sailings so it would appear that although BF hasn't said as much in order not to cause offence, it doesn't take a huge leap in ones mind to suggest the thought had occurred to them particularly in the case of pet friendly cabins.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, James210700 said:

Do we know then the prices and bookings are going to be released for winter 2018 and 2019

Today’s email is a pre-announcement of several points. However it does say that winter and summer 2019 sailings will be released in mid July so I take that to be 15th or 16th July.

16 minutes ago, JohnMustow said:

Today’s email is a pre-announcement of several points. However it does say that winter and summer 2019 sailings will be released in mid July so I take that to be 15th or 16th July.

It’s French style mid July so it’s anytime from tomorrow until the end of July.

One of the BF tweets said that the timetable will be released early next week. That will then lead to the normal scramble by dog owners.

Edited by David Williams
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Assuming the person responsible is not to busy celebrating /sobbing (delete as applicable) to upload the data. Ed. 

13 hours ago, jonno said:

No one can, it doesn't exist. It's an informed and experienced assumption made by some which has gained traction. In their defence however there does seem to be a little more availability now during the peak months sailings so it would appear that although BF hasn't said as much in order not to cause offence, it doesn't take a huge leap in ones mind to suggest the thought had occurred to them particularly in the case of pet friendly cabins.

Block bookings ban!

Thanks Jonno.  Theres me thinking BF was a business. Silly me.

Stu

They are indeed a business and I expect not in the habit of willingly shooting themselves in the foot.... This seems to be a way of not losing trade by turning away genuine customers who haven't been able to book because someone else has decided that a small deposit is a worth potentially losing if they change their mind.

25% of something that you're going to need to pay for anyway doesn't seem overly ludicrous.

Not a direct comparison, but BA holidays request a deposit of £150 per person regardless of the overall price.

• Like 6

The only real reason why I travel on Brittany Ferries is so that I can take my dog with me when I go to Spain two to three times a year. I have done the two-day drive through France three times (twice planned, and once because of a cancelled sailing) - and I really would rather not, given the choice.

In order to make sure I can book accommodation for the dog, I have found that I need to make the bookings as soon as the availability is released - which can be as much as 15 months in advance of my travel dates!

In July 2017, I was not sure exactly when I would be in a position to make my October 2018 trip - so I didn't book it. When I came to try and book it  earlier this year I discovered that not only had all the pet-friendly cabins had been sold out, but also almost all of the kennel space had also gone.... so I might not be able to make the trip at all this year - unless I delay it until November, I guess.

But even more annoying was the situation I discovered in October last year, when I was able to book the kennels for my preferred dates. In speaking with other dog owners on board I head that they had managed to book their pet-friendly cabins just a few weeks before travel. This means that bookings were cancelled for at least two different pet-friendly cabins on that cross - I am guessing sudden availability of these cabins ties in with when the balance was due and remained unpaid.

I am hopeful that the new higher deposit will reduce this behaviour, and make it easier to book pet accommodation. We shall see...