Sign in to follow this  
straightfeed

New deposit price on bookings?

Last year when we booked on the Bretagne, well ahead of sailing date, we were allocated a cabin below the car deck. Rang BF who said that they fill the cabin allocations from the top, of the vessel, downwards, at the time of booking. Sure they kindly sorted out a better cabin for us, but on sailing day there seemed to be plenty of cabins available. It won`t have escaped their attentions that cabin bookings are being skewed especially on the St Malo run, where cabins are at a premium sometimes. Yet another reason to tighten up. I bet its a combination of many reasons, most of which the travelling public will, as usual, have brought upon themselves.

I too am happy with the 25% deposit. Lets see how it pans out.

• Like 1

I wonder if they take extra if you change the booking? For example we’re wondering whether to go StMalo or Roscoff for next years holiday , will most probably be StMalo as the road to Plymouth has got so bad but if we decide to save a good few pennies after we’ve booked I might change it to Roscoff, I suppose they will take extra but not refund less because at the end of they day you will be paying it anyway.

2 hours ago, Paully said:

Last year when we booked on the Bretagne, well ahead of sailing date, we were allocated a cabin below the car deck. Rang BF who said that they fill the cabin allocations from the top, of the vessel, downwards, at the time of booking. Sure they kindly sorted out a better cabin for us, but on sailing day there seemed to be plenty of cabins available. It won`t have escaped their attentions that cabin bookings are being skewed especially on the St Malo run, where cabins are at a premium sometimes. Yet another reason to tighten up. I bet its a combination of many reasons, most of which the travelling public will, as usual, have brought upon themselves.

I too am happy with the 25% deposit. Lets see how it pans out.

I could be wrong, but whilst I'm sure on Bretagne there is a preference for filling the upper deck cabins first, I'd have thought it more likely to be through rotating which blocks of cabins are used/filled to minimise the cleaning/turnover effort. I know P&O used to do similar out of Portsmouth and occasionally claim to be out of cabins when in reality some had just not been turned over.

59 minutes ago, neilcvx said:

I wonder if they take extra if you change the booking? For example we’re wondering whether to go StMalo or Roscoff for next years holiday , will most probably be StMalo as the road to Plymouth has got so bad but if we decide to save a good few pennies after we’ve booked I might change it to Roscoff, I suppose they will take extra but not refund less because at the end of they day you will be paying it anyway.

I'd have thought that to be the normal approach, but that said, it's not clear from the terms and conditions what they'd do.

• Like 1

Once they've got your initial deposit I doubt they worry too much about having another 5 or 10 pounds (or whatever) due to a change in the booking options. They can still take the balance from your account as planned and charge you extra fees for late changes etc. It's a dissuasion measure to stop block-bookings and the like, not to swell their coffers. Ed. 

2 hours ago, neilcvx said:

In the past we cancelled last minute, travelling with a group and some got nervous of the weekend forecast.  Phoned in the morning and rebooked a couple of weeks later, paid the fee for changing and  had a refund as the second sailing was cheaper.

I agree with the 25% deposit it stops the time wasters who are booking the pet places,even when they might not travel .i have and few others have complained over the years about this practise.many times you see pet kennels and cabins coming up near to the travel dates so they have to pay the balance so they cancel and lose only a small amount of cash.so it long overdue to try a stamp out this practice.

Today I received an email from BF to confirm the date they'll take the balance of our Spanish trip on Sept 1st. I was a bit shocked at the value as it looked like the full price again until I realised the initial deposit was only £40. I know it's an illusion but now I feel £200 worse off.

You don't expect the balance to be in the same ballpark as the total. Maybe psychology has played a part in BF's thinking too? 

Now that they’ve changed the deposit, I wonder when we will get all the “extra benefits “ promised to club voyage members when they increased the price of membership.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

Now that they’ve changed the deposit, I wonder when we will get all the “extra benefits “ promised to club voyage members when they increased the price of membership.

Don't get that Neil, the price of the crossing is still the same?

We've saved over £695 this year on our 3 bookings not to mention the meal discounts. Spending £175 to save over £520, that's good enough for us. What extra benefits do we need?

3 minutes ago, jonno said:

Don't get that Neil, the price of the crossing is still the same?

We've saved over £695 this year on our 3 bookings not to mention the meal discounts. Spending £175 to save over £520, that's good enough for us. What extra benefits do we need?

I wasn’t expecting any but it was stated in a BF email to Club voyage members that extra benefits would be coming soon so yes I expect them to be true to their word.

Our team is working hard to add more benefits for members to enjoy and I hope to be able to communicate those to you soon. Of course, for now, you will continue to receive up to 30% from your crossings and all the other benefits you currently enjoy. We do plan a £5 increase in membership fees from 1 March, the first rise in two years, but I hope the benefits you receive will more than offset this.”

Simon Johnson commercial director.

• Like 1

I think it might well be the option of priority boarding and/or disembarkation that has been doing the rounds for a while, but we'll see. I can't think what else they could offer to entice people to sign up. Ed. 

1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

I think it might well be the option of priority boarding and/or disembarkation that has been doing the rounds for a while, but we'll see. I can't think what else they could offer to entice people to sign up. Ed. 

Possibly allowing club voyage members to be able to book a few days before when the prices for the winter/summer are released

4 hours ago, Cabin-boy said:

Club Voyage members and others with pets are normally loaded near the latest anyway so cant see priority boarding being an option.

I am struggling to follow what the connection is between Club Voyage perks and the increased booking deposit.  What am I missing?

@Gareth there’s only so much you can say about deposits and I was just saying about another price change that BF have introduced, if the mods closed every thread that went of topic there would be none left.

1 hour ago, neilcvx said:

@Gareth there’s only so much you can say about deposits and I was just saying about another price change that BF have introduced, if the mods closed every thread that went of topic there would be none left.

BF haven't changed the price. There's no difference in the crossing fare whether you pay £40 upfront, 25% or all of it.

CV is a different matter, that's a price increase for the same service level... Different topic, needs a different thread or we'll be discussing meal prices next.

10 minutes ago, jonno said:

BF haven't changed the price. There's no difference in the crossing fare whether you pay £40 upfront, 25% or all of it.

CV is a different matter, that's a price increase for the same service level... Different topic, needs a different thread or we'll be discussing meal prices next.

I did go back to edit my post to clarify that but I missed the cut off time.