Jump to content
straightfeed

New deposit price on bookings?

Recommended Posts

Does some sort of waiting list not exist for people in your situation? And if not, how hard would it be for BF to introduce one? At least that way you could be told immediately a booking is cancelled and take the available space or upgrade from a kennel to a cabin if you prefer. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe someone with a better memory could answer this...

Was there a time during the '90's when it was difficult to book a higher standard of cabin as the Holiday Owners Club members blocked booked them all due to the discounted rates hence the reason for the switch to Club Voyage allowing membership for all?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I can see why you might think that, but according to their web site:

"Please note: We are unable to offer a waiting list facility for the availability of pet-friendly cabins or kennels."

So, that would be a no...

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a member of Caravan and Motorhome Club, as I expect a lot on here are, they charge no deposit, so as soon as bookings open for the popular sites they are fully booked for every weekend until the Tuesday before when you can cancel with no penalty. There are a lot of comments online about how unfair it is, but the club don't see a problem as they always sell the pitches at the last minute.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Solo said:

I'm a member of Caravan and Motorhome Club, as I expect a lot on here are, they charge no deposit, so as soon as bookings open for the popular sites they are fully booked for every weekend until the Tuesday before when you can cancel with no penalty. There are a lot of comments online about how unfair it is, but the club don't see a problem as they always sell the pitches at the last minute.

Likewise, and the C&CC too, who do charge a deposit.  The C&MC have a "sanctions" policy for those who abuse the system and cancel without the required notice.  And now you can book a site a year ahead.  It was said that some members made block bookings at several sites and then cancelled when they had decided which one to go to.  I'd rather see a deposit system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are all treated equal which is as it should be.

I'm not a big fan of companies who offer different pricing scales depending on what level of flexibility you want or can afford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Halfcrown said:

Well, I can see why you might think that, but according to their web site:

"Please note: We are unable to offer a waiting list facility for the availability of pet-friendly cabins or kennels."

So, that would be a no...

And if a pet-friendly cabin is free when you check in do they offer to upgrade you then knowing it's available or do they still hold it back in case someone wishes to do so once on board? Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cabin-boy said:

mAnd if a pet-friendly cabin is free when you check in do they offer to upgrade you then knowing it's available or do they still hold it back in case someone wishes to do so once on board? Ed. 

I have never found an available pet friendly cabin on board travelling to Spain in recent years. As has been said the availability of these facilities are extremely rare unless you are lucky enough to find one many months in advance. This new system of 25% deposit  should hopefully increase the likelihood of booking this type of cabin. In the past I have spent many hours checking sailings for accommodation without success - but I have occasionally found availability by telephoning BF every few days a month or so prior to our travel choice date. Lets hope this is now a thing of the past.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Manxscorpio said:

I have never found an available pet friendly cabin on board travelling to Spain in recent years. As has been said the availability of these facilities are extremely rare unless you are lucky enough to find one many months in advance. This new system of 25% deposit  should hopefully increase the likelihood of booking this type of cabin. In the past I have spent many hours checking sailings for accommodation without success - but I have occasionally found availability by telephoning BF every few days a month or so prior to our travel choice date. Lets hope this is now a thing of the past.....

Perhaps in that case the search engine could be configured not to just offer sailing times and prices as a first level option but allow you (if you so wish) to filter the choice by cabin-type availability. That would offer those who are flexible with their travel dates to see at a glance the best option for them in terms of accommodation. Ed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Cabin-boy said:

Perhaps in that case the search engine could be configured not to just offer sailing times and prices as a first level option but allow you (if you so wish) to filter the choice by cabin-type availability. That would offer those who are flexible with their travel dates to see at a glance the best option for them in terms of accommodation. Ed. 

That would be perfect to save time consuming searches - BF must have thought of this wouldn't you think?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, David Williams said:

Well found! The important question though is do they update it when a booking is cancelled? And can it be improved to allow people to know which sailing has availability simply by clicking on the month they wish to travel? Ed. 

Edited by Cabin-boy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well found! The important question though is do they update it when a booking is cancelled? Ed. 

