cvabishop

HMS Queen Elizabeth

I am planning to visit Portsmouth this week  commencing 16th July. Can anyone confirm whether HMS Queen Elizabeth will be in port? We ahve annual dockyard tickets which include harbour boat tours.

ive heard that she will be in till end of october due to repair something before going to america so it will be in for a few months yet

• Like 1

To answer my own question:

VE_Team_PHD, Visitor Experience Team at Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Craig W,

The Mary Rose Museum has very recently decided to separate themselves from the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard ticketing agreement. A result of this was us having a limited amount of time to revise website and leaflet content. We are currently working on an entirely new website which is due to go live in the next few weeks . Aside from leaflets already out at other locations around the country, there are no leaflets which include the Mary Rose Museum still available from our site.

From April 1st we changed our ticket from the All Attraction ticket to the 11 Attraction ticket. We feel this ticket represents excellent value costing roughly £2.50 per attractions for an adult ticket purchased online, and the ticket allowing for unlimited access over the year to the Historic Dockyard attractions.

The Mary Rose Museum have informed us that they will honour any existing All Attraction tickets purchased before April 1st 2018.

I hope this clarifies the situation.

Kind Regards,
Visitor Experience Team

And:

https://maryrose.org/news/the-mary-rose-heads-into-new-territories/

Seems very short sighted policy to me. It seems to have caused a lot of aggravartion.

Colin

There are now two queues to get into the Dockyard - one for the Mary Rose, the other for everything else. Unsurprisingly the "everything else" queue is somewhat longer. Who really wants to go to the Dockyard to see the Mary Rose and ignore all the other attractions?

They have also,recently, parted company with the use of Tesco Vouchers towards the cost..Be interesting to see how their queues fare, going forward.

Being a local living in "Turktown" name for people born in Gosport we visit the Dockyard a fair bit and have had an annual ticket in previous years. What we were told by a number of volunteers was that the people who run the Dockyard exhibitions only gave the Mary Rose £5 on every ticket sold at the gate and or booked online and that was not enough to keep the facilities of the Mary Rose complex going in future years. Although a lot of behind the scenes discussions took place the figure was not increased hence the MR project have gone on their own. To be honest the MR complex has vastly improved since its early days and personally I think it is certainly in the top half of the yard's attractions.

Well, the carrier was moored up and viewable as we had hoped!

With regard to the Dockyard ticketing it is a complex situation. If the Mary Rose were just getting £5 out of each annual ticket it seems low on the face of it but in fact that is quite a significant slice of the overall attractions ‘cake’. The problem is that the cake is really too small.

Some years back I had dealings with the Dockyard Management in connection with covering various functions on behalf of a magazine. It was very apparent that the Dockyard functions on a very tight financial budget and is by no means a money spinner. The various special events during the year such as the Victorian Christmas do make a vital contribution to keeping the whole thing afloat.

The various ticketing options are a constant headache in balancing revenue against upfront costs plus the various attractions have their own individual financial pressures. A bit of a nightmare really.

There are occasional visitors and regular visitors and all need to be accommodated for in some way to maximise revenues. I do have a lot of sympathy for the Dockyard Management predicament. In the case of the Mary Rose, the new museum is indeed a star attraction but presumably those responsible would have been aware of the current revenue streams from dockyard ticket receipts and would have known that they would only be likely to receive £5 per head from annual pass tickets. The increase to £16 for a standard Mary Rose ticket to safeguard the future of the attraction suggests that somebody hasn’t been doing their sums properly.

I don’t know if there is a simple answer to this but the presence of separate entry queues does give a very bad impression to the visiting public and detracts from the overall appeal of a world class attraction.

P1000621 (Copy).JPG

Edited by cvabishop
  • Like 4