As it was last updated in June, I suspect that the answer is no & the simplest method is to phone BF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cabin-boy said:

Well found! The important question though is do they update it when a booking is cancelled? Ed. 

This is why it is necessary checking by telephone 

Booking Assistance

Our friendly team are available to assist you with your booking or any questions you may have. Please call 0330 159 7000

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Perhaps in that case the search engine could be configured not to just offer sailing times and prices as a first level option but allow you (if you so wish) to filter the choice by cabin-type availability. That would offer those who are flexible with their travel dates to see at a glance the best option for them in terms of accommodation."  It does.  You choose the sailing then move on to choose the cabin type, 2 or 4 berth, inside or outside, etc and on Cap Finistere "Pet Friendly".  If any cabin type is sold out it says so.

A few years ago we were on the Point Aven going to Spain and I thought I'd look at the return sailings, even though we had one booked, and surprise surprise a pet friendly cabin had become available, so I booked it.  The only thing you can do, if you don't get one is to keep checking on the website and see if one turns up.

Edited by auchmill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, nottingham said:

That's useful - is there a schedule for pet - free sailings?  Some might like one for school trip free crossings too!

And maybe one for avoiding those who complain loudly that they can't get a table by the window in the restaurant for dinner, even though it's pitch black in December!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Halfcrown said:

Well, I can see why you might think that, but according to their web site:

"Please note: We are unable to offer a waiting list facility for the availability of pet-friendly cabins or kennels."

So, that would be a no...

This is possibly worth noting for travellers with pets regarding Honfleur on next years booking engine.

This is an extract from Ship Technology, note the area I've highlighted in bold:

"The ferry will also feature luxury cabins and dedicated cabins for people with reduced mobility. All the cabins will be pet-friendly and will have TV and Wi-Fi facilities."

Edited by jonno

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, auchmill said:

 It does.  You choose the sailing then move on to choose the cabin type, 2 or 4 berth, inside or outside, etc and on Cap Finistere "Pet Friendly".  If any cabin type is sold out it says so.o

Yes, but what I was suggesting was that if you wanted a commodore cabin at any time within say a 7 day period because you were flexible with dates you could jump straight to those sailings for which the cabin type wad still available. Or indeed, filter only those sailings with 4-berth availability or pet-friendly cabins etc. Ed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not got a dog so any 4 berth is fine for us and have never had a problem booking. No need for a porthole on a night crossing, It's just a ferry after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, jonno said:

This is possibly worth noting for travellers with pets regarding Honfleur on next years booking engine.

This is an extract from Ship Technology, note the area I've highlighted in bold:

"The ferry will also feature luxury cabins and dedicated cabins for people with reduced mobility. All the cabins will be pet-friendly and will have TV and Wi-Fi facilities."

If that’s correct I won’t be sailing on her , I’m not spending a 3 figure sum to risk listening to barking for 6 hours.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, neilcvx said:

If that’s correct I won’t be sailing on her , I’m not spending a 3 figure sum to risk listening to barking for 6 hours.

What is all this thing about "pet friendly".
Searched for pics of peeps enjoying pet friendly cabins and lots showed their pooch laying in the beds of cabins. Yuk!
Will BF spend hours cleaning out these cabins? I'm for a cabin that has NOT had some mut jumping all over. (stand back for all those owners who will tell me how clean their pets are!)

Years ago the Caravan club had a proposal put to them to rename to the Caravan and Dog Club. Camp sites are full of dogs. Now I suppose I will have to kip in a bed previously slept in by Fido.

Dog owners-off you go now, get typing. I've heard it all.

Stu

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, neilcvx said:

If that’s correct I won’t be sailing on her , I’m not spending a 3 figure sum to risk listening to barking for 6 hours.

If that's true we'll see the Kennel Club making block bookings and the whole deck will be one seething, snarling mass of artificially primped hair and bared teeth. And that's just the owners. Ed. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, neilcvx said:

If that’s correct I won’t be sailing on her , I’m not spending a 3 figure sum to risk listening to barking for 6 hours.

And I simply don't want a cabin previously used by dogs. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